2014 NFL Draft Discussion Thread - Round 1

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

S197
Fenrir

Re: 2014 NFL Draft Discussion Thread - Round 1

Post by S197 »

saint33 wrote:we have 2 3rd round picks, unless the Teddy trade was reported wrong? They gave up a 4th pick, not a 3rd
I meant "wow we haven't taken anyone in the 2nd round and only one (Robinson) in the 3rd." They still have their two 3rd round picks this year.
King James
All Pro Elite Player

Post by King James »

Bridgewater will prove all the naysayers wrong. He still is the best QB in this draft.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

We have picks 72 and 96 in R3
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
oldskoolvikingfan
Starter

Post by oldskoolvikingfan »

S197 wrote:
Yea I think we gave them pick #108 which is the 4th rounder and we still have two 3rd round picks plus the 5th rounder from Cleveland.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@MasterStrib 18m
"Norv really likes Bridgewater. He talks to me all the time about the potential he has at QB." -Zimmer #Vikings
@DerekWetmore 18m
Zimmer on Bridgewater: "He's got an aggressive offensive personality...I think that's important that him and I think alike."
-- I don't get that vibe from him at all, but OK ZIm.
@GoesslingESPN 17m
Zimmer said #Vikings wouldn't have moved up to get just anybody. Said Norv Turner really liked Bridgewater.
Zimmer: "Teddy will play when we feel like he's ready -- if he's the best guy, which we hope that he will."
‏@MasterStrib 16m
"They were drooling when they came back." -Zimmer said about Bridgewater's private workout. He didn't attend that. #Vikings
@TomPelissero 16m
Zimmer: "The biggest thing is he wins. He wins ... and he makes the players around him better." Sensing a theme here.
‏@TomPelissero 15m
Zimmer says Bridgewater wore his glove in private workout. Duh.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

I can't believe the hate some are showing. It makes ZERO sense!!! I mean, DEMI is positive fpr God's sake! I guess you truly can't please everyone.

Great draft for the Vikings so far. I am impressed. I can't wait for the season!!
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

If you're a Game of Thrones fan, you'll enjoy this Tweet.
Liz Drabick ‏@ldrabick Johnny Manziel muttering team names like Arya Stark.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

dead_poet wrote:If you're a Game of Thrones fan, you'll enjoy this Tweet.
:lol:

Hopefully since we at least tried we're not on that top 5 list.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Houston's pick tomorrow will be interesting, do they go back to the Carr well again?
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

dead_poet wrote:If you're a Game of Thrones fan, you'll enjoy this Tweet.
Awesome.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Mothman wrote: Reach smeach...

That sort of thinking is over-thinking. If you need a quarterback and you think Manziel is worth the cost of at least two picks (no way they move up to the Eagles spot for less than that) then why screw around, pass on him and hope you can get him what, 11 picks later? That's ridiculous. If Manziel was a reach at #9 he was a reach at #20.

To me, fussing over value to that degree is just screwing around when a team shouldn't be screwing around, especially at the QB position. If they believed in Manziel enough to spend a first round pick on him, that's exactly what they should have done. What is that supposed 11 pick difference in value going to mean down the road if Manziel ends up being a an excellent NFL quarterback?
I don't get your line of thinking, if a player is rated at #20 on our board and it's the #22nd pick of the draft, you see no difference between drafting the guy at #22 compared to drafting him at #9? Cmon man, there are 13 players you scouted and rated HIGHER between then and now. The whole point is to take the players they spend so much time scouting and ranking and USE THAT INFORMATION TO MAKE GOOD DECISIONS.

They clearly thought a TON of Anthony Barr, they didn't spend that pick on Manziel because THEY THOUGHT BARR WAS THE BETTER PLAYER. That's what that "11 pick difference in value is going to mean down the road". If Anthony Barr becomes a probowl or hall of famer, THAT would be the difference and he's a player they had HIGHER ranked than Manziel which means to THEM, THEY think he's more -likely- to have that kind of difference making career! It doesn't have anything to do with thinking Manziel will succeed, it has everything to do with a superior prospect at another position of need being available to them.

That's the entire draft in a nutshell, that's why there are multiple rounds and the teams take turns picking. You take the guys you think are most likely to be GREAT players FIRST! Once some of those guys are gone NFL teams still have more picks so now you can look at that next level of guy. Manziel just happened to fall into a spot on our board that wasn't worthy of #9 where you have freaks like Barr on the board but was worth it at around #22 when those elite level guys are all snatched up.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Texas Vike wrote:Cool. I'm glad they addressed the position. Glad it wasn't Carr.
You and me both man, I'm glad we got someone and I'm 100% happy it wasn't Carr. :lol:
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

Great value only giving up a 4th to sneak back into the 1st and take Teddy.

Other than the Pro Day, everyone on this board would have been thrilled to have him at #8! Now we have him for #40 and a 4th!????

Wow, big day. This could be huge. Much happier with Teddy over any of the other QBs in this draft. Time will tell of course, but right now it feels good.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Demi, I'm agreeing with you too much tonight and it scares me :lol: I'm the same way. We have had very similar thoughts on Spielman, Barr, and Teddy tonight. I'm loving day 1 and can't wait for day 2!!
LOL! No kidding! DEMI HAS IT RIGHT! WE GOT FREAKING BRIDGEWATER AND BARR! That happens 2 months ago we'd all be pooping our pants in excitement! What a robbery by Spielman tonight, sick sick draft! Let's draft our players based on their football played, not combine garbage!
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

mondry wrote: LOL! No kidding! DEMI HAS IT RIGHT! WE GOT FREAKING BRIDGEWATER AND BARR! That happens 2 months ago we'd all be pooping our pants in excitement! What a robbery by Spielman tonight, sick sick draft! Let's draft our players based on their football played, not combine garbage!
I agree. Couldn't be happier with both picks. Some say Barr was a reach but Zimmer and Rick both said teams behind them were gunning for Barr. A few teams called Zimmer after picking Barr saying it was a great pick and that Barr was their guy too. You gotta pull the trigger on Barr there
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri