Greenway at MIKE?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Greenway at MIKE?

Post by dead_poet »

Chad Greenway - LB - Vikings

Vikings coach Mike Zimmer is open to moving Chad Greenway to middle linebacker.

Zimmer played strong-side linebacker last season under Leslie Frazier. He practiced at weak side during OTAs, and is now under consideration at Mike. "It’s a possibility," Zimmer said. "We keep working him in there. We’re just trying to find the best 11 players we can and then figure out where the rest of the guys are going to fit." Greenway's IDP stock could rise in the middle.
Source: Minneapolis Star-Tribune
http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikin ... page=2&c=y
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Eli
Hall of Famer

Re: Greenway at MIKE?

Post by Eli »

Whatever works. Assuming Barr will be a starter, who becomes the other OLB? It seemed fairly obvious with Barr and Greenway on the outside, then you'd have either Cole or Mauti (or, God help us, Brinkley) in the middle.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Eli wrote:Whatever works. Assuming Barr will be a starter, who becomes the other OLB? It seemed fairly obvious with Barr and Greenway on the outside, then you'd have either Cole or Mauti (or, God help us, Brinkley) in the middle.
Maybe Gerald Hodges is the other OLB. Does anyone know how he's been in camp?
oldskoolvikingfan
Starter

Post by oldskoolvikingfan »

I don't think Greenway will play the Mike lb spot. I think that Brinkley or Cole is gonna start at Mike and Greenway will play weakside.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Eli wrote:Whatever works. Assuming Barr will be a starter, who becomes the other OLB? It seemed fairly obvious with Barr and Greenway on the outside, then you'd have either Cole or Mauti (or, God help us, Brinkley) in the middle.
Would be nice to see some younger more athletic guys on the outside that's for sure!
DanAS
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by DanAS »

dead_poet wrote:Chad Greenway - LB - Vikings

Zimmer played strong-side linebacker last season under Leslie Frazier. He practiced at weak side during OTAs, and is now under consideration at Mike. "It’s a possibility," Zimmer said. "We keep working him in there. We’re just trying to find the best 11 players we can and then figure out where the rest of the guys are going to fit." Greenway's IDP stock could rise in the middle.
I'm really excited to have Zimmer to help us on the defensive side of the ball ... but I'm not sold on our talent level on that side of the ball.

Greenway at the Mike Backer? I'd love it if it could work, but I'm having trouble picturing him having the kind of toughness and ferocity needed to thrive at that position. And would he be durable enough at this stage of the game?
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

I've said a few time before on VMB, but that might be the best move. It could optimize what you'll get out of a declining Greenway. I think it's probably his preference, but it depends on if he can get others up to speed in order to fill the outside spots.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

dead_poet wrote:Chad Greenway - LB - Vikings

I know he likes to get involved with the defense but that might be a bit much? :twisted:
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

S197 wrote: I know he likes to get involved with the defense but that might be a bit much? :twisted:
I bet Zimmer could turn himself into a star! He's known for getting the most out of players, I've heard.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I am assuming they will have Greenway making the defensive calls if he is at Mike

I believe Zimmer ran a hybrid 4-3 defense with the Bengals.. I am assuming we will run something
similar in Minnesota. I am also assuming we will shuffle our defensive line in and out to keep them
fresh and create match up problems.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Cliff wrote: I bet Zimmer could turn himself into a star! He's known for getting the most out of players, I've heard.
Didn't we sign a LB named Mike Zimmer?

I know that the mistake in the article was supposed to be referring to Greenway, but that's a funny coincidence (if I'm remembering correctly).
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

I think I posted this before, but I think it was on Rosen's Sports Sunday that Greenway said he would be fine at MIKE, this was months ago. Rousse said hes been getting a lot of reps there. He cant cover, but no LBs we have can. Greenway would be perfect at MIKE right now. Zimmer will drop Jasper the second the games matter. All the other young LB's we have, wouldn't be any more ready for mike then Greenway anyway.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

fiestavike wrote: We'll be in nickel 65-70 percent of the time anyway.
Will they? This isn't the same coaching staff as last year, so I don't expect the same mistakes. If you're going to be more aggressive rushing the passer and you also want to contain the run, you generally do it with linebackers. And the Vikings don't exactly have a set of defensive backs that are much better in coverage than their linebackers.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Eli wrote: Will they? This isn't the same coaching staff as last year, so I don't expect the same mistakes. If you're going to be more aggressive rushing the passer and you also want to contain the run, you generally do it with linebackers. And the Vikings don't exactly have a set of defensive backs that are much better in coverage than their linebackers.
It's a passing league so you see a lot of nickel and dime sets. Especially in the NFC North with Rodgers, Cutler, and Stafford. Maybe if the Vikings were playing the 49ers or Seahawks you'd see a little more base defense but I think somewhere in the 60 percentile makes sense.