Vikings have big hopes for McKinnon

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Re: Vikings have big hopes for McKinnon

Post by DK Sweets »

I'm really not a big fan of us trying to run more of the read-option plays or moving the pocket. I think that is the right call with Russell Wilson, because he's a bit shorter and a little thicker. Moving the pocket helps him see the field a little bit better and he can take the hits with a tad more consistency. Teddy, on the other hand, is still fairly skinny and I don't want to see him taking the hits. And the VERY last thing I want to see Teddy develop is Ponder's "ALWAYS SCRAMBLE RIGHT" mentality.
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

This week's McKinnon update:

Week 8: 16 carries, 83 yards (5.2 ypc), 1 catch, -1 yards

Season: 76 carries, 392 yards (5.2 ypc), 17 catches, 92 yards

47 of his rushing yards this week came after contact for an average of 2.93 yards/carry after contact. Still looks strong to me.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

frosted21 wrote:This week's McKinnon update:

Week 8: 16 carries, 83 yards (5.2 ypc), 1 catch, -1 yards

Season: 76 carries, 392 yards (5.2 ypc), 17 catches, 92 yards

47 of his rushing yards this week came after contact for an average of 2.93 yards/carry after contact. Still looks strong to me.
And they still let Asiata get more touches in the fourth quarter. I gotta say, I was pretty puzzled by that decision, unless McKinnon was winded/injured.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
maembe
Franchise Player

Post by maembe »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote: And they still let Asiata get more touches in the fourth quarter. I gotta say, I was pretty puzzled by that decision, unless McKinnon was winded/injured.
Yeah, it seems crazy that they're still trying to shoehorn Asiata in the game at times still, especially in the fourth quarter.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

maembe wrote: Yeah, it seems crazy that they're still trying to shoehorn Asiata in the game at times still, especially in the fourth quarter.
I think they view him as a more reliable pass protector. He's had some nice runs and receptions this season so I don't have a problem with him spelling McKinnon at times.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

I agree with Jim here, Asiata has nice value. We can't complain about pass protection and then complain when we put in a far superior pass blocking back. You also have to utilize that back in other ways or it becomes a tip to the defense, and Asiata isn't explosive, but he is efficient.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

Question? Do we take Gurley in the 1st rd if there ?
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

Currently the top rookie runner in the NFL, and at #17 in the whole league. He has the second best average in the NFL among regular running backs at 5.2 ypc, just under the 5.5 for Forsett for the Ravens (a "backup guy" who is smoking hot for my fantasy team).

After getting five total carries in the first three games, he has 385 yards in the last five. Projecting over the next eight games at the rate of the last five, he'll have 1001 yards at the end of the season.

He does need to get into the end zone at some time though.
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

IIsweet wrote:Question? Do we take Gurley in the 1st rd if there ?
Best offensive lineman, unless there has been a run on them. That would be the best possible thing for our running game. Much more important than another running back.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

NFL.com named McKinnon (and Barr) to its midseason all-rookie team.

Read the article here.

Nice recognition for a kid who probably wasn't on anybody's preseason all-rookie team.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

Huge fan. Was on draft day too. Combine numbers off the charts.
Btw, for anyone not sure, Georgia Southern ran a wing T offense or an option offense.
McKinnon was a running QB. Coaches put the ball in his hands on every snap. Pretty smart!
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

IIsweet wrote:Huge fan. Was on draft day too. Combine numbers off the charts.
Btw, for anyone not sure, Georgia Southern ran a wing T offense or an option offense.
McKinnon was a running QB. Coaches put the ball in his hands on every snap. Pretty smart!
Way to go Ricky :rock:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

@MNBrianHall: Its entirely possible, in 11 games most of which were as a backup, that McKinnon will finish as #Vikings leading rusher with 538 yards.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

frosted wrote:
That sucks haha
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/ ... y-for-otas
The rookie played two games after injuring his lower back while lifting weights at the team facility and was placed on injured reserve Dec. 6. He finished the season as the Vikings' second-leading rusher, with 538 yards on 113 carries, and caught another 27 passes for 135 yards. Running backs coach Kirby Wilson said Friday he thinks McKinnon can be a featured back in the NFL, and he could wind up as the Vikings' primary option -- or at least the top back in a group of ball carriers -- if Adrian Peterson doesn't return next season.

"I can’t really say what’s going to happen," McKinnon said. "Nobody knows. It’s the NFL, things change. All I can do is work hard and come OTAs, come back out here and compete and show the coaches I can still do what I can."
Keep grinding, young buck.