Decision on Ponder's option may not be easy

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

King James
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Decision on Ponder's option may not be easy

Post by King James »

Laserman wrote:You Ponder guys really crack me up. No matter how poorly he plays you guys still have hope in him. Why??? Time and time again this guy has shown he isn't NFL talent. At his Best he has barely even been decent throwing short passes, never had a quality accuracte medium pass and has downright been terrible throwing a long pass. I don't get Ponder support. Why want a mediocre QB?
Ponder was placed in a bad situation. He was supposed to sit that entire season and learn under McNabb. The McNabb experiment didn't work out so it was either him or Joe Webb. He never got a chance to develop properly. He was just thrown in while everyone just hoped that he'd improve overnight. Had he actually sat on a bench a season or two, I think he would have been better prepared or more NFL ready.

Now he has a chance to learn under Norv Turner. He has a chance to get groomed if the team chooses to keep him around. I also like his worth ethic. No matter how bad he played he never quit. He never pointed the finger at anyone but himself. He knew he had to get better, which is why I'm not surprised he didn't get upset when they benched him.

I just still believe somewhere deep down, Ponder will one day find that switch and become the QB he was drafted to be. He may not be with this team for long but I have a feeling he will get better.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

There's simply no way they pick up his option. As the article mentions his option is $3 million MORE than JJ Watt. Let that marinate for a while, I don't care if it's only guaranteed under injury that's still way too risky. You either let him play out the year or you restructure his contract and give him a "prove it" deal that Brez should have as a Microsoft Word template by now. Absolute no brainer.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

They need to get rid of this parasite as fast as they can. How many games did he win last year? How many post have people made about him just here? Let some other team see if their magical new HC and OC can do something with him. If Zimmer and Norv see something in him, we are in deep trouble.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:They need to get rid of this parasite as fast as they can. How many games did he win last year? How many post have people made about him just here? Let some other team see if their magical new HC and OC can do something with him. If Zimmer and Norv see something in him, we are in deep trouble.
Parasite? Seriously? Holy smokes… some of the takes here are just out of control.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote: Parasite? Seriously? Holy smokes… some of the takes here are just out of control.
:lol: You can say that again. Wow...
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Maybe it is just me, but I don't see how this isn't an easy decision. Ponder's option should not be picked up, plain and simple. He obviously isn't in the future plans of the team.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Texas Vike wrote: Parasite? Seriously? Holy smokes… some of the takes here are just out of control.
a person who receives support, advantage, or the like, from another or others without giving any useful or proper return
Really? Sounds pretty in control to me.

Now, the people who still have faith in Ponder? Now that's out of control. He even got the ridiculous 30+ asinine Spielman starts and people STILL refuse to accept it.
Ponder was placed in a bad situation. He was supposed to sit that entire season and learn under McNabb. The McNabb experiment didn't work out so it was either him or Joe Webb. He never got a chance to develop properly. He was just thrown in while everyone just hoped that he'd improve overnight. Had he actually sat on a bench a season or two, I think he would have been better prepared or more NFL ready.
At the time he was "NFL ready". He didn't need all that time. He had so many years, so many snaps, he was so smart. Did the half dozen other QBs who started year one in the league right now just not need that development? Or were they just better QBs? And hoping he'd improve overnight? How about over 3 seasons? Nah, guess not. He needs more time. :rofl:
Now he has a chance to learn under Norv Turner. He has a chance to get groomed if the team chooses to keep him around. I also like his worth ethic. No matter how bad he played he never quit. He never pointed the finger at anyone but himself. He knew he had to get better, which is why I'm not surprised he didn't get upset when they benched him.
Who has Norv Turnver ever groomed? We had to listen to the nonsense about Childress and Musgrave being QB grooming master molders. Work ethic? Based on what? Fluff pieces. Did you see him lift one weight or attend one meeting?
I just still believe somewhere deep down, Ponder will one day find that switch and become the QB he was drafted to be. He may not be with this team for long but I have a feeling he will get better.
And then pigs will fly. The earth is flat. And they'll reel in the loch ness monster.

Sooner this guy is off the roster the better it is for this team. Too bad the guy who drafted him in the first place has control of the roster or he'd be gone already...
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

King James wrote: Ponder was placed in a bad situation. He was supposed to sit that entire season and learn under McNabb. The McNabb experiment didn't work out so it was either him or Joe Webb. He never got a chance to develop properly. He was just thrown in while everyone just hoped that he'd improve overnight. Had he actually sat on a bench a season or two, I think he would have been better prepared or more NFL ready.

Exactly the fantasy dreamer Ponder Love that I don't understand. Always making excuse for a CRAP QB. " You still Believe Deep Down" and I say Why? What leads you to think that way? Dump Ponder ASAP. I actually think Tjoke is a way better QB than Ponder
King James
All Pro Elite Player

Post by King James »

I forgot Demi and Laserman are NFL analyst. :lol: They know everything there is to know about QBs. Oh wait, you're both just a common poster just like me. So I don't know why you to try to make yourselves look so smarter than people who still believe in certain players you don't like. You both think Ponder needs to be gone, okay we get it. Now to dissect this situation.

Demi, I told you where his work ethic came into play. I'm guessing you didn't read that part. But I'm SURE if he had poor work ethic players would have came out about it. Some players called out Josh Freeman on his work ethic. So I don't have to be there smart guy.

As for grooming I think in recent years he did a good job with Philip Rivers and the QB carousel he had in Cleveland. He made that 3rd string QB look like a potential pro bowler before he got injured.

If you knew anything about human evolution in general, you'd know it takes some people to learn fast than others. Ponder has not played 3 full season. 2012 was is only full season. He was thrown in, in 2011 when our season was lost. 2013, the coaching staff played hot potato with the starting QB spot after his injury. 2012 was the only real full season we had with him. But as I was saying, Ponder was not ready to start. If he was they would have not grabbed McNabb. You can look at his college tape and see that while he did come from a pro style offense, his mechanics and decision making still needed work. Some guys can step in and contribute right away. Some can't. That's why he should have never been drafted in the 1st round. But according to your logic, all QBs should be able to step in and contribute.

LaserMan, I don't understand your fantasy hate for Ponder. When has T-Jack ever led this team to the playoffs? And the 2008 season doesn't count because Gus Ferotte already put this team in good position for a playoff birth. Though Peterson carried most of the load in 2012, all Ponder had to due was not screw up too much and he managed to do that. While T-Jack throws dumb picks and gets chokeslammed by defenders while trying to make a tackle. I told why I believe in Ponder. You and Demi need to reread it because I just addressed that question yet you ask me the same question.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

Holy crap ~
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Demi wrote: Really? Sounds pretty in control to me.

Now, the people who still have faith in Ponder? Now that's out of control. He even got the ridiculous 30+ asinine Spielman starts and people STILL refuse to accept it.
You guys are off your rockers. You don't even think he's worthy of being a 3rd stringer? He's a "parasite" ? In what way? I don't want him to start. I thought Cassell looked better than him and hope to God we draft a solid prospect this year… but I'm not so stupid as to not recognize he may be worth keeping around for his 4th year. i don't see why we'd exercise the option on his 5th year… but to call him a parasite?
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

We can get as much use out of a much cheaper option as our #3. why waste the money and spot on someone who has already proven they aren't cut out for the league? So they can come in and play like a bum if someone else gets hurt?...for ten times the salary...
If you knew anything about human evolution in general, you'd know it takes some people to learn fast than others.
He's had 4 years of college, three years in the NFL. Still not enough? Wait, yep, it's enough. He is what he is. He's evolved as far as he's going to evolve. :confused:
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Demi wrote:We can get as much use out of a much cheaper option as our #3. why waste the money and spot on someone who has already proven they aren't cut out for the league? So they can come in and play like a bum if someone else gets hurt?...for ten times the salary...
He's had 4 years of college, three years in the NFL. Still not enough? Wait, yep, it's enough. He is what he is. He's evolved as far as he's going to evolve. :confused:
In his college career, of the 4 years that you stated he played, he played in ONE game his freshman year, 13 games his sophomore year, 9 games his jr. year and 12 his senior year. So out of a possible 52 games in a 4 year college career he played in only 35 games out of 52. Yep that is 17 less than you would have some one believe. With a 132.1 career QB rating. As far as his 3 years in the pros, he has played in 36 out of a possible 48 games, which is 12 games less than 3 whole seasons.

Passing
Year School Conf Class Pos G Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate
*2007 Florida State ACC 1 8 18 44.4 105 5.8 1.9 1 2 89.6
*2008 Florida State ACC 13 177 318 55.7 2006 6.3 5.3 14 13 115.0
*2009 Florida State ACC 9 227 330 68.8 2717 8.2 8.1 14 7 147.7
*2010 Florida State ACC 12 184 299 61.5 2044 6.8 7.0 20 8 135.7
Career Florida State 596 965 61.8 6872 7.1 6.7 49 30 132.1
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

:rofl:

All you have to do is write the name "Christian Ponder" here and the craziness and vitriol just flow.
majorm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by majorm »

Mothman wrote::rofl:

All you have to do is write the name "Christian Ponder" here and the craziness and vitriol just flow.
Yeah, it can really get nasty. 8)