Could Kyle Rudolph break out under new Vikings OC Turner?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Could Kyle Rudolph break out under new Vikings OC Turner?

Post by dead_poet »

“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
jackal
Strong Safety

Re: Could Kyle Rudolph break out under new Vikings OC Turner

Post by jackal »

very possibly .. Gates has solid years when Turner was in SD
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

From the ESPN piece:
He is now about 260 pounds, he said, after playing at 275 last season,
I had no idea he'd gotten that heavy. I thought at first they were talking about him playing at around 240 or 245 this year. At that weight he could be a big threat lined up as a WR.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

And from Pelissero's USA Today piece (quoting Rudolph):
"So much of it is the exact same thing (Turner)'s been running for 20 years. It's the same plays. It's funny when you throw that on there and you see Novacek running it, Michael Irvin, Troy Aikman. Those are all guys that I grew up watching."
That's the thing that concerns me most about Norv Turner taking over the offense. Sounds like he's installing the same offense that he's been running for almost 25 years.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

If it ain't broke...
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

S197 wrote:If it ain't broke...
Yeah, I'm sure that's what Norv thinks. I'm concerned about a) how well it's evolved to today's game, b) how predictable his playcalling may have become, and c) how well suited it will be to an offense with Adrian Peterson and questionable QB talent. Yeah, I know Norv has had some very good running backs in his offenses before, but he's also had much better quarterbacking.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Eli wrote: Yeah, I'm sure that's what Norv thinks. I'm concerned about a) how well it's evolved to today's game, b) how predictable his playcalling may have become, and c) how well suited it will be to an offense with Adrian Peterson and questionable QB talent. Yeah, I know Norv has had some very good running backs in his offenses before, but he's also had much better quarterbacking.
He addressed this a little during the offseason saying he was going to be adding some new things (someone posted the article hopefully they'll remember). I don't think it was anything drastic but I think he did recognize that some of his stuff he's been doing for a long time now and probably needs some tweaking.
King James
All Pro Elite Player

Post by King James »

His play-calling work against us last year vs The Browns against a 3rd string QB. Norv Turner has to be doing something right. The offense was actually pretty good up until Hoyer got hurt. But I'll take old plays over Bill Musgrave's vanilla play-calling.
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

He should. He was the #1 tight end when he was drafted. If he can't excel under Turner then he just isn't any good
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Laserman wrote:He should. He was the #1 tight end when he was drafted.
Which doesn't mean a lot. Every year there's a #1. And a #2. And so on. They add up after a couple of years, making it less likely that any given year's #1 is going to stand out over all the rest. Draft position doesn't mean much once a player gets on the field and starts competing.
If he can't excel under Turner then he just isn't any good
We already know that Rudolph is good. In fact, he's very good. The question is whether he'll take that next step into becoming one of the elite TEs in the NFL. But there's always a question when it comes to Vikings' receivers of late: Could so-and-so be much better with a good QB and a better run offense? It's difficult to know for sure.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

I have been wondering this too. He has proved what he can do with good play calling and a good QB. With the other weapons on the O, Kyle may be pro bowl bound. Teddy is very effective mid range, yet if they don't cover Patterson, Wright and Jennings, they could get hurt fast. I haven't been this excited about a season in a very long time.
headless_norseman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by headless_norseman »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:I have been wondering this too. He has proved what he can do with good play calling and a good QB. With the other weapons on the O, Kyle may be pro bowl bound. Teddy is very effective mid range, yet if they don't cover Patterson, Wright and Jennings, they could get hurt fast. I haven't been this excited about a season in a very long time.

I'd be a lot more exited sans this tough schedule.
A successful coach needs a patient wife, loyal dog, and great quarterback - and not necessarily in that order.

-- Bud Grant
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Laserman wrote:He should. He was the #1 tight end when he was drafted. If he can't excel under Turner then he just isn't any good
A guy who made the Pro Bowl and was the MVP already, it would be hard to imagine that he won't excel under Turner if he already has with Musgrave.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
headless_norseman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by headless_norseman »

I think 800 yds and 6-8 TD's is realistic for Kyle.
A successful coach needs a patient wife, loyal dog, and great quarterback - and not necessarily in that order.

-- Bud Grant
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Let's hope so!

ESPN - Vikings, TE Kyle Rudolph agree to 5-year contract extension that could be worth up to $40M - source

More here: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... r-contract

:govikes: