Ten Summertime Trade Candidates

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Which of the following players would you most like to see the Vikings acquire via trade?

Poll ended at Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:18 am

Ryan Mallet QB New England
2%
Brandon Flowers CB Chiefs
67%
Michael Roos OT Titans
2%
Brandon Graham DE/LB Eagles
No votes
Dion Jordan DE/LB Dolphins
7%
Derrick Morgan DE Titans
No votes
LaMichael James RB 49ers
10%
Rob Housler TE Cardinals
No votes
Denarius Moore WR Raiders
12%

Total votes: 42

jackal
Strong Safety

Re: Ten Summertime Trade Candidates

Post by jackal »

flowers would be the guy I think could be a good
fit for our defense at the right price. I think our
goal is to get younger; so I don't think this happens.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I'll say Moore under the "buy low" philosophy.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Moore wouldn't be bad but I don't see it as
a need for us with the group we have now
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

James, in a deal involving AD. :twisted:

Otherwise, none of the above.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Brandon Flowers. No doubt. He's one of the best cover corners in the game.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Demi wrote:James, in a deal involving AD. :twisted:

LaMichael James is a bum. He won't amount to anything more than an average kick returner in the NFL.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

PacificNorseWest wrote: LaMichael James is a bum. He won't amount to anything more than an average kick returner in the NFL.
He's rushed for more yards in a super bowl than AD ever will as a Viking. :confused:
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Demi wrote: He's rushed for more yards in a super bowl than AD ever will as a Viking. :confused:
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Demi wrote:James, in a deal involving AD. :twisted:

I hope you aernt kidding, because a trade like this would be nice. If not James someone similar. Oh, and a high 1st rounder. I doubt McKinnon does crap. And he was a 3rd rounder....I just don't understand that pick. A RB who has never run between the tackles...
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

Demi wrote: He's rushed for more yards in a super bowl than AD ever will as a Viking. :confused:
I hope you're just trolling.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

frosted21 wrote:I hope you're just trolling.
Of course he's just trolling. He throws out more bait than a professional fisherman.

Regarding the trade candidates, I'd say Flowers or Moore. The latter makes sense in "buy low" way, as S197 mentioned above (so that's who I checked in the poll) and Flowers would be an immediate upgrade at a position where the Vikes could still use one. Put him, Rhodes and Munnerlyn on the field with Smith and a safety-to-be-named and the Vikings might have a secondary that really create some problems for opponents.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

The Vikings need another 5'9" cornerback like they need Chris Kluwe to make a comeback.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Mothman wrote: and Flowers would be an immediate upgrade at a position where the Vikes could still use one. Put him, Rhodes and Munnerlyn on the field with Smith and a safety-to-be-named and the Vikings might have a secondary that really create some problems for opponents.
I like the idea on the surface, but his contract and play make it a bit more complex for me. His performance last year in Sutton's press scheme was concerning (to put it mildly). He's just not very physical and I assume that's more of what the Vikings will be playing this year as well. He allowed a 66.7 percent completion rate, 846 yards, and four touchdowns in his coverage, while QBs had a 103.9 rating throwing at him (per those backwater gremlins at PFF). His height (5'9) isn't doing him any favors either. He'd still be an upgrade, but unless he restructures, I wouldn't want to absorb that contract. His performance last season doesn't warrant the price IMO. Some benefit of the doubt could be given as, if memory serves, he played through groin and knee injuries and he was one of the league's better corners in 2012. If you're Spielman, I suppose you consult Zimmer and watch film on the guy to see if 2013 was an abnormality or indicative of a declining player.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote: I like the idea on the surface, but his contract and play make it a bit more complex for me. His performance last year in Sutton's press scheme was concerning (to put it mildly). He's just not very physical and I assume that's more of what the Vikings will be playing this year as well. He allowed a 66.7 percent completion rate, 846 yards, and four touchdowns in his coverage, while QBs had a 103.9 rating throwing at him (per those backwater gremlins at PFF). His height (5'9) isn't doing him any favors either. He'd still be an upgrade, but unless he restructures, I wouldn't want to absorb that contract. His performance last season doesn't warrant the price IMO. Some benefit of the doubt could be given as, if memory serves, he played through groin and knee injuries and he was one of the league's better corners in 2012. If you're Spielman, I suppose you consult Zimmer and watch film on the guy to see if 2013 was an abnormality or indicative of a declining player.
... and to see if he's a good fit.

Good post. The reasons you gave above are why I chose Moore over Flowers in the poll.

I had a good laugh at that "backwater gremlins" line too. :)
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Eli wrote:The Vikings need another 5'9" cornerback like they need Chris Kluwe to make a comeback.
They do need another 5' 9" cornerback! In fact, their goal should be to win the Super Bowl with nothing but DBs under 5'10". Then we can watch the rest of the teams in the "copycat" NFL cut big DBs and replace them with smaller players because, clearly, that will be the new way to win.