Vikings' "top plays" ever (voting needed for Kramer TD)

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Vikings' "top plays" ever (voting needed for Kramer TD)

Post by dead_poet »

I don't think negative plays should be even remotely near "top plays", but whatever. Only the Vikings would have 2 out of 3 "top plays" as miserable disasters.
This is the first of three plays nominated as the most memorable play in Vikings history. The others include Tommy Kramer's Hail Mary pass to Ahmad Rashad to beat the Cleveland Browns in the 1980 "Miracle at the Met" and Gary Anderson’s missed field goal in the 1998 NFC Championship Game. Please vote for your choice as the Vikings' most memorable play.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/ ... terception

I encourage everyone to vote for the Tommy Kramer TD, because #### this poll.
Last edited by dead_poet on Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Vikings' top plays: Favre's interception

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:I don't think negative plays should be even remotely near "top plays", but whatever. Only the Vikings would have 2 out of 3 "top plays" as miserable disasters.

I voted for Touchdown Tommy's touchdown pass and I agree with your sentiment, who the #### "nominated" those two negative plays as among the 3 most memorable in Vikings history? Heck, if a negative play is going to be one of the most memorable, Marshall's "wrong way" TD easily tops that particular list. It's one of the most memorable plays in NFL history.

There are so many more memorable plays:

— Randy Moss' catch and lateral to Moe Williams for a TD
— AD running over William Gay in the 2009 game against the Steelers
— Any number of great moments from the four Vikings conference championship wins that actually sent them to the Super Bowl

... and so on.
VikeMike
All Pro Elite Player

Post by VikeMike »

I'd vote for the Kramer-to-Rashad TD against the Browns, but here's a few better than the other two:

Nate Allen's FG block that Bobby Bryant returned 90 yards against the Rams in the 1976 NFC championship game.

The 30-yard TD pass to Jake Reed to win the 1997 playoff game against the Giants -- after recovering the onside kick and winning after being down by 9 in the last 6 minutes.

The two losing plays nominated are an insult, really.
"Meet at the quarterback"
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Mothman wrote: I voted for Touchdown Tommy's touchdown pass and I agree with your sentiment, who the #### "nominated" those two negative plays as among the 3 most memorable in Vikings history? Heck, if a negative play is going to be one of the most memorable, Marshall's "wrong way" TD easily tops that particular list. It's one of the most memorable plays in NFL history.

— Any number of great moments from the four Vikings conference championship wins that actually sent them to the Super Bowl

... and so on.
AD tossing aside about four Cleveland Browns in '09? Overtime Moon-to-Carter in '94? Robert Smith's 56-yard TD without a shoe. Brad Johnson's TD pass to himself. Randy Moss' moon? Favre's game-winner to Greg Lewis doesn't even register? I mean...really? And a missed field goal is really leading this #### thing?
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

VikeMike wrote:I'd vote for the Kramer-to-Rashad TD against the Browns, but here's a few better than the other two:

Nate Allen's FG block that Bobby Bryant returned 90 yards against the Rams in the 1976 NFC championship game.
Exactly! Plus, if I remember correctly, that followed a goal line stand.

Bryant came up with a huge INT later in that game too. Heck, he was always coming up big. He had a long INT return for a TD in the '73 Championship game.
The 30-yard TD pass to Jake Reed to win the 1997 playoff game against the Giants -- after recovering the onside kick and winning after being down by 9 in the last 6 minutes.
Great call... that was an unbelievable comeback.
The two losing plays nominated are an insult, really.
That's exactly what they are.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

The most memorable play for me happened during a game in which I don't think anything in particular was at steak ... but I'll never forget that no-look backwards lateral that Moss gave to Moe Williams for the touch down.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:AD tossing aside about four Cleveland Browns in '09? Overtime Moon-to-Carter in '94? Robert Smith's 56-yard TD without a shoe. Brad Johnson's TD pass to himself. Randy Moss' moon? Favre's game-winner to Greg Lewis doesn't even register? I mean...really? And a missed field goal is really leading this #### thing?
Packer fans love to vote in polls. :(
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Mothman wrote: I voted for Touchdown Tommy's touchdown pass and I agree with your sentiment, who the #### "nominated" those two negative plays as among the 3 most memorable in Vikings history? Heck, if a negative play is going to be one of the most memorable, Marshall's "wrong way" TD easily tops that particular list. It's one of the most memorable plays in NFL history.

... and so on.
Guess I should have read the rest of the thread! Good post, Jim.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote:

I agree. And as a Vikings fan, the nominations of those plays pisses me off.

On another note, the 65 yard Moon to Carter pass to win in overtime against the Bears is too often overlooked. It's a magnificent job by Moon, the OL, and especially Cris Carter.

The Kramer hail mary would get my vote out of the three (cough) nominated (cough) plays presented.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

losperros wrote:On another note, the 65 yard Moon to Carter pass to win in overtime against the Bears is too often overlooked. It's a magnificent job by Moon, the OL, and especially Cris Carter.
Ah, yes! That was a great play. Let's re-live it, shall we?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/minnesota-vik ... winning-TD
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

Mothman wrote: Ah, yes! That was a great play. Let's re-live it, shall we?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/minnesota-vik ... winning-TD
That was one of the games that I (and my late friend Jim) had went to. That was a great game! We were in the corner end-zone where Carter scored the winning TD in OT. I still remember my ears literally ringing from the loud cheers when Butler missed the FG for the Bears that would have won the game for them. Great trip for me - not so much for Jim :lol: :v):
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
indianation65
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by indianation65 »

I rather not see bad Vikings' plays as the bad ones. How about "top terrible plays" if this topic goes that direction. Mine, the one I hate seeing over and over, is the Tony Dorsett 99 yard run. What a beating, and why the lose arm tackle at the end. Don't let him go!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...wisdom
...spirits in the wind and the trees
headless_norseman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by headless_norseman »

dead_poet wrote:I don't think negative plays should be even remotely near "top plays", but whatever. Only the Vikings would have 2 out of 3 "top plays" as miserable disasters.

I already voted for Kramer's Hail Mary. I also thought it stupid to include negative plays in a top play catagory.
A successful coach needs a patient wife, loyal dog, and great quarterback - and not necessarily in that order.

-- Bud Grant
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Next installment up. Kramer TD is still in third place. :evil:

Vikings' top plays: 'Miracle at the Met'

http://espn.go.com/blog/minnesota-vikin ... at-the-met
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:Next installment up. Kramer TD is still in third place. :evil:

Vikings' top plays: 'Miracle at the Met'

http://espn.go.com/blog/minnesota-vikin ... at-the-met

This whole things is really ####### pissing me off!