Don't bet your last dollar that Cassel is the anointed one

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

jackal
Strong Safety

Re: Don't bet your last dollar that Cassel is the anointed o

Post by jackal »

laughing at the Norv turner comments about Ponder, he has been eliminating some mistakes, as praise
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

Purple bruise wrote:Interesting article comparing Ponder and Cassel: http://www.dailynorseman.com/2014/7/5/5 ... g-the-2013

Thanks for the link. Interesting article. I did note, however:
Daily Norseman wrote: [Speaking about Ponder] Positives
• Graded well on 3rd-and-Long at +2.5. (Emphasis mine)
and
Daily Norseman wrote: [Speaking about Ponder] Negatives
• Struggled on first down (-5.8 ) and 3rd-and-10+ (-2.8 ). (Emphasis mine)
Huh??!!!! 3rd and ten is not 3rd and long? (What constitutes: "3rd and long")?
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

I'm not changing my avatar pic until Ponder is released. That will be a great day. :rock: :rock: :rock:
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

soflavike wrote:I'm not changing my avatar pic until Ponder is released. That will be a great day. :rock: :rock: :rock:
Good for you :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

soflavike wrote:I'm not changing my avatar pic until Ponder is released. That will be a great day. :rock: :rock: :rock:
How does that add anything relevant to the conversation?
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Purple bruise wrote:Interesting article comparing Ponder and Cassel: http://www.dailynorseman.com/2014/7/5/5 ... g-the-2013
One telling stat is how few screen plays we ran. Most of us screamed for more (or, ANY, really) amd this proves what most of us were thinking. It was a vanilla offense.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleMustReign wrote: One telling stat is how few screen plays we ran. Most of us screamed for more (or, ANY, really) amd this proves what most of us were thinking. It was a vanilla offense.
:confused: I don't see how throwing relatively few RB screen passes (they threw quite a few screens to the TEs and WRs) translates to "vanilla offense". The RB screen is one of the more "vanilla" pass plays in football.

It certainly wasn't the most complex, interesting offense out there. I'm just saying, I'm unclear on how throwing very few screens to the RBs serves as evidence that it was vanilla.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Just Me wrote:Huh??!!!! 3rd and ten is not 3rd and long? (What constitutes: "3rd and long")?
LOL! Good question. I'm guessing they categorize "third and long" as something like "third and 6-9 yards to go" and they're making a distinction between those situations and 3rd and 10+ situations.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

808vikingsfan wrote:The Vikings are about average when it comes to total screen yards. The shocking part (or not so shocking) is that the Vikings have a total of 6 yds from RB screens (Ponder 9, Cassel -3). 6 yards in an entire season? Maybe that's why they drafted McKinnon?
They may plan to use him that way but i doubt that's why they drafted him. Peterson and Gerhart were both capable of running an effective screen. It just wasn't a play Musgrave turned to much last year.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

From the same article:
Here’s where Cassel outperformed Ponder by a wide margin: receiver YAC. Ponder’s third down passes resulted in an average of 4.7 YAC, which is not good. Cassel’s third down passes resulted in an average 8.6 YAC, which is very good. How does this happen? Identifying advantageous matchups. Hitting more passes down the field. Generally better ball placement. In other words, better command of the little nuances of playing the position. Of course, it didn’t hurt to have YAC monster Cordarrelle Patterson adding to his big numbers.
The fact that he actually looked for and found Greg jennings didn't hurt either. In fact, I think the majority of the difference in Cassel's YAC yardage probably comes down to those two players.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

808vikingsfan wrote:The Vikings are about average when it comes to total screen yards. The shocking part (or not so shocking) is that the Vikings have a total of 6 yds from RB screens (Ponder 9, Cassel -3). 6 yards in an entire season? Maybe that's why they drafted McKinnon?
I highly doubt it.

The Vikings have looked like the Keystone Cops while running RB screens the past couple of years. Lineman with no clue what to do, running backs out of position, and balls delivered poorly. Ugly as they were, those stats aren't all that surprising.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Mothman wrote: :confused: I don't see how throwing relatively few RB screen passes (they threw quite a few screens to the TEs and WRs) translates to "vanilla offense". The RB screen is one of the more "vanilla" pass plays in football.

It certainly wasn't the most complex, interesting offense out there. I'm just saying, I'm unclear on how throwing very few screens to the RBs serves as evidence that it was vanilla.
Come on Jim, I never said that lack of screens was the only reason the offense was vanilla. that was just one of the reasons. I was typing on my phone and didn't want to type a lot amd figured everyone would know what I meant.
headless_norseman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by headless_norseman »

jackal wrote:laughing at the Norv turner comments about Ponder, he has been eliminating some mistakes, as praise

He's got to talk him up for future trade bait. :lol:
A successful coach needs a patient wife, loyal dog, and great quarterback - and not necessarily in that order.

-- Bud Grant
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Come on Jim, I never said that lack of screens was the only reason the offense was vanilla. that was just one of the reasons. I was typing on my phone and didn't want to type a lot amd figured everyone would know what I meant.
I understand but your conclusion just didn't seem to logically follow your premise so I commented. In a nutshell, what you posted was that running very few RB screen plays proved "it was a vanilla offense". I get why you think the offense was vanilla. I just disagreed with the idea that running very few RB screens proved the point one way or another.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.