2014 OTA notes/discussion

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

jackal
Strong Safety

Re: 2014 OTA notes/discussion

Post by jackal »

I think some of the motivation for our secondary is
going to be holding onto to their jobs and staying in
the NFL and that is okay with me. do your job !! No
Excuses
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Matt Cassel is expected to enter training camp as the Vikings' starter.

Rookie Teddy Bridgewater has been sprinkled in with the ones during OTAs, but Cassel is getting more reps. New Vikings OC Norv Turner revealed he wanted to sign Cassel last year in Cleveland. "I think that would have been at the time a good move for us," Turner said. "I gave my evaluation (to the Browns). I thought he would have fit. ... Sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't."
--ESPN.com

--
Hmm. Interesting. A little love for The MC.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

He was going to be the starter the day he was resigned. :confused:
He'll not be the starter the day we're eliminated from playoffs. :confused:
BUT PONDER IS IN THE RUNNING! FIRST TEAM REPS! :rofl:
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Interesting and informative interview with Paul Allen and Spielman. http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/vide ... b044b5ce67
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Funkytown wrote:Matt Cassel is expected to enter training camp as the Vikings' starter.

Rookie Teddy Bridgewater has been sprinkled in with the ones during OTAs, but Cassel is getting more reps. New Vikings OC Norv Turner revealed he wanted to sign Cassel last year in Cleveland. "I think that would have been at the time a good move for us," Turner said. "I gave my evaluation (to the Browns). I thought he would have fit. ... Sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't."
--ESPN.com

--
Hmm. Interesting. A little love for The MC.

There's an article about Turner's previous interest in Cassel here:

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_259 ... ned-forces
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

Demi wrote:He was going to be the starter the day he was resigned. :confused:
As a practical matter (in the final analysis) I think you are correct. I do not think that it is/was a forgone conclusion though. I believe that Zimmer's intent is to have a competition for the starting spot. I think Cassel was signed because he is the most likely candidate to win that job. If Christian Ponder can perform better than Cassel (something I don't see happening), Ponder would be named the starter. I won't be holding my breath, though.
Demi wrote:He'll not be the starter the day we're eliminated from playoffs. :confused:
I think he'll not be the starter when Bridgewater can perform demonstrably better than Cassel. (Or, in theory, if Ponder can somehow elevate his game so it's demonstrably better than Cassel. Again, I'm not holding my breath, but I believe the new coaching staff really wants to give everyone a 'fair shot.' I don't believe that stance is perfunctory.)
Demi wrote:BUT PONDER IS IN THE RUNNING! FIRST TEAM REPS! :rofl:
Of course he's in the running. In the same way that a race between a Yugo, Chevrolet, and a Ferrari starts. They all start on the starting line. The separation will be (or should be) obvious after that. What do we care if the Yugo is left in the dust, as long as the Ferrari is declared the winner at the end of the race?

Why would you NOT have a competition for Cassel? (I think he wins the starting job). Wasn't that one of the critiques of Frazier? (He allegedly kept 'handing' Ponder the starting job). If for no other reason than to drive Cassel to perform better, I see that as a good thing.
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Just Me wrote: As a practical matter (in the final analysis) I think you are correct. I do not think that it is/was a forgone conclusion though. I believe that Zimmer's intent is to have a competition for the starting spot. I think Cassel was signed because he is the most likely candidate to win that job. If Christian Ponder can perform better than Cassel (something I don't see happening), Ponder would be named the starter. I won't be holding my breath, though.
I think he'll not be the starter when Bridgewater can perform demonstrably better than Cassel. (Or, in theory, if Ponder can somehow elevate his game so it's demonstrably better than Cassel. Again, I'm not holding my breath, but I believe the new coaching staff really wants to give everyone a 'fair shot.' I don't believe that stance is perfunctory.)
Of course he's in the running. In the same way that a race between a Yugo, Chevrolet, and a Ferrari starts. They all start on the starting line. The separation will be (or should be) obvious after that. What do we care if the Yugo is left in the dust, as long as the Ferrari is declared the winner at the end of the race?

Why would you NOT have a competition for Cassel? (I think he wins the starting job). Wasn't that one of the critiques of Frazier? (He allegedly kept 'handing' Ponder the starting job). If for no other reason than to drive Cassel to perform better, I see that as a good thing.
It is a very good thing to have competition at all the positions sans AD's. I love some of the constant negativity, it provides good competition on the VMB also. When they are eliminated from the play-offs :roll: they will be in the play-offs :rock:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Purple bruise wrote:It is a very good thing to have competition at all the positions sans AD's.
You think that the running back position is unique and that there should be no competition between players on a team?

Interesting.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Eli wrote: You think that the running back position is unique and that there should be no competition between players on a team?

Interesting.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Mothman wrote: Image

LEAVE THE BAIT ALONE!! DON'T TAKE IT, ITS A TRAP!!

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleMustReign wrote:LEAVE THE BAIT ALONE!! DON'T TAKE IT, ITS A TRAP!!
... and of course, that makes me think of...

losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote: ... and of course, that makes me think of...

Nice photo, Jim. So, you shaved your head?
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

losperros wrote:Nice photo, Jim. So, you shaved your head?
Yes, thanks, and I've had my eyes "done" as well. I'm looking good, eh?
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Gerald Hodges - LB - Vikings
Second-year LB Gerald Hodges received some work with the first-team defense at Vikings OTAs.

Hodges is competing for snaps in a crowded Vikings linebacking corps. Hodges' best fit is as the weak-side outside 'backer, but he will have to fight veteran LB Chad Greenway for that position. He could also challenge rookie LB Anthony Barr for the SLB spot. All three linebacker positions in Minnesota will be contested throughout training camp.
Source: ESPN 1500 Twin Cities

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/OTA_ ... ense060514
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

dead_poet wrote:Gerald Hodges - LB - Vikings
Second-year LB Gerald Hodges received some work with the first-team defense at Vikings OTAs.

Hodges is competing for snaps in a crowded Vikings linebacking corps. Hodges' best fit is as the weak-side outside 'backer, but he will have to fight veteran LB Chad Greenway for that position. He could also challenge rookie LB Anthony Barr for the SLB spot. All three linebacker positions in Minnesota will be contested throughout training camp.
Source: ESPN 1500 Twin Cities

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/OTA_ ... ense060514
Probably the only linebacker on the roster with any real coverage ability. Good to see him getting a look, and this early! Thank goodness for this new coaching staff.