2014 OTA notes/discussion

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Cliff
Site Admin

Re: 2014 OTA notes/discussion

Post by Cliff »

King James wrote: To some degree yes but all the other WRs had no problem scoring. Cordarelle Patterson managed to get four TDs in one year despite having limited playing time in the earlier portion of last season. Jennings managed to get 4 TDs when only Cassel was in. I think Jarius Wright has caught big passes from Ponder and Cassel. What's Simpson's excuse?
I would say that Simpson at least drew what feels like 100 pass interference penalties. It almost feels like those should show up in his stats.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

I will eagerly take Simpson and love the threat that his game brings to the opponents secondary.

http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/vide ... 3f532ac7e2
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Cliff wrote:It'd be really nice if McKinnon could take the KR returning off of Patterson and the team not lose out on having a dynamic returner.

You brought this up, and I have heard it a lot, but I am very curious. Is there a study or a stat that tells how many times a KR has been injured during a kick return? I don't remember it happening. The blckers get hurt far more often. Where is this fear or losing a returner coming from? I understand where it COULD happen, but when was the last time a returner got seriously injured? How many times has it happened that everyone is so fearful of it?

edit: I mean, there is risk on every play, really, even a simple hand off. What is the ratio of kick returners getting hurt vs. offensive linemen or something?
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

PurpleMustReign wrote: You brought this up, and I have heard it a lot, but I am very curious. Is there a study or a stat that tells how many times a KR has been injured during a kick return?
Read his quote again. He's not saying that he's afraid Patterson will be hurt, he's hoping that if McKinnon assumes the kick return duties, that the Vikings won't have lost a great weapon.

Big shoes to fill.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Simpson has been one of our best WRs the past few years, plays hard, and I like his attitude on the field. He has to get off the booze and weed.

Some people think Patterson is going to be our best WR, and I wonder what they base that on. He didn't play much in college. Lotsa raw talent (like half our roster) but he isn't our best WR. We better not lose Simpson, because the vikes haven't felt the need to get a WR threat this year. Its Jennings and Simpson. Wright has a couple big plays in a few years. I hope we have a good WR coach cause Patterson can be a top 5 WR in the NFL if taught correctly. Of al our 'freakishly athletic' guys, I hope hes the first to shine (as WR).
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Eli wrote: Read his quote again. He's not saying that he's afraid Patterson will be hurt, he's hoping that if McKinnon assumes the kick return duties, that the Vikings won't have lost a great weapon.

Big shoes to fill.
Oh, well my question still stands :)
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Oh, well my question still stands :)
I have no stats although going off my (aging) memory, there hasn't been many critical players lost due to special teams injury. The only one I can remember is Chad Greenway.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

S197 wrote: I have no stats although going off my (aging) memory, there hasn't been many critical players lost due to special teams injury. The only one I can remember is Chad Greenway.
I was more thinking along the lines of keeping Patterson as fresh as possible while still maintaining a good weapon at KR. Hopefully Patterson's role will be expanded by quite a bit this season. I just don't like the thought of what might be our most valuable receiving weapon taking the extra snaps but especially if we can put someone back there who can be a play-maker but maybe isn't quite as valuable otherwise.

To look into your question though, I did a search on special teams injuries and came up with this;

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sp ... -injuries/
Who is hurt the most?

Special teams players are injured most often, at the rate of once per 50 plays. Compare that with quarterbacks, whose injuries are more high-profile but less common: They are hurt just once every 236 plays.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Cliff wrote:To look into your question though, I did a search on special teams injuries and came up with this;

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sp ... -injuries/
It would be interesting to learn whether or not returners are actually injured at a higher than average rate and also to compare that rate to the RB, WR and CB positions instead of QB, since returners are usually drawn from those 3 positions. I'd also be interested in finding out if punt returners suffer more injuries than KO returners or vice versa (or if the rate is basically the same).
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Mothman wrote: It would be interesting to learn whether or not returners are actually injured at a higher than average rate and also to compare that rate to the RB, WR and CB positions instead of QB, since returners are usually drawn from those 3 positions. I'd also be interested in finding out if punt returners suffer more injuries than KO returners or vice versa (or if the rate is basically the same).
I'm not digging anything up on that specifically, unfortunately. They've lumped all special teams players together in the link that I sent and I can't find a single other page that has the stats we're looking for. If I find anything later I'll post it.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Cliff wrote: I'm not digging anything up on that specifically, unfortunately. They've lumped all special teams players together in the link that I sent and I can't find a single other page that has the stats we're looking for. If I find anything later I'll post it.
Thanks. I've been looking for more specific stats on this and I've come up empty too. :(
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Cliff wrote: I was more thinking along the lines of keeping Patterson as fresh as possible while still maintaining a good weapon at KR. Hopefully Patterson's role will be expanded by quite a bit this season. I just don't like the thought of what might be our most valuable receiving weapon taking the extra snaps but especially if we can put someone back there who can be a play-maker but maybe isn't quite as valuable otherwise.
I think if Patterson were a decent returner (like Sherels is a decent PR) then I would be more on board but Patterson is one of the best KR's in the league. When you have the ability to impact the game that much, either through a quick score or a big improvement in field position, I think the rewards outweigh the risks.

McKinnon would have to be more than good for me to pull Patterson if I was the coach. He'd have to exhibit the same elite skills that Patterson has shown. It would be nice if he could fill that role but really big shoes to fill.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

S197 wrote: I think if Patterson were a decent returner (like Sherels is a decent PR) then I would be more on board but Patterson is one of the best KR's in the league. When you have the ability to impact the game that much, either through a quick score or a big improvement in field position, I think the rewards outweigh the risks.

McKinnon would have to be more than good for me to pull Patterson if I was the coach. He'd have to exhibit the same elite skills that Patterson has shown. It would be nice if he could fill that role but really big shoes to fill.
I agree with you, the advantage that we have with him as KR isn't something to be given up lightly. I think McKinnon might have the best chance to fill those shoes of anyone else on the roster though.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »