2014 MINNESOTA VIKINGS DRAFT PROFILE: ANTONE EXUM

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

2014 MINNESOTA VIKINGS DRAFT PROFILE: ANTONE EXUM

Post by dead_poet »

Taking a step back to look at the whole picture, Antone Exum is a perfect fit for the Vikings at the safety position. He provides depth and competition at a position where quality players are difficult to find. His usage can quickly supplement a lack of cornerback depth. The scheme matches his array of skillsets. Exum provides tremendous value to the Vikings for a sixth round pick and may even contribute right away. Here’s to sustained health.
http://vikingsterritory.com/2014/analys ... ntone-exum
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
jackal
Strong Safety

Re: 2014 MINNESOTA VIKINGS DRAFT PROFILE: ANTONE EXUM

Post by jackal »

I hope Exum isn't another Child's pick for us ...
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

I actually don't have a problem with the Vikings taking chances on injured guys that would have otherwise gone much higher in the draft. Especially with picks in the 6th round when many of those players don't pan out anyway. If it's a gamble either way might as well take the risk on the higher ceiling.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

yeah 6th is okay but Childs was a fourth round pick I believe
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

jackal wrote:yeah 6th is okay but Childs was a fourth round pick I believe
That's true ... but Childs' injury actually got worse after the Vikings drafted him. He blew out both knees in training camp. I don't think he was as beat up as Exum heading into the draft.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

yeah I was bummed because I watched the highlights of him and he appeared to be a great value in the fourth..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmSgv7X5h0E

sometimes injuries just happen and there is nothing you can do about it
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

jackal wrote:yeah I was bummed because I watched the highlights of him and he appeared to be a great value in the fourth..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmSgv7X5h0E

sometimes injuries just happen and there is nothing you can do about it
He had a lot of upside, it was unfortunate what happened to him.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Cliff wrote: That's true ... but Childs' injury actually got worse after the Vikings drafted him. He blew out both knees in training camp. I don't think he was as beat up as Exum heading into the draft.
I'm not too terribly concerned with Exum's knee. It was an ACL, which doesn't seem to be the speed/career-killer these days as it once was. Plus, he's only 23 so youth is on his side. I'm more concerned with his reactions/awareness, tackling ability/angles and fluidity.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

He certainly looked badly out of position playing cornerback at VT. But I'm sure you say that for nearly every safety playing in the NFL today. Let's just hope he can tackle (or can learn to tackle) better than some of the safeties the Vikings currently have on the squad.

Competition, depth, and perhaps a diamond in the rough. He may or may not make it, but it's not a bad draft pick.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Let's just hope he can tackle (or can learn to tackle) better than some of the safeties the Vikings currently have on the squad.
I am really hoping this coaching staff is really big on fundamentals... in years past our corners would never turn and look for the ball and there
was a lot of times they were in a spot to pick a ball if they would have been aware..I would scream at the television,"look for the ball, stupid!!!"
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

jackal wrote: I am really hoping this coaching staff is really big on fundamentals... in years past our corners would never turn and look for the ball and there
was a lot of times they were in a spot to pick a ball if they would have been aware..I would scream at the television,"look for the ball, stupid!!!"
You are right, Cook was the "Poster Child" for that move :wallbang:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
sonicology
Backup

Post by sonicology »

Nice article :thumbsup:

Excited to see what this kid can do, of all our late round picks I feel like he has the highest potential.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Nice article :thumbsup:

Excited to see what this kid can do, of all our late round picks I feel like he has the highest potential.

I think Scott Crighton is going to be the hidden gem in this draft.
sonicology
Backup

Post by sonicology »

jackal wrote:I think Scott Crighton is going to be the hidden gem in this draft.
I've got high hopes for him also, but I see Exum as a potential starter from week 1 whereas Crighton is more of a rotation/squad player.