Vikings position preview

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Vikings position preview

Post by dead_poet »

Quarterbacks: http://espn.go.com/blog/minnesota-vikin ... arterbacks
Player to watch: Bridgewater was impressive during the Vikings' OTAs and minicamp, throwing a better deep ball than many expected him to have and making a number of difficult sideline throws down the field. He's shown an eagerness to learn the Vikings' offense and was already making checks at the line of scrimmage during minicamp, after about a month in the playbook. He hit 53.5 percent of his passes under pressure at Louisville last season, according to ESPN Stats & Information; Ponder hit only 46.9 percent of his throws under pressure, while Cassel was at 38.5 percent. Defenses will certainly be tougher in the NFL, and Bridgewater will have to make even quicker decisions, but his success under pressure in college gives him a good foundation for the NFL.
Running Backs: http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikin ... 95061.html
THE BURNING QUESTION: How are the Vikings going to use McKinnon? We got a glimpse during offseason workouts and the minicamp, but we will get a better idea during training camp. McKinnon is quick, shifty and one of the most athletic players on the roster. To put his skill set to use, though, they will have to take Peterson off the field -- or find creative ways to use them together. Could a Sproles-type hybrid role be in the plans for the rookie? We’ll soon find out.
Offensive Line: http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikin ... 29201.html
THE BURNING QUESTION: Will Kalil return to form this season? He’s expected to be a full participant this week in training camp after recovering from minor left knee surgery. Whether that’s the reason for his subpar performance last season is unknown, but Kalil regressed from an impressive rookie season at left tackle. Defensive ends blew right by him with ease at times last year. Kalil’s quarterback hits allowed jumping from four to 12 and quarterback hurries from 20 to 33 last year. Kalil still has the ability to return back to the performance level of his rookie season, that’s not in question. Will he, on the other hand, is something he’ll have to answer in September.
Defensive Line: http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikin ... 15932.html
WHERE THINGS STAND: Outside of Brian Robison, the defensive line looked, well, different this spring without a pair of longtime defensive cornerstones in Kevin Williams and Jared Allen. The Vikings allowed those two to leave in free agency, instead hitching their wagon to talented but unproven youngsters in Sharrif Floyd and Everson Griffen. Still, new head coach Mike Zimmer, who relied on a deep defensive line rotation in Cincinnati, said last month that he thinks the Vikings will have enough talent and depth along the defensive line. He couldn’t say definitively, though, because a few key contributors were either sidelined by injuries or ineligible to practice due to NFL rules. Griffen and free-agent signee Linval Joseph, a big nose tackle, were limited this spring, as was versatile backup defensive end Corey Wootton. And fellow end Scott Crichton was stuck at Oregon State until the mandatory minicamp. The return of those four to active duty will boost the defensive line in training camp, giving Zimmer’s coaching staff a lot to evaluate.
Defensive Backs: http://espn.go.com/blog/minnesota-vikin ... sive-backs
Quotable: "The thing that Captain has done is, he is a smart guy, he has got some knowledge about things, but he's been very good in the slot," coach Mike Zimmer said. "He understands route concepts, he communicates well, so that part has been good to have him in there. If I can continue to get him to do what I want him to do then he is a calming factor."
Last edited by dead_poet on Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:56 am, edited 4 times in total.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Vikings position preview

Post by Mothman »

Thanks for the link. It's encouraging that Bridgewater was already comfortable enough to make checks at the line of scrimmage during minicamp. Hopefully, he'll continue showing that kind of grasp of the playbook and the position during training camp. When does that start anyway? It can't get here soon enough.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Mothman wrote:When does that start anyway? It can't get here soon enough.
July 25!

http://www.vikings.com/schedule/trainin ... edule.html
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Thanks. I can't wait!
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

I'm glad to hear positive words about Bridgewater. I'm certainly hoping for him to succeed, both for the Vikings and because I've liked his play since college ball.

Interesting that Ponder had a better percentage under pressure than Cassel. For whatever reason, it appeared to me at the time that the opposite was true.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

losperros wrote:Interesting that Ponder had a better percentage under pressure than Cassel. For whatever reason, it appeared to me at the time that the opposite was true.
I think that's because Ponder was much more likely to pull the ball down and run with it, or else dump it off short to an outlet receiver. In many cases, he would appear to break off the play earlier than you'd like from a veteran QB. Cassel took the approach of hanging in longer and trying to complete the pass that was called in the huddle. Not sure who had more success in similar situations, or if it was a wash.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Updated with running backs
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Updated with offensive line
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I'm not really worried about Kalil. I think our new staff will straighten him out.
I'm hoping Yankey takes over the left guard spot. Johnson is not a good player and
struggles against stronger players and block schemes, yeah he sucks.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

jackal wrote:I'm not really worried about Kalil. I think our new staff will straighten him out.
I'm hoping Yankey takes over the left guard spot. Johnson is not a good player and
struggles against stronger players and block schemes, yeah he sucks.
That's putting it mildly.
DanAS
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by DanAS »

dead_poet wrote:
Do we know why he regressed? Therein lies your answer, probably. Because he sure did stink it up, and without him playing at near Pro-Bowl level, this is an altogether different team.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

DanAS wrote: Do we know why he regressed? Therein lies your answer, probably. Because he sure did stink it up, and without him playing at near Pro-Bowl level, this is an altogether different team.
I'm chalking it up to injuries. I believe it was Pelissero eluded in an interview podcast I posted last week that he thought perhaps Kalil wasn't studying/practicing well enough last season, that he got complacent and was used to just being physically superior and didn't put in the extra work. He also suggested Kalil wasn't prepared physically with his eating either, which I don't buy due to seeing several interviews with the guy and his nutrition program (he has a hard time keeping weight ON). But this will be a big year for him and there will be even more focus on the guy. Going up against Jared Allen for the first couple of years had to have helped and now Griffen. I really hope it was just due to injury.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Edited to include the defensive line
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Edited with everybody's favorite group to target: defensive backs. Worth noting that beat reporter Ben Goessling is apparently a big Prater fan. I didn't know it, but apparently he was drafted when Zimmer was with the Bengals so there's some familiarity and comfort level there.
@Kevin_VFP @Andrew_Krammer is a big Prater guy. Worth keeping in mind the Bengals drafted him when Zimmer was there.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

dead_poet wrote:Edited with everybody's favorite group to target: defensive backs. Worth noting that beat reporter Ben Goessling is apparently a big Prater fan. I didn't know it, but apparently he was drafted when Zimmer was with the Bengals so there's some familiarity and comfort level there.
Shuan Prater, Iowa Hawkeye, 5th round draft pick. The guy was a big time player (along with Micah Hyde) for the Hawkeyes. I wanted us to draft him. I was glad when we signed him last season. Prater has talent and I hope he can make the team this year.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.