Best wins in Vikings History

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Purpnation
Franchise Player

Re: Best wins in Vikings History

Post by Purpnation »

mosscarter wrote:you people ripping randy moss amaze me. he is the greatest wide receiver to ever step onto a football field. give him montana and steve young in their primes he would have MURDERED rice's records. instead he played with something like 5 different qb's in his first 6 years. then what happened when he met brady? that record will never be broken. so what he had an attitude, but that was the greatest element about him. he danced to no one's drum, and i personally admire that in a culture of athletes who do everything "by the books." i wasn't around for the old school vikings, but in my lifetime randy moss was by far and away the best viking i've ever seen. and i'll go even further out on a limb, one of the best ATHLETES i've ever seen period. you talk about him leaving the field early??? get real. favre did it in green bay, isiah thomas and the ENTIRE PISTONS TEAM did it in detroit and there are many others too. the fact that moss doesn't have a superbowl in purple tells you how pathetic and shameful our defenses really were because he was that good. montana and rice played together for so long they knew each other's moves like telepathy. moss NEVER had that advantage and he was way better than rice. they say rice was a better route runner which is total b.s., montana made rice a precise route runner and steve young has the highest completion percentage still to this day. end of story. there will never be another receiver like randy moss.

When did Favre walk off the field on his team early?

BTW, I think Randy was one of the greatest players to ever play the game but his moon and walking off the field was to far, just my opinion.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

808vikingsfan wrote:Blame Joe Buck. It was his over REACTION( I hear Jim Rome imitating Hacksaw Hamilton every time I see that word) that turned a simple celebration, in a big game, against a hated rival, into, well, it's been said. Disgusting act? I don't think so.
I did think Buck overreacted but a player pretending to wipe his ### on the goal post seems pretty disgusting to me.

Those acting as if there's no room for a sense of humor or fun in the NFL if something like what Moss did isn't permitted are engaging in an argument of extremes and no, Joe Buck isn't to blame. Moss is to blame. He's the one who did it and his history of disrespect for the game definitely fed into the way people reacted to that moment, just as the athleticism and playmaking ability he displayed with the Vikings are the main reason his loyal, adoring fans are willing to defend him. If Naufahu Tahi had scored that TD and done the same thing, I doubt there would be so many people defending it almost a decade after the fact (wow, it's hard to believe it's been that long).

On the other hand, it did happen against the hated Packers so who knows?
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote: I did think Buck overreacted but a player pretending to wipe his ### on the goal post seems pretty disgusting to me.

Those acting as if there's no room for a sense of humor or fun in the NFL if something like what Moss did isn't permitted are engaging in an argument of extremes and no, Joe Buck isn't to blame. Moss is to blame. He's the one who did it and his history of disrespect for the game definitely fed into the way people reacted to that moment, just as the athleticism and playmaking ability he displayed with the Vikings are the main reason his loyal, adoring fans are willing to defend him. If Naufahu Tahi had scored that TD and done the same thing, I doubt there would be so many people defending it almost a decade after the fact (wow, it's hard to believe it's been that long).

On the other hand, it did happen against the hated Packers so who knows?
According to Cris Collinsworth, it happened because Moss was tired of the Pack fans. He didn't wipe his #### on the goal post. He pretended to moon the Pack fans, who constantly moon (for real) the opposing team's bus after games. Adding to that was how the fans threw beer at Daunte Culpepper's wife and repeatedly called Moss the "N" word from the stands (again this is from Collinsworth). Seems to me that might explain why Moss may have been at least mildly provoked to taunt the fans back.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

losperros wrote:According to Cris Collinsworth, it happened because Moss was tired of the Pack fans. He didn't wipe his #### on the goal post.

He did both, Craig, but the "moon" was the main act. I'm aware of the explanations given for his behavior and it was hardly the crime of the century but I still think it was the wrong thing to do and the wrong time to do it, regardless of whatever provocation he felt from immature, obnoxious Packers fans.
Purpnation
Franchise Player

Post by Purpnation »

losperros wrote: According to Cris Collinsworth, it happened because Moss was tired of the Pack fans. He didn't wipe his #### on the goal post. He pretended to moon the Pack fans, who constantly moon (for real) the opposing team's bus after games. Adding to that was how the fans threw beer at Daunte Culpepper's wife and repeatedly called Moss the "N" word from the stands (again this is from Collinsworth). Seems to me that might explain why Moss may have been at least mildly provoked to taunt the fans back.

Again, these are FANS. I've seen fans flip off the opposing teams bus as well, would it be acceptable for a player to score a TD and flip off the opposing fans?

Jeez, there are plenty of fans who act retarded, it is NOT acceptable to act the same way in retaliation as a player. For #### sake, people, have some class. The only possible reason for defending his actions are because of your fan allegiance, nothing more.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Purpnation wrote:
Again, these are FANS. I've seen fans flip off the opposing teams bus as well, would it be acceptable for a player to score a TD and flip off the opposing fans?

Jeez, there are plenty of fans who act retarded, it is NOT acceptable to act the same way in retaliation as a player. For #### sake, people, have some class. The only possible reason for defending his actions are because of your fan allegiance, nothing more.
I'm not defending Moss. I was merely stating what Cris Collinsworth said about the incident and what might have provoked Moss.

You honestly couldn't figure that out?
Reignman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Reignman »

Can we get this topic renamed please? Maybe to "The Moss moon, most disgusting act on a football field ever, or epic celebration"? Just gonna throw my 2 cents in while we're on the subject. If you're as offended about this pretend mooning as some of you seem to be, regardless of the context, then you're coming off as looking a bit too uptight. I mean if you're so easily offended or disgusted, then how do you even use the internet without lots of therapy? How could you not like the Moss moon? It was against the Packer fans, at Lambeau, in a playoff WIN, and it made Joe Buck wet himself, which BTW was priceless all by itself. That was like the hat trick of celebrations.

Back on topic, I can think of plenty of memorable wins, but I can't say which is necessarily best. Crushing the 12-3 Saints, and 13-2 49ers in back to back road playoff games in '87 was pretty damn impressive. That epic playoff comeback at New York in '97 was pretty sweet. How bout the greatest comeback in NFL history in '87 when we trailed the Eagles 23-0 in Philly with 8:30 to go and won 28-23? It was a meaningless game, but wow what a comeback. Spanking the Cowboys in the '09 playoffs was pretty fun too, especially listening to Brooking cry about how we ran up the score, and Favre doing pants on the ground in the locker room afterward lol. Oh wait, we better not mention that because some of you were probably offended by that disgusting celebration xD.
"Our playoff loss to the Vikings in '87 was probably the most traumatic experience I had in sports." -- Bill Walsh
King James
All Pro Elite Player

Post by King James »

I have no problem with the Moss mooning. It wasn't disgusting at all. He didn't pull off his pants. The celebration was only like a few seconds long and he kinda did a dance with it at the end. The only people who truly butt hurt over that have to either Packer fans or an overly sensitive human being. That celebration doesn't even compare to the amount of trash talk players spew at each other when their voices aren't wired up or off camera.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

808vikingsfan wrote:Jim putting 'Favre' and 'great' in the same sentence?
I know you're kidding but I feel I need to reiterate my take on Favre again anyway because I get the feeling people think I hate the guy. I had great respect for him as a player. I just thought signing him was the wrong move for the Vikings and consequently, I wasn't nuts about being asked to cheer for a player who so strongly represented the Vikings biggest rival. Aside from that, my real issue wasn't with Favre but with his legion of hero-worshipping followers and the media circus that accompanied him. That stuff really got on nerves.

Favre himself was an exciting player who played hard and delivered some good moments as a Viking.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Farve ...

Yeah i wished he would have done a lot of things differently at the end of his career and
the media John Madden love thing bugs me..

He was so much fun to watch in 2009 and I'm sure it bugged the heck out of the Packers and there fans
which made it even sweeter.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Delaqure
Franchise Player

Post by Delaqure »

1. The 87 playoff win against the 49ers
2. The 73 NFC Championship game vs the Cowboys
3. The playoff win vs the Packers THE "moon" game
4. The 2012 wk 17 win over the Packers
Purpnation
Franchise Player

Post by Purpnation »

Reignman wrote:Can we get this topic renamed please? Maybe to "The Moss moon, most disgusting act on a football field ever, or epic celebration"? Just gonna throw my 2 cents in while we're on the subject. If you're as offended about this pretend mooning as some of you seem to be, regardless of the context, then you're coming off as looking a bit too uptight. I mean if you're so easily offended or disgusted, then how do you even use the internet without lots of therapy? How could you not like the Moss moon? It was against the Packer fans, at Lambeau, in a playoff WIN, and it made Joe Buck wet himself, which BTW was priceless all by itself. That was like the hat trick of celebrations.

Back on topic, I can think of plenty of memorable wins, but I can't say which is necessarily best. Crushing the 12-3 Saints, and 13-2 49ers in back to back road playoff games in '87 was pretty damn impressive. That epic playoff comeback at New York in '97 was pretty sweet. How bout the greatest comeback in NFL history in '87 when we trailed the Eagles 23-0 in Philly with 8:30 to go and won 28-23? It was a meaningless game, but wow what a comeback. Spanking the Cowboys in the '09 playoffs was pretty fun too, especially listening to Brooking cry about how we ran up the score, and Favre doing pants on the ground in the locker room afterward lol. Oh wait, we better not mention that because some of you were probably offended by that disgusting celebration xD.

:roll:

Lol where to begin, first off, doing something in the locker room having some fun with your teammates, and doing something vulgar directed at a certain group of people on National TV are two completely different things, i have a feeling if Aaron Rodgers scored a td against us, and made a similar gesture directed at us Viking fans, you would jump at the opportunity to call him arrogant and criticize him for his actions.

In any event, some people like their favorite team to display the smallest amount of class, at least on the field, I'm sorry that strikes you as so unrealistic, and sensitive. It doesn't help this came from a player who for the length of his career did all he could to display himself as an arrogant little punk, albeit talented.
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

for those who were angry favre came here, just think how angry it made packer fans. i'm from pittsburgh and it would be like seeing lemieux wear a flyers jersey at the end of his career. its unthinkable, but at the same time it was the biggest slap in the face packer fans could ever endure. but, quite honestly favre knew he had some game left in him and wanted to reunite with bevell, so nothing was going to get in the way of that. i had a lot of fun watching him play he was and forever will be a true iron man.
dkoby
All Pro Elite Player

Post by dkoby »

Reignman wrote:Can we get this topic renamed please? Maybe to "The Moss moon, most disgusting act on a football field ever, or epic celebration"? Just gonna throw my 2 cents in while we're on the subject. If you're as offended about this pretend mooning as some of you seem to be, regardless of the context, then you're coming off as looking a bit too uptight. I mean if you're so easily offended or disgusted, then how do you even use the internet without lots of therapy? How could you not like the Moss moon? It was against the Packer fans, at Lambeau, in a playoff WIN, and it made Joe Buck wet himself, which BTW was priceless all by itself. That was like the hat trick of celebrations.
Right on brother.... :rock:

Not an important game that I can remember, but the game against Chicago where we scored (3) 4th quarter TDs to make Ditka loose 5 years of of his life was a memorable game. The after game press conference was priceless.

The miracle at the Met game is one of my most fond memories. Kramer and Rashad were simply outstanding that game.
The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds,the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps.
Elenore Roosevelt. 1945
Purpnation
Franchise Player

Post by Purpnation »

mosscarter wrote:for those who were angry favre came here, just think how angry it made packer fans. i'm from pittsburgh and it would be like seeing lemieux wear a flyers jersey at the end of his career. its unthinkable, but at the same time it was the biggest slap in the face packer fans could ever endure. but, quite honestly favre knew he had some game left in him and wanted to reunite with bevell, so nothing was going to get in the way of that. i had a lot of fun watching him play he was and forever will be a true iron man.
I would tend to agree, I only wish he would have retired for good after 2009, we would be able to always say Favre and his Vikes beat them the only two times they played, how dope would that be?