Report: Vikes looking to "get rid of" AP (AD)

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Would you trade Adrian Peterson if the price was right

Yes, sometime before 2014 season starts
18%
Yes, sometime after 2014 season, before 2015 season
5%
No, not within the next 2 years, keep him here, wait and reevaluate after a couple years
30%
Never, AD must retire a Viking
45%
Other
2%

Total votes: 66

Just Me
Hall of Famer

Re: Report: Vikes looking to "get rid of" AP (AD)

Post by Just Me »

You gotta love AD's attitude. Eventually age will catch up to him (as it does with everyone), but I find it easy to believe that he'll be one of the backs that remain very productive as he passes the 30-year-mark.
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

It's interesting, if you read Peterson's quote carefully. He talks about two different things.

He mentions the inevitability of his retirement, but what's really on his mind is how long he'll stay with the Vikings, with the business aspect of team/player relations and what happened to Harvin and Allen, neither of whom left the team by retiring.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Vikings OC Norv Turner plans to get Adrian Peterson involved in the passing game.

Peterson has averaged a paltry 5.6 yards a reception over the last two seasons being used primarily as a check-down option. Turner will use Peterson more creatively this season, getting him in space and allowing him to make plays. Peterson should be one of the first players off the board this draft season.

ESPN 1500 Twin Cities

--
:clap:
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Funkytown wrote:Vikings OC Norv Turner plans to get Adrian Peterson involved in the passing game.

Peterson has averaged a paltry 5.6 yards a reception over the last two seasons being used primarily as a check-down option. Turner will use Peterson more creatively this season, getting him in space and allowing him to make plays. Peterson should be one of the first players off the board this draft season.

ESPN 1500 Twin Cities

--
:clap:

We've heard it before but we haven't seen it happen enough so hopefully, Norv will be true to his intentions and actually get Peterson more involved in the passing game.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Mothman wrote: It does make me wonder if he has pass catching issues or something, because like you said... we've heard it before. I do think we need to do more screens with him, and some flea flickers and stuff. Hopefully Norv will be able to get this offense rolling like we want it to1

We've heard it before but we haven't seen it happen enough so hopefully, Norv will be true to his intentions and actually get Peterson more involved in the passing game.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote:
It also depends on the QB. Favre got AD involved in the passing game more.

As far as that goes, I hope the entire team gets involved in the passing game more...and better.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

losperros wrote:It also depends on the QB. Favre got AD involved in the passing game more.

As far as that goes, I hope the entire team gets involved in the passing game more...and better.
Honestly, I think a lot of that will have to do with how much the defense improves and (obviously) how effective the Vikings can be running whatever they choose to run on offense. When they can sustain drives, that obviously results in more plays and more opportunities for everybody. What I mean regarding the defense is simply that when they get off the field, that gives the offense opportunities and too often in recent years, the offense was left on the bench while the defense allowed time-consuming scoring drives and one third down conversion after another.

I know, none of that is particularly insightful but it seems relevant. :)
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote: Honestly, I think a lot of that will have to do with how much the defense improves and (obviously) how effective the Vikings can be running whatever they choose to run on offense. When they can sustain drives, that obviously results in more plays and more opportunities for everybody. What I mean regarding the defense is simply that when they get off the field, that gives the offense opportunities and too often in recent years, the offense was left on the bench while the defense allowed time-consuming scoring drives and one third down conversion after another.

I know, none of that is particularly insightful but it seems relevant. :)
Definitely relevant. This is especially true when you look at last season's late game collapses by the defense. It used to drive me crazy.

Yeah, yeah, I know. I'm already crazy. Fine, then it used to drive me crazier. :D

Back to AD, I guess I'm just saying that Favre is a QB who involves his RBs in the passing game. I'm hoping the Vikings QBs do the same. I mean, if they don't throw to AD, they're wasting a guy who is dangerous any time he has room on the field. Of course, AD has to make the catches, which is why he's apparently working on improving his receiving skills.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

losperros wrote:Back to AD, I guess I'm just saying that Favre is a QB who involves his RBs in the passing game. I'm hoping the Vikings QBs do the same. I mean, if they don't throw to AD, they're wasting a guy who is dangerous any time he has room on the field. Of course, AD has to make the catches, which is why he's apparently working on improving his receiving skills.
I think one of the reasons Favre was able to involve Peterson in the passing game more in 2009 was because they had so firmly established a downfield passing game, particularly the connection between Favre and Rice. That opened things up for a lot more check downs and Favre was wise enough to take them, giving Peterson the ball in space against defenders
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote: I think one of the reasons Favre was able to involve Peterson in the passing game more in 2009 was because they had so firmly established a downfield passing game, particularly the connection between Favre and Rice. That opened things up for a lot more check downs and Favre was wise enough to take them, giving Peterson the ball in space against defenders
Yes, I agree with that. I'd like to see that dynamic emerge from this present Vikings team.

On that note, I've read some positive comments by both Turner and Zimmer regarding Bridgewater's medium to deep passes.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Mothman wrote: We've heard it before but we haven't seen it happen enough so hopefully, Norv will be true to his intentions and actually get Peterson more involved in the passing game.
It'd probably help if he did a better job of it. Not let easy catches bounce off his hands because of a lapse in concentration, or watching a blitzer he's responsible for blow right by him. Could he do it? Of course he could...but when every back on the roster can do it better....really wonder at this point if he's even trying to improve in those areas as much as he should be.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Demi wrote:It'd probably help if he did a better job of it. Not let easy catches bounce off his hands because of a lapse in concentration, or watching a blitzer he's responsible for blow right by him.
So you keep saying but he's improved greatly as a blocker over the years and he's certainly not a liability catching the ball. Turner doesn't sound reluctant to trust him with either responsibility.
Could he do it? Of course he could...but when every back on the roster can do it better....really wonder at this point if he's even trying to improve in those areas as much as he should be.
As a matter of fact, he has been working on it:

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/As_T ... hing062014
Peterson said he's worked alone this offseason on his hands, never considered his strength.
Head coach Mike Zimmer was asked this week if he'd seen anything from Peterson that surprised him. He said he knew about the speed and the power, but Peterson's cuts made an impression, as did his hands.
"The way he catches the ball is very, very good, I didn't know what kind of receiver he was," Zimmer said.

"I think I've seen him drop one ball the whole time [in three days of minicamp]. ... Obviously, when he's got the ball in the hands he's extremely dangerous. I think he caught one out here today on a flat route or a swing route."
There's obviously a typo there since Zimmer clearly meant that he hasn't seen him drop a pass the whole time. :)
"He's got good hands, I think he's comfortable with the routes that we would ask him to run," Turner said. "It's certainly not the lead part of what we're doing. We threw a screen to him yesterday that was as nicely set up as you could ask for and the linemen got out in front. If we can get him in space like that throughout a game, throughout the season it will help all of us."
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

It might be worth remembering this report from last December too, folks:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... ta-vikings
Ownership not only reveres Peterson, but it also believes his star power is essential as the Vikings prepare to open a new stadium in 2016. "They want him running through that tunnel," Silver said.

The Vikings understand that a running back with a ton of carries on his legs could experience a precipitous decline in production over the next couple of seasons. However, Vikings brass isn't worried about that possibility and wants him in Minnesota for the long haul.
Trading Peterson always was a ludicrous idea for the Vikings. Turnarounds happen too quickly in the NFL to bail on a premier player. The haul Minnesota would receive for a running back wouldn't be enough to make it worth moving A.P. Let's not forget this is a team that was in the playoffs last season.

Good NFL teams work to collect game-changing talent. They don't trade it away.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

This part deserves to be bolded.
Good NFL teams work to collect game-changing talent. They don't trade it away.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

dead_poet wrote:This part deserves to be bolded.
Herschel Walker.