Vikings have big hopes for McKinnon

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Vikings have big hopes for McKinnon

Post by chicagopurple »

he is a small scat back....built to come in and live off misdirections, etc. He is NOT a feature back who can grind it out as your main bak on design run plays all day....too undersized for that. I would expect we will spend a low draft choice on a big bulldozer at some point soon when it becomes clear that AP is gone for good. I would hope that McKinnon becomes a good back up RB and works on his option as a reciever out of the backfield. Losing AP changes everything, obvioulsly. BUT, in todays league it would be silly to try and find the next AP. We need a reliable RB that can pass block really well...its a passing league now. WE need an OL far more that an elite stud RB.
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

chicagopurple wrote:he is a small scat back....built to come in and live off misdirections, etc. He is NOT a feature back who can grind it out as your main bak on design run plays all day....too undersized for that. I would expect we will spend a low draft choice on a big bulldozer at some point soon when it becomes clear that AP is gone for good. I would hope that McKinnon becomes a good back up RB and works on his option as a reciever out of the backfield. Losing AP changes everything, obvioulsly. BUT, in todays league it would be silly to try and find the next AP. We need a reliable RB that can pass block really well...its a passing league now. WE need an OL far more that an elite stud RB.
He averaged 3 yards per carry AFTER first contact Sunday. He's 210 pounds. I'd have to disagree with your opinion of him.
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

Texas Vike wrote:
Pass it over here when you're done! Holy smokes, 75% we make a DEEP playoff run? That's some good herb.
Lmao. Snoop called and he said to pick him up some of that Chronic Bubonic!
So I guess a new O-line is coming FedEx this week? Tell Santa I need a new truck.
So, we are running the table the rest of the way? Woot Woot
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

frosted21 wrote: He averaged 3 yards per carry AFTER first contact Sunday. He's 210 pounds. I'd have to disagree with your opinion of him.
I agree, the kid looks like he can be the lead guy. Some people are too spoiled to realize that Adrian Peterson is a once in a lifetime talent, and the big name rushers in the league today ARE speed guys (Shady McCoy, Jamaal Charles). Also...the big bulldozer with pass blocking abilities chicagopurple is asking for sounds a lot like Asiata to me.
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

Honestly McKinnon has got to be one of the best things about this season so far. Barr is nice, but you expect that from the 9th overall pick. Teddy's had his ups and downs, but again, 1st rounder.

But McKinnon was a college QB taken in the 3rd round to play RB, and EVERYONE (myself included) was surprised and upset with the selection. Well, just 7 games into his rookie transition to RB, he currently has 2 starts, one of those for over 100 yards (against the best run defense in the league, might I add), another game over 100 yards which he did not start, and is averaging over 5 yards a carry. Will he be able to hold up like this for a full season? Idk, but he sure has looked promising
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

saint33 wrote:Honestly McKinnon has got to be one of the best things about this season so far. Barr is nice, but you expect that from the 9th overall pick. Teddy's had his ups and downs, but again, 1st rounder.

But McKinnon was a college QB taken in the 3rd round to play RB, and EVERYONE (myself included) was surprised and upset with the selection. Well, just 7 games into his rookie transition to RB, he currently has 2 starts, one of those for over 100 yards (against the best run defense in the league, might I add), another game over 100 yards which he did not start, and is averaging over 5 yards a carry. Will he be able to hold up like this for a full season? Idk, but he sure has looked promising
I agree. I certainly questioned the pick, since he had so few RB rushes. A 3rd round pick for a 3rd down back? But he showed yesterday, he can grind out the yards and take the hits. With a makeshift Oline.
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

It will b nice if it works out that way but i am not holding my breath. The coaches are smart to make hom the feature back this yr and learn if he can take the load. I am suspicious of conversion projects.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Personally, I would like to see Mckinnon get the punt return job. He is at least twice as fast as Sherels (well maybe not twice) and I don't think it would take him that long to be at least as good as Sherels, in knowing when to return, when to fair catch, when to let it fly, etc.
frosted
Career Elite Player

Vikings have big hopes for McKinnon

Post by frosted »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: I agree. I certainly questioned the pick, since he had so few RB rushes. A 3rd round pick for a 3rd down back? But he showed yesterday, he can grind out the yards and take the hits. With a makeshift Oline.
I loved the pick! I've been on the McKinnon train since May.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:Personally, I would like to see Mckinnon get the punt return job. He is at least twice as fast as Sherels (well maybe not twice) and I don't think it would take him that long to be at least as good as Sherels, in knowing when to return, when to fair catch, when to let it fly, etc.
Did mckinnon return punts in college?
Also, I like Sherels as a back up CB because he has held his own when called upon.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
John Bonnes
Waterboy

Post by John Bonnes »

He's short, but he's more muscular than I had expected. His body type reminds me of Harvin a little, small but crazy strong. I don't think that Yards after contact stat this weekend was a mirage.

(I just checked - he's listed as 2 inches shorter but 30 pounds heavier than Harvin.)

Speed or no, I don't think I want him taking shots on punt returns. He seems more dangerous when he can get lost in the crowd. And I can't imaging the coaching staff wanting to risk hurting their de facto starting running back (especially one who is only 5' 9") on a punt return. This team has enough injuries already.

I hope they continue to give him more carries. He's earning them. That's fun to see.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

When Jerick McKinnon faces four or fewer defensive backs (poet's question: linemen?), he has 218 yards on 35 carries for a 6.23 yards per carry average. That is the best rate for those with at least 30 snaps against a base or goal-line defense.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... -week-7-3/
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Jerick might be a little small for an every down back in the NFL

If we fix our OL into a awesome line, and get a battery ram to go with him .... 6-3 240- 250 guy that can wear
teams down and then let McKinnon go nuts in the second half
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

They must mean linemen. How often does a defense field fewer than 4 defensive backs?

That's an impressive stat for McKinnon and it may speak a bit to the o-line's strengths and weaknesses as well.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

jackal wrote:Jerick might be a little small for an every down back in the NFL

If we fix our OL into a awesome line, and get a battery ram to go with him .... 6-3 240- 250 guy that can wear
teams down and then let McKinnon go nuts in the second half
Maybe Boobie Dixon?
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins