2014 OTA notes/discussion

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

2014 OTA notes/discussion

Post by dead_poet »

‏@mattvenselMike Zimmer said that Matt Kalil had a "procedure" done a few weeks ago that has limited him to individual drills. #Vikings
Absent from today's OTA: Bridgewater, Barr, Yankey and Crichton. Teddy was at the rookie premier event and the others are still in school. Great turnout otherwise for coach Mike Zimmer as the new coach tries to turn things around quickly in 2014
Articles/videos

Storylines to watch: http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/1 ... 16f78d0230
5 observations from OTA #1: http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/5 ... 7e1077a307
OTA Highlights from 5/28: http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/vide ... 72ff234aff
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Eli
Hall of Famer

Re: 2014 OTA notes/discussion

Post by Eli »

Isn't that Kalil's second surgery this offseason?

That's not good news. :(
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Eli wrote:Isn't that Kalil's second surgery this offseason?

That's not good news. :(
Not sure. Could be the same one or a cleanup of the first. Hard to tell. Hopefully minor in nature and he'll be 100% by camp.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Andrew Sendejo had a back procedure done that has sidelined him. Jamarca Sanford and Josh Robinson sat out with minor injuries. #Vikings
Zimmer said that Linval Joseph will be full go soon. He had a procedure done after the 2013 season. Fred Evans filled in at NT while Linval Joseph still sits out. Zimmer said he had an ailment that dates back before Vikings signed him
Cassel took all the first-team reps today. Ponder looked like Ponder. As you were.
Kevin Murphy and Antonio Richardson filled in at LT in Kalil's absence. #Vikings
Tough to glean a ton from #Vikings OTA with 4 of top 5 picks absent. Bridgewater at rookie premiere. Barr, Crichton, Yankey on qtrs system. One thing I can say:volume level is a lot higher than in past years. Heard Norv Turner chew more #### today than Bill Musgrave did in 3 years
Greenway, Brinkley and Cole were in for 1st team LBs again. Greenway got some reps in MLB. #Vikings
Captain Munnerlyn is teams top nickelback, but MN worked Kendall James (6th rd pick) at NB quite a bit. Got shaken up and left early.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@Andrew_Krammer: Had a good chat w/ Jerome Felton after. Says he's playing for his future this yr, cut salary more motivation to earn it back + then some.
Combo of all. Rhodes/Cox mainly RT @Filbert33 who were the two on the outside? Rhodes and Cox? Robinson? Prater?"
2nd team LBs in Thurs: Hodges, Mauti and DeCicco (Barr in school, will miss most OTAs) . #Vikings
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Zimmer said that Linval Joseph will be full go soon. He had a procedure done after the 2013 season. Fred Evans filled in at NT while Linval Joseph still sits out. Zimmer said he had an ailment that dates back before Vikings signed him
Interesting. I sure hope that wasn't a significant reason in why the Giants appeared to show little interest in re-signing him.
Tough to glean a ton from #Vikings OTA with 4 of top 5 picks absent.
He means it's tough to glean anything juicy about the rookies and - ho-hum - it's almost as boring as watching veterans practice.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Eli wrote: Interesting. I sure hope that wasn't a significant reason in why the Giants appeared to show little interest in re-signing him.
Only thing I've been able to dig up on Joseph is postseason surgery to remove a cyst from his left ankle after the 2012 season and he was listed as out in week 5 last season (ankle, knee). He's only missed that one game the last three years. Doesn't seem serious. Zimmer said he's "a full go" soon. I think price had more to do with him coming here.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

@Andrew_Krammer: Had a good chat w/ Jerome Felton after. Says he's playing for his future this yr, cut salary more motivation to earn it back + then some.
It will be interesting to see how much of a role Felton has in Turner's offense. Here's quote from Norv from when he was with the Browns. Doesn't exactly sound like he's very committed to the idea. I would think that spreading the field for Peterson may have more value than having a lead blocker.
Norv Turner

(On if he wants to have a fullback like he has had in the past with Daryl Johnston and Lorenzo Neal)- “You want to be a physical football team. We’ve had good fullbacks where we’ve been and we’ve done things from more of a two tight end-two receiver set. So I think a lot of what’s happening in football now is the field is being spread a lot more. The fullback still has got a role, but it’s not as big a role in this league. You like to have that physical presence. Sometimes you get that out of a tight end, sometimes you get that out of a pure fullback.”
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Theme from #Vikings OC Norv Turner on Teddy Bridgewater: Loves his decision making. "Sometimes you call a play - I don't even know if he knows the play - and he drops back, makes a quick read and a good decision." - Norv
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Heard Norv Turner chew more #### today than Bill Musgrave did in 3 years
...love it! :D
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Knee scope for Kalil, per Tom Pelissero
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

dead_poet wrote:Knee scope for Kalil, per Tom Pelissero
The other surgery was reported to have been on his shoulder, so that's not good at all.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Eli wrote: The other surgery was reported to have been on his shoulder, so that's not good at all.
Depends on the severity. I won't be worried until I see him play. I still expect a bounce-back year.
Superfreak84
Veteran

Post by Superfreak84 »

Funkytown wrote: ...love it! :D
Hearing that gave me goosebumps.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Notes from OTA #2: http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/OTA_ ... reps052914

A little concerned about our tackle depth. If Kalil misses any time...let's just say I'm glad I'm not behind center. Is Kevin Murphy and UDFA Antonio Richardson the only other guys we have? Good lord.

Interesting to note that Mauti is still running with the twos at MLB (Cole, Brinkley & Greenway with the ones).