Sidney Rice retires

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

DarthBrooks
Transition Player

Sidney Rice retires

Post by DarthBrooks »

News:

http://www.kfan.com/onair/vikings-blog- ... t-12596654
Citing concerns over concussions, former Viking Sidney Rice has retired from the NFL. In a statement delivered via seahawks.com, Rice said, “I was just thinking about things I’ve been through in the last few years. I’ve hit the ground a number of times. I have quite a few injuries. It’s something I’ve always battled through and came back from. But I just figure at this point I have the rest of my life ahead of me and I want to be able to function and do things later down the road.”
View:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Sidney Rice retires

Post by Raptorman »

Yawn.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

WOW! Probably a smart move on Rice's part (I hope he socked away some cash to live on), but man am I glad he went to the Seahawks...
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Rice was one of my favorites when he was here.

That being said - Rice really screwed this team over by waiting to get surgery. I honestly don't feel like our team would have been nearly as bad in 2010 had Rice had surgery early in the offseason and been on the field.

Still, it was hard to see him injured all the time. I hope he can lead a healthy post-football-life.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

HA HA one down , one t go harvin will be next. A year ago I said in 3 years both Rice and Harvin will be out of the NFL. I still go two years to go and one down already. Neither want to Play in the NFL, they just like the Hoopla and the Perks
HornedMessiah
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by HornedMessiah »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:Rice really screwed this team over by waiting to get surgery. I honestly don't feel like our team would have been nearly as bad in 2010 had Rice had surgery early in the offseason and been on the field
Yup, that injury had a big impact on the immediate future of the team. No Sidney so they trade for Moss, who has a baby tantrum and gets cut. Childress gets canned for making all these decisions. Frazier takes over and the dome collapses. I think it was all cursed from the beginning though when they had to go down to Mississippi and kidnap Favre. Sidney being healthy probably wouldn't have changed anything.

So I wonder what Sid's favorite NFL memory is: being on a team that won the SB but in a season in which you barely played, or the almost-SB in 2009 with Favre throwing to you?
oldskoolvikingfan
Starter

Post by oldskoolvikingfan »

This makes me even more glad that we didn't resign him. He was mediocre throughout his entire career except for the one season with favre.

"That being said - Rice really screwed this team over by waiting to get surgery. I honestly don't feel like our team would have been nearly as bad in 2010 had Rice had surgery early in the offseason and been on the field."

I actually think it was a good thing that he waited for the surgery because if not we would have kept him on the team and possible resigned him and we might not have gotten jennings or patterson or both.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Is he still not injury prone? :lol:
NDVikeFan
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by NDVikeFan »

Jesus guys the guy is retiring do to concussions and you guys are Happy?

I just hope he can live a normal non football life.

I think had he been able to stay healthy he would have been a good NFL receiver.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Wow, shocked at all the :lol: and "told you so's" in this thread.
Jesus guys the guy is retiring do to concussions and you guys are Happy?
Yeah, I wanted to post something about this yesterday, but the thread just started and I was hoping that Vikings fans would be better than that, but nah...Every fan base is the same. Ridiculous how far people take these things like it's an extension of being a fan. Pathetic.

Sidney was a beast in '09 and quickly became a favorite. He had some great games in Seattle, but injuries dampened his career. He's a great guy and a class act. I'm glad that he's able to recognize the possible future ramifications that concussion's play and get out while his brain health is still good.
TJ24
Waterboy

Post by TJ24 »

With the hits he's been takin percy will be next for early retirement.
DarthBrooks
Transition Player

Post by DarthBrooks »

I really, really hate to admit this, but when I posted the thread I momentarily got Sidney Rice confused with Percy Harvin.

I will now find some way to do penance.
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

Well, let's wish Sidney well in his retirement. It's a shame he couldn't stay healthy, because he did show flashes of brilliance in between injuries. Skol, Sidney.
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida