Adrian Peterson: 'I'll let it ride'

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Adrian Peterson: 'I'll let it ride'

Post by dead_poet »

MANKATO, Minn. -- If there was ever a point in Adrian Peterson's career with the Minnesota Vikings when he could have thought seriously about leaving, the end of last season could have been it.

Peterson was frustrated with the Vikings' decision to fire Leslie Frazier, a coach for whom the 2012 NFL MVP said he wanted to play for the rest of his career, and he was leery about playing for his third coach in eight years, without any guarantee the Vikings were any closer to winning a championship.

The Vikings' decision to hire Mike Zimmer -- and Zimmer's decision to hire offensive coordinator Norv Turner -- restored Peterson's faith in the organization, he said.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11291 ... ew-coaches
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Adrian Peterson: 'I'll let it ride'

Post by Mothman »

Thanks for the link! I hope he's right and he can win a championship in Minnesota. I really want to see that happen.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Note to Adrian Peterson:

1. You're not LeBron.
2. You have no say in the personnel matter of head coach.
3. You're under contract. You play for whoever is paying you.
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

Eli wrote:Note to Adrian Peterson:

1. You're not LeBron.
You mean like Barry Sanders had to play for the Lions in 1999? :P

Peterson has a choice for whom he plays. Sanders retired after a 5-11 season with the Lions with 4 years left on his contract. Just saying.... :)
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Just Me wrote:Peterson has a choice for whom he plays. Sanders retired after a 5-11 season with the Lions with 4 years left on his contract.
Play for the Vikings or watch them on TV, like the rest of us.
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

Eli wrote: Play for the Vikings or watch them on TV, like the rest of us.
Yes. But he doesn't have to play for the Vikings. (And Sanders didn't play for "his team" - after he became convinced Detroit was not going to create a winning team. Sanders walked with more years left on his contract that Peterson has left on his. That was my point.)

I'm glad Peterson has some optimism for the future... :v):
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Eli wrote:Note to Adrian Peterson:

1. You're not LeBron.
Amen.
indianation65
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by indianation65 »

The surprising part, no, shocking part of this topic, "decided he wanted to play for the rest of his career." Glad his power is in his legs...Go AP, Go Vikes!

...wisdom ?
...spirits in the wind and the trees
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Just Me wrote: Yes. But he doesn't have to play for the Vikings. (And Sanders didn't play for "his team" - after he became convinced Detroit was not going to create a winning team. Sanders walked with more years left on his contract that Peterson has left on his. That was my point.)
And it's a valid point. AD doesn't have to play at all if he doesn't want to, let alone play for the Vikings.
Just Me wrote:I'm glad Peterson has some optimism for the future... :v):
Exactly. I hope it spreads throughout the rest of the team.

It's good to hear that AD has confidence in the new coaching and coordinating.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

losperros wrote:And it's a valid point. AD doesn't have to play at all if he doesn't want to, let alone play for the Vikings.
What do you mean: "let alone"? It's either he plays for the Vikings or he retires. There is no "let alone".

If Adrian Peterson were to retire now (or next season, or the season after, or any year while he's still under contract) it would be the single biggest condemnation of the organization in the teams' 50+ year history. It would be the single most damning action ever taken by a Viking player. It's not going to happen. He's more likely to go play for the Raiders or the Dolphins when his contract expires and he's still capable of 2 1/2 yards per carry.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Peterson isn't asking to be traded, threatening to leave the team or suggesting he should have a say in who the Vikings hire as head coach so what's the point of all this? The article basically says he was demoralized when a coach he liked and wanted to play for was fired. He had doubts but the new staff has gained his confidence and he's "bought back in".

If he ever decides he wants out of his contract, there are probably ways to accomplish that (it's not like it hasn't been done before) but he's not trying to get out of it now. He obviously, and understandably, wants to win a championship before his career is over but I see no reason to fault him for that, or for talking about it. We're all tired of the Vikings losing (or occasionally coming up just short of reaching the Super Bowl) and we're not putting in the effort or taking the beating he is to try and win. He's entitled to have feelings and opinions about his career and he's entitled to express them. It's nota big deal

In other words, nothing to see here... it was little more than a filler piece by Goessling.
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

Eli wrote:
If Adrian Peterson were to retire now (or next season, or the season after, or any year while he's still under contract) it would be the single biggest condemnation of the organization in the teams' 50+ year history. It would be the single most damning action ever taken by a Viking player. It's not going to happen.
Agreed on all the above points (because Peterson is seeing some hope for the future). :smilevike:
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Eli wrote: What do you mean: "let alone"? It's either he plays for the Vikings or he retires. There is no "let alone".
Right. Peterson doesn't have to play if he doesn't want to, let alone for the Vikings (or any other team).

As Jim said, it's not a big deal anyway. If AD wants out, there probably are ways for that to happen. But he doesn't want out and he's entitled to his viewpoint.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

From a new Jim Souhan column about Adrian Peterson's drive to be the best:
“It’s important to me to finish my career here,” he said. “I really have a lot of respect for the Minnesota Vikings. I really didn’t play much college ball, because of injuries. They saw something in me that those six teams that passed on me didn’t see.

“It goes back to the combine, too. I never was that guy who was going to sell himself during a meeting with teams. I didn’t say, ‘If you don’t pick me, you’re going to regret it.’ I just answered their questions. I wanted them to do their job. I thought the Vikings did their job. They selected me, and things have been pretty good so far. We haven’t won a championship, but I don’t think they regret the pick.

“I know it’s a business. On the personal side, my goal is to finish my career as a Minnesota Viking. I would like to finish my career having played for just one team. Not many people get to do that. That would be special.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Mothman wrote:From a new Jim Souhan column about Adrian Peterson's drive to be the best:
Nice. Do you have a link to the rest of the column? I really want a championship with Adrian Peterson on the roster.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly