Worst loss in Viking History

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Worst loss in Viking History

Post by PurpleMustReign »

No, I am not trying to coordinate a mass suicide... we have a lot of younger and older (*cough* Jim *cough*) members here and I am just wondering what everyone thinks is the worst loss for the Vikings they have seen.

For me, it is the 1998 loss to Atlanta... I still have nightmares about that game because I was so devastated. Another one is the 2003 loss to Arizona, although that was a regular season game, so not quite as bad. 2009 was bad too, especially considering how overwhelmingly we outplayed New Orleans, and how terrible Indianapolis looked in the Super Bowl.

What are your worst losses in Viking history?
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: Worst loss in Viking History

Post by dead_poet »

You hit the nail on the head for me. Atlanta and New Orleans. Each about as painful as a simultaneous kick to the chest and nuts. I was (thankfully?) not yet alive to experience the pain of the pre-'80s. But those two stung. They still do.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Dirtyswabby
Starter

Post by Dirtyswabby »

LOL in 1998 I had talked so much smack in High school about the vikings going to the Superbowl. Damn that Monday sucked so bad.
Representing the Vikings In Raleigh, NC
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Most Painful Loss
Super Bowl IV - Jan 11, 1970
Minnesota Vikings 7
Kansas City Chiefs 23

Most Embarrassing Loss
NFC Championship - Jan 14, 2001
Minnesota Vikings 0
New York Giants 41
Last edited by Eli on Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
King James
All Pro Elite Player

Post by King James »

I would say the New Orleans game because I honestly believe we got robbed out of that game in overtime. Plus I cried like a #### after that game. That's the first time I ever cried over a football game. It took me a good week to get over that game. I didn't go to school or work that monday because I knew people would make fun of the fact that we lost. There are VERY few Vikings fans were I live, well there were people who were fans because of Tarvaris Jackson but still. Everyone knew I was a die-hard fan. I'll never forgive the Saints or the refs for that game. The 1998 game was bad too but I was really young so it didn't hit me that much.
Purpnation
Franchise Player

Post by Purpnation »

09 Championship game. I lived in Wisconsin at the time and watched the game with a few of my buddies (all Packers fans, and one Bears fan) and it was UNBEARABLE. Before our last drive of regulation my freind yelled "Favre choke coming up!". :wallbang: Couldn't stand that state after that game, and of course it got even worse the next year.

Still haven't forgiven Favre, he is honestly the biggest choker to ever make it to the Hall of Fame no question. Ugh, just run the ball you moron! That was OUR year, that was OUR time, and it was taken away from us.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

For me the 1998 loss to Atlanta was the absolute worst in team history, or at least regarding the games that I've actually seen. I guess it's because I still believe that better coaching by Denny could have pulled that game out for the Vikes. Even Billick argued during the game with Green about how conservative they were going with the offense, which was loaded with big playmakers.

The loss against the Saints by the 2009 team didn't bother me all that much and it definitely didn't surprise me. That's mostly because I felt the handwriting was on the wall when the team displayed its true nature during the December losses.
Dirtyswabby
Starter

Post by Dirtyswabby »

the 2009 game didn't really surprise me either. I was living in Japan at the time, and I expected us to choke TBH. I know im a horrible vikings fan but I think I just expected it because I didn't want to be heartbroken like 98.
Representing the Vikings In Raleigh, NC
VikeMike
All Pro Elite Player

Post by VikeMike »

Being an old fan, there's plenty to list.

1. 1975 Hail Mary Game. Without Drew Pearson pushing off and a Cowboys G literally tackling a Viking rusher on that famous play, the most shocking way to lose in history is called back, Minnesota goes to the NFC championship game and probably advances to the Super Bowl for a third consecutive year. I was 12, and I was crushed.

2. 1998 vs. Falcons. The stars were aligned that year. Even the Broncos and Jets were busy watching the game on the jumbo tron in Mile High.

3. 2009 vs. Saints. Twelve men in the huddle. Sweet Jesus, that still haunts me. If not for that huge mistake, none of you would be pissing and moaning about Favre's interception -- without Favre that year, we don't get to the NFC championship game.

4. Steelers 16, Vikings 6. This was before everyone realized how great Pittsburgh would become. Yes, the Vikings ran for 17 yards for the game. But everyone seems to forget that the Vikings were down 9-6 in the fourth quarter, Tarkenton had the Vikings moving down the field when Tark hit Gilliam inside the 10 yard line. Glen Edwards hits Gilliam, the ball pops straight up out of Gilliam's hands and Mike Wagner picks it off.

5. 41-0. Had to add this to list after posting. I was in Giants Stadium for that debacle. Horrendous. But, I realize that team wasn't really that good (although, neither were the Giants). Another example of Denny Green being out-coached in the playoffs.
Last edited by VikeMike on Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Meet at the quarterback"
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

41- doughnut.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk
Fran the Man
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Fran the Man »

Even tho I'm old enough to have seen them all and that first one against KC hurt like hell, I have to say that the '09 game against the Saints (Those dirty rotten bastadr cheating Saints) probably hurt the worst.
With just a few minutes to go in that game, I stepped out on my deck and SCREAMED across my back yard at my Packer-Neighbor; "VIKINGS ARE GOING TO THE SUPER BOWL!!"
Seconds later I was sitting in my recliner with my head between my knees almost sobbing.
Like someone else said, the way the Colts played in that SB, we probably would have had our first SB title.

The Hail Mary Game also come to mind. . .
Don't pick a fight with an old Viking. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

worst 1998 loss to Falcons
2. 1987 loss to Redskins
3. 2009 loss to saints
PurplePeopleEater
Transition Player

Post by PurplePeopleEater »

09 to the Saints and 98 to the Falcons. I still have nightmares about both.
And the former Bear will go 99 yards
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

For me the 98 falcons was the worst ... we lost because the team was not paying attention and lost focus
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
maembe
Franchise Player

Post by maembe »

1) '98 because of how much better we were than every other team. The Falcon's weren't even in the same league.
2) '09. The teams were fairly evenly matched on paper, but we completely dominated. AD (and everyone else) decided they couldn't hold on to the ball and kept them in it. But we still had a good chance until the referees stepped in and handed it to them in overtime.
3) '03 Cardinals. What a stupid way to end a season. I know we weren't a superbowl team, but to miss the playoffs after going 6-0, awful. And worse yet, our collapse vaulted the Packers into the playoffs.