Leaner Shariff Floyd ready to step out of Williams' shadow

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Demi
Commissioner

Re: Leaner Shariff Floyd ready to step out of Williams' shad

Post by Demi »

Eli wrote:I have a bit of a hard time buying the argument that 7 lbs makes much of a difference to someone weighing in the 300-320 lb range.
If he just dropped 7 pounds of fat and that's it. But the weight change could make more of a difference if he really got to work and added some muscle while still dropping that weight.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: Leaner Shariff Floyd ready to step out of Williams' shad

Post by dead_poet »

Related story...

Lighter Floyd hopes to make heavier impact with Vikings

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikin ... 09261.html
he veteran defensive line coach had been digging through Floyd’s college game tape to see what he would be getting in the 2013 first-round draft pick. What he saw was a disruptive lineman who recorded 46 tackles and three sacks as a junior while leading the Gators with 13 tackles for a loss.

Two hundred ninety-five pounds, Floyd replied.

“Well, I want that guy,” Patterson said.

A few months and countless Caesar salads later, Floyd arrived at Minnesota State Mankato feeling like his old self. This will be a big training camp for Floyd, who played behind veteran Kevin Williams during his rookie season. Now, the Vikings are counting on him to live up to his promise as a former first-round pick and step into a starting role, and they feel with a slimmer waistline and a year of NFL experience under his belt, Floyd isn’t going to let them down.

“We’re counting on him to be a really good football player for us. Big time,” Patterson said. “If Sharrif can be physical, quick and explosive, if he can bring those things to the table for us every single day, it’s going to give our defense a chance to be successful.”

After Floyd, who some analysts thought could be drafted as high as third overall in 2013, fell into the Vikings’ lap, he played only 39.3 percent of the defensive plays due to the presence of Williams, a perennial Pro Bowler as their three-technique tackle. Floyd made minimal impact with 19 tackles and 2.5 sacks in 16 games.

“What did you expect? He had a future Hall-of-Famer in front of him,” said Patterson, who is in his second stint as the team’s defensive line coach. “Sharrif was not going to get a whole lot of reps because of the guy who was playing in front of him. To me, you can’t count that against him.”
Former coach Leslie Frazier’s staff asked Floyd to bulk up as soon as he arrived as a rookie. Floyd obliged and reported to camp at 315 pounds. During the season, he weighed closer to 320 at times.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly