Chris Kluwe TED Talk on Augmented Reality

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Reignman
All Pro Elite Player

Chris Kluwe TED Talk on Augmented Reality

Post by Reignman »

Oh no, what controversy is he cooking up now xD? Nah, I think everyone will enjoy this one, unless you have something against technology. Chris Kluwe gives a TED Talk on augmented reality. Fascinating stuff. Imagine watching an entire game from the QB's POV.

And I apologize if it's posted in the wrong section, I wasn't sure where it belonged. There is some Vikings talk in the video xD.
"Our playoff loss to the Vikings in '87 was probably the most traumatic experience I had in sports." -- Bill Walsh
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Chris Kluwe TED Talk on Augmented Reality

Post by Funkytown »

You watch these videos for fun?! Nah, intelligence is sexy. Nerdy is sexy. Technology is sexy. Heck, Kluwe talking about technology is sexy. :P

Thanks for posting. Indeed, fascinating. I'm not sure I'm ready for all that, I guess I'm a little old school with my sports, but as people become more obsessed with sports and technology, and sports technology, these crazy things are going to become reality. Augmented reality.

We shall see.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Cool talk.

Thanks for the link.
King James
All Pro Elite Player

Post by King James »

Augmented reality I heard of this before a couple of years ago but I didn't think the discussions will get this far. I remember seeing another video about how they can use technology to show fans the velocity the ball is being thrown, the speed in which a player is running, the impact of hard tackle, and etc. Me personally, I'm neutral on it. Yes it's cool but I could really care less what it looks like inside the helmet of a NFL football player. And I think having a visor that shows you when players are open or when someone is blitzing takes the fun out of the game. Sure it may make the game faster but those generations players will never fully truly know how to play the game if they depend on technology to show them their plays or to hit assignments.

I like football how it is now. There's nothing wrong with the way we see it. If people want to see what it looks running a play inside of football helmet, I encourage more people to play football then.

But I like Augmented Reality, just not for sports. It seems like a cheap way to learn the game.
Milkman14
Waterboy

Post by Milkman14 »

Yea they should also take away headsets for the coaches and QBs, and the wrist playbooks, and film of the game! You should have to just use your memory to replay the game in your head! While we're at it teams shouldnt be allowed to wear different colored uniforms and helmets! QBs shouldnt have some article of clothing telling them which player is on their team and which isn't! They should just know!!!! Back in the good ol days...murica! :D :mrgreen:

Ha sorry this just made me think of those Nike golf commercials.
Reignman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Reignman »

Funkytown wrote:You watch these videos for fun?!
Where did I say that? Ha, ok I'll say it now, yes I watch these kind of video's for fun xD. You caught me. But no I was really looking for an answer to the air speed velocity of an unladen swallow, and was hoping Kluwe could help me out, but unfortunately he only had time to cover the bit about augmented reality.
losperros wrote:Cool talk.

Thanks for the link.
Cool indeed, and you're welcome.
King James wrote:Augmented reality I heard of this before a couple of years ago but I didn't think the discussions will get this far. I remember seeing another video about how they can use technology to show fans the velocity the ball is being thrown, the speed in which a player is running, the impact of hard tackle, and etc.
You might be thinking of a show called Sports Science on ESPN. Another good show. They even had Ponder on there once.

They also did a segment on Adrian Peterson.

King James wrote:I like football how it is now. There's nothing wrong with the way we see it. If people want to see what it looks running a play inside of football helmet, I encourage more people to play football then.
I don't mind the way we view it now either, but probably because we're used to it. And look how much better the view got when widescreen came out. Now you can see the secondary before the snap. I actually wish they'd show more footage from the wire came which hovers just behind the QB. That gives a pretty good view down field. But I also love the QB POV they had in the video between 2:42 and 2:56. After the snap it was a little shaky (maybe the stability will improve as the technology develops?), but it was an interesting perspective pre-snap with the QB reading the defense.

Milkman14 wrote:Yea they should also take away headsets for the coaches and QBs, and the wrist playbooks, and film of the game! You should have to just use your memory to replay the game in your head! While we're at it teams shouldnt be allowed to wear different colored uniforms and helmets! QBs shouldnt have some article of clothing telling them which player is on their team and which isn't! They should just know!!!! Back in the good ol days...murica! :D :mrgreen:

Ha sorry this just made me think of those Nike golf commercials.
Ha, yeah some of that would be just a bit too far. But I do wonder why teams are allowed to look at game film of their opponents. I think the game would be more interesting if teams weren't allowed to do that xD.
"Our playoff loss to the Vikings in '87 was probably the most traumatic experience I had in sports." -- Bill Walsh
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

I only have one question regarding his talk: In his opening question, does he mean an African or a European swallow?
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Just Me wrote:I only have one question regarding his talk: In his opening question, does he mean an African or a European swallow?

:lol:

Oh, you... ;)
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

All I know is in Sim City 2000 the fastest speed you could set the game to was "African Swallow" so that'd be my guess!
GoldenBear91
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by GoldenBear91 »

Just Me wrote:I only have one question regarding his talk: In his opening question, does he mean an African or a European swallow?
:rofl: nicely played
NextQuestion
Career Elite Player

Post by NextQuestion »

This is pretty cool. LOL with the roller coaster kid
Pull yr 84 jerseys out.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

jackal