DE Scott Crichton

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

DE Scott Crichton

Post by dead_poet »

I admit, I didn't know much about him. Some of his tape suggests a high-motor, Jared-Allen type guy but almost more...violent. Not quite as fluid or fast. Really seems like "Zimmer guy."

Highlight tape: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4rdxv-WoYc

Scouting reports: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/play ... t-crichton

http://www.dailynorseman.com/2014/5/9/5 ... gs-defense

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/ ... id=2543639

http://nfl.si.com/2014/04/09/2014-nfl-d ... -crichton/
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Oakdale63
Backup

Re: DE Scott Crichton

Post by Oakdale63 »

He honestly looks like an unbelievable talent. A starting lineup with Griffen and Chrichton sounds way more appealing than Griffen and Robison.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Oakdale63 wrote:He honestly looks like an unbelievable talent. A starting lineup with Griffen and Chrichton sounds way more appealing than Griffen and Robison.
I like his upside as an eventual Robison replacement and a backup/sub-package player, but Robison still has some good years left. I'm not sure why, but to me he always seems like he's the middle child of the Vikings defensive line, yet is an above-average at the position (IMO). I guess Crichton brings the "unknown" component, which is more appealing on the surface to some than what has been seen out of Robison. YMMV
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

This D-line looks like it could be very dynamic. :rock:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote:Robison is the Loadholt of Defense. He's disliked, when there's no real reason to dislike him.

Maybe we should go back to the days of Darrion Scott and Marcus Johnson.
totally agree with this. I think it's because he doesn't put up big sack totals.

But he was easily our best lineman last year. Significantly better than anyone else in fact
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

saint33 wrote: totally agree with this. I think it's because he doesn't put up big sack totals.

But he was easily our best lineman last year. Significantly better than anyone else in fact

Someone on here noted the other day that Robison was offended by Mayock's assessment of his play after the Crichton pick (or Barr?); Mayock said he was an OK player, but that no one in the conference was frightened by him. I have always liked Robison--since his days as a Longhorn. He is underrated. I hope he learns a new sack celebration though.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Texas Vike wrote:
Someone on here noted the other day that Robison was offended by Mayock's assessment of his play after the Crichton pick (or Barr?); Mayock said he was an OK player, but that no one in the conference was frightened by him. I have always liked Robison--since his days as a Longhorn. He is underrated. I hope he learns a new sack celebration though.
Didn't he lead the league in "hurries" which is very impactfull in most games. I like his game and his motor.

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Robison has always used that exact kind of thing as fuel. So let's just go ahead and thank Mayock now for Robison's 15 sack year we're about to receive! :P
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

mondry wrote:Robison has always used that exact kind of thing as fuel. So let's just go ahead and thank Mayock now for Robison's 15 sack year we're about to receive! :P
With the interior line "set" and taking up blockers, I could easily see him getting 10 or 12 sacks.

PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote:Robison is the Loadholt of Defense. He's disliked, when there's no real reason to dislike him.

Maybe we should go back to the days of Darrion Scott and Marcus Johnson.
Hah you nailed. it. I expect him to have a big year this season. But then, a lot depends on what Zimmer is going to run. I bet theres going to be twice as many blitzes as we saw last year. Mostly because we still have no one who can cover over the middle.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

mondry wrote:Robison has always used that exact kind of thing as fuel. So let's just go ahead and thank Mayock now for Robison's 15 sack year we're about to receive! :P
Yeah, there's nothing better than a diss to get inspired.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Crichton is built very similarly to Everson Griffen. Neither of them have the ideal length you'd like to see in 4-3 DE, but they're just big enough that they can shift inside in pass rushing situations.

How about this defensive line on 3rd and 20?

Robison
Crichton
Griffen
Barr

:)
Slick Rick
Transition Player

Post by Slick Rick »

Eli wrote:Crichton is built very similarly to Everson Griffen. Neither of them have the ideal length you'd like to see in 4-3 DE, but they're just big enough that they can shift inside in pass rushing situations.

How about this defensive line on 3rd and 20?

Robison
Crichton
Griffen
Barr

:)
Yeah, who knows with the way this offseason is panning out to be honest. Anything's possible with the new coaching staff, but apparently there's a rumor about him being a LB too. That'd be quite the bulky front-seven if the rumor is to be believed. Barr's 255, Brinkley's 255, Crichton's 270, Robison's 265, Griffen's 280, Floyd's supposedly 305, and Joseph's about 330. Can't imagine it'd be easy to run on so many big bodies up front like that, and you know with 6 legitimate pass rushers on the field that the QB wouldn't have too long to get the ball out...

Back to reality though, I think Crichton's probably a lineman before anything else. He's not really that fast or anything, he ran a 4.8 40, so I'm not entirely sure where he fits in other than being a key reserve. I know in Cincy, Zimmer's LBs were pretty bulky and ran about a 4.8 40 and were considered high-aggression players like Crichton. Something to keep an eye on, not that it's even being legitimately considered, but it wouldn't surprise me.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Agressive defensive lineman? 4.8 forty?....Pssh. This franchise employed John Randle, folks. That forty-yard dash time isn't so relevant in the trenches.

They don't play the same position, so I'll stop the comparison there, but combine doesn't mean much to me when you talk about some of these positions. Anyway...He plays tough and agressive, knows how to tackle and he can force fumbles. Sounds good to me. Not all guys along the front have to wow in college to be productive pro's. With what I mentioned about Barr, I feel the same about Crichton. He'll be coached up and should be a key piece with what he does well at.
Delaqure
Franchise Player

Post by Delaqure »

I am one of the few who like Robison. I don't really get the dislike for him. He always seem to be in the thick of things, he bats down a lot of balls and while he isn't a sack monster he creates a lot of hurries. He seems a very solid player and is not caught out of position often.

That being said it will be interesting to see what Crichten brings to the table.