2014 NFL Draft Discussion Thread - Round 1

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: 2014 NFL Draft Discussion Thread - Round 1

Post by dead_poet »

@GoesslingESPN 14m
Spielman said Bridgewater was best against the blitz of any QB the #Vikings studied. #MINPick
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Agreed I liked the move! Should have known they would have traded with the Seahawks.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

dead_poet wrote:
Mmmmm, right. If the cat wasn't out of the bag about trying to get Manziel, Bridgewater would have be the No. 1 quarterback on the Vikings' board and they'd be happy. There's only one way to spin it.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

We got the #1 Qb last year, #1 QB this year. First time EVER. No more grabbing the fifth best, etc. We'll see how he does. But you HAVE to try. If he starts this year or not. You have to keep trying. We'll see but when has a "veteran" fill in panned out?

I'd hate to be Cassell right now, but at least we tried again. I was scared Spielman wouldn't try. But instead of reaching for a bum like TJoke or Ponder...or trading for a never will be like Feeley for a 2nd?

Teddy is black. What else do you have? A pro day? Because race, and a pro day. That's all you have. I'm not a fan of Spielman, haven't been. But two solid picks day one. How can you complain? QB of the future and a stud young athlete at a position of need. FINALLY, after over a DECADE, we look to be starting a DAMN good rebuild.

Can't believe Spielman managed this. But he did. Even though it's really what you'd expect, and a mock draft expert could do it, it's freakin' AMAZING that he pulled it off.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

dead_poet wrote:
Our track record with QBs doesn't leave me confident. But I like Teddy and think he's pretty darn valuable to get him where he did. I would've been happier with Manziel, but Bridgewater was my #2. I hope he turns out to be another Rick Special (Patterson, Smith trade back into the end of the first). I have my reservation about him and I'm nervous about not having a second-round pick. If he doesn't pan out I...I...I just don't know what I'll do.
Our track record means nothing when you now have Norv Turner on the staff. He made Brian Hoyer a decent QB, I'm sure he will be okay with Teddy
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@SeifertESPN 14m
Teddy Bridgewater vs. blitz in 2013: 70.1 pct completions, 11 YPA, 15 TD, 1 INT.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@TomPelissero 14m
Spielman says #Vikings had private workout with Bridgewater after his pro day. Also brought him in for visit. 5th-year option was a factor.
@NFLosophy 14m
MIN GM Spielman's 1st 3 rounds since '12: OT Kalil, S Harrison, CB Robinson, DT Floyd, CB Rhodes, WR Patterson, LB Barr, QB Bridgewater.
@MasterStrib 14m
Spielman said he didn't see the Pro Day flaws during private workout when Norv Turner worked with him, cleaned up the minor issues #Vikings
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Just curious....what would be your "dream" draft?? Because it seems like you're being pretty negative regarding any pick we have and have little justification behind it.
They need a QB, they got a QB, even if they wanted a different one. Not negative. It is what it is. In a few years we'll know if it was a good pick or not. I prefer Bridgewater to Manziel, for whatever that's worth.
Bigwehrm
Starter

Post by Bigwehrm »

Why can no one understand we didnt lose a 2nd round pick. We just gained a first rounder the only pick we lost was a fourth rounder. An awesome awesome value to move back into the first round. Man by now seattles butt has got to be sore from Rick slipping it to em with no lube.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Eli wrote: Mmmmm, right. If the cat wasn't out of the bag about trying to get Manziel, Bridgewater would have be the No. 1 quarterback on the Vikings' board and they'd be happy. There's only one way to spin it.
Really? Manziel is a twit brained me first jack #### who couldn't even keep it together in college off the field, noodle armed midget.. Despite an elite WR and OT in THIS draft from his team.

I'll take Bridgewater over Manziel ANY day.

We'll see in a few years...
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Bigwehrm wrote:Why can no one understand we didnt lose a 2nd round pick. We just gained a first rounder the only pick we lost was a fourth rounder. An awesome awesome value to move back into the first round. Man by now seattles butt has got to be sore from Rick slipping it to em with no lube.
Good point.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Demi wrote:We got the #1 Qb last year, #1 QB this year. First time EVER. No more grabbing the fifth best, etc. We'll see how he does. But you HAVE to try. If he starts this year or not. You have to keep trying. We'll see but when has a "veteran" fill in panned out?

I'd hate to be Cassell right now, but at least we tried again. I was scared Spielman wouldn't try. But instead of reaching for a bum like TJoke or Ponder...or trading for a never will be like Feeley for a 2nd?

Teddy is black. What else do you have? A pro day? Because race, and a pro day. That's all you have. I'm not a fan of Spielman, haven't been. But two solid picks day one. How can you complain? QB of the future and a stud young athlete at a position of need. FINALLY, after over a DECADE, we look to be starting a DAMN good rebuild.

Can't believe Spielman managed this. But he did. Even though it's really what you'd expect, and a mock draft expert could do it, it's freakin' AMAZING that he pulled it off.
Demi, I'm agreeing with you too much tonight and it scares me :lol: I'm the same way. We have had very similar thoughts on Spielman, Barr, and Teddy tonight. I'm loving day 1 and can't wait for day 2!!
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

‏@TomPelissero 53s
Spielman says Bridgewater has time to develop. But won't rule out playing him in Year 1.
@MasterStrib 1m
"That will be determined by the coaching staff" -Spielman on whether Bridgewater will sit a year. #Vikings
Husker Vike
Franchise Player

Post by Husker Vike »

Pretty happy how the draft has went so far I didn't think Rick would pull this off, we had to try and get a top QB prospect
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Demi wrote:I'd hate to be Cassell right now
Seriously?