2014 Vikings Training Camp notes/interviews

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Re: 2014 Vikings Training Camp notes/interviews

Post by mosscarter »

this guy is great. talk about an entire change in culture. this is how head football coaches should act, but many don't.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

mosscarter wrote:this guy is great. talk about an entire change in culture. this is how head football coaches should act, but many don't.
The guy is so amazing that he's been coaching in the NFL for for 20 years and never been offered a head coaching job before. Prior to that, he spent 15 years in the college coaching ranks. Again, without ever having been a head coach.
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

Zimmer has reached the status of Parcels and Belichick on VMB and he hasn't even been the head coach in a single NFL game.

I hope he lives up to expectations :v):
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

i think the thing is with zimmer, and we'll see is that he really paid his dues. lombardi didn't become a head coach until later either, and in a documentary about him they said "he knew this was his chance and he wasn't going to mess it up."
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Eli wrote: The guy is so amazing that he's been coaching in the NFL for for 20 years and never been offered a head coaching job before. Prior to that, he spent 15 years in the college coaching ranks. Again, without ever having been a head coach.
Eli,

:D
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Awwwe, shucks. :oops:

I'm as hopeful as anyone for the success of the new head coach. But the endless fawning over every little thing he does is getting to be rather humorous.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Eli wrote:Awwwe, shucks. :oops:

I'm as hopeful as anyone for the success of the new head coach. But the endless fawning over every little thing he does is getting to be rather humorous.
:lol: ...and then the avatar change. Love it! :clap:
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Was there ever any news on the unnamed player who failed the conditioning test yesterday at camp?
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Has Crichton been playing DE on one particular side or on both sides? I wonder if Robison needs to start worrying about his starting job.

How is Brinkley with both the 1st and 2nd linebacker groups? I just hope to God that Brinkley, Cole and Greenway aren't the starting linebackers by the time week 1 rolls around. That's far from an inspiring lineup.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Has Crichton been playing DE on one particular side or on both sides? I wonder if Robison needs to start worrying about his starting job.

How is Brinkley with both the 1st and 2nd linebacker groups? I just hope to God that Brinkley, Cole and Greenway aren't the starting linebackers by the time week 1 rolls around. That's far from an inspiring lineup.
I get the feeling we got two studs in this draft Crichton and McKinnon have the potential to be all pro's in the NFL, maybe even more
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Eli wrote:Has Crichton been playing DE on one particular side or on both sides? I wonder if Robison needs to start worrying about his starting job.
Probably not... at least not at this point.

Thus far, I've only read about Crichton playing RDE but that doesn't mean he's not getting snaps at both DE positions.

As I understand it, Zimmer's scheme tends to involve quite a bit of rotation along the d-line so I suspect Crichton (and Wooton, for that matter) will be subbing for Griffen and Robison and perhaps even playing inside at times.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

As I understand it, Zimmer's scheme tends to involve quite a bit of rotation along the d-line so I suspect Crichton (and Wooton, for that matter) will be subbing for Griffen and Robison and perhaps even playing inside at times.
I could see Barr rotating in at DE in pass rush as well.

I would be surprised if we don't have 4-6 different guys coming in at DE/ OLB to rush and stunt
on certain downs.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

jackal wrote: I could see Barr rotating in at DE in pass rush as well.
Sure, or zone blitzing from an LB spot while Griffen or one of the other athletic linemen drop back. I'm guessing all of that stuff is on the menu.
I would be surprised if we don't have 4-6 different guys coming in at DE/ OLB to rush and stunt on certain downs.
If not more...
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Ben Goessling ‏@GoesslingESPN 1m
Zimmer complimentary of Robert Blanton and his awareness in coverage. Still needs to see how his tackling technique looks.
I've been seeing a LOT of good things said about Robert Blanton already. Apparently playing with the 1s along side Harrison Smith.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

FOX Sports' Jay Glazer reports rookie Teddy Bridgewater has already begun splitting first-team reps with Matt Cassel at Vikings camp.

Glazer reports there is "hugeeee optimism" about Bridgewater among team brass, and he's "definitely been more impressive than they expected." Cassel remains the slight favorite to start on Opening Day, but Bridgewater has quickly made it an interesting camp battle. Bridgewater's passing strengths are at the short and intermediate levels. He could be a great fit with Kyle Rudolph.

Source: Jay Glazer on Twitter