Teddy

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

S197
Fenrir

Re: Teddy

Post by S197 »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote: Fairley is overrated. A nice player and certainly better than Ponder but Detroit might not even pick up his option for next year.
He came out of the gate slow (mostly because he had a hard time staying on the field) but he looks like he's improved each year.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Bridgewater's stock has dropped for asinine reasons. Honestly, I have never seen a quarterback's stock drop so much leading up to the draft as much as Teddy's has. We are going to make a mistake if we pass on Bridgewater. Just wait and see.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
majorm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by majorm »

This draft is crazy! Can anybody ever remember when even the #1 pick had no consensus. I mean there has been the debate over this QB or that QB but nobody even knows what position will be the first pick!

I still think the Vikings HAVE to go defense with their first pick and THEN target a QB. Then do whatever they have to to get the guy they want.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

majorm wrote:This draft is crazy! Can anybody ever remember when even the #1 pick had no consensus.

Sure, it's not that unusual. In fact, if I remember correctly, there wasn't a consensus about it last year. Unless there is a clear-cut #1 QB and a team at the top of the draft that needs one, there tends to be at least a little uncertainty regarding who will be picked first.
I still think the Vikings HAVE to go defense with their first pick and THEN target a QB. Then do whatever they have to to get the guy they want.
I think they should just keep all options on the table and make whatever choice they feel is best for them. Going into the draft determined to to use a top 10 pick on defense, on a QB, etc. seems like a mistake to me. I think they should use the pick to draft the player they believe will help them most in the long run or use it get more picks.
majorm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by majorm »

Mothman wrote:

Sure, it's not that unusual. In fact, if I remember correctly, there wasn't a consensus about it last year. Unless there is a clear-cut #1 QB and a team at the top of the draft that needs one, there tends to be at least a little uncertainty regarding who will be picked first.
I think they should just keep all options on the table and make whatever choice they feel is best for them. Going into the draft determined to to use a top 10 pick on defense, on a QB, etc. seems like a mistake to me. I think they should use the pick to draft the player they believe will help them most in the long run or use it get more picks.
Well, you could be right in some past years, but last year - living in KC I heard it everyday - everybody knew the Chiefs were taking either Eric Fisher or Luke Joeckel. And with the draft just a couple of weeks away it was pretty certain they were taking Fisher. Nobody was surprised.

This year, nobody seems to have a clue what the Texans will do and many feel the rest of the first round can go in dramatically different directions depending on how Houston starts things off. Some "experts" seem to think three QBs could go before the Vikings pick and I've heard some say all the QBs will be there at the 8th selection. There's usually a better handle on things than this by now.

And I agree with your second point. It's basically best player available. I'll just say again, I don't think ANY of these QBs will be the BPA when the 8th pick comes up. The Vikings may feel differently. We'll see.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

majorm wrote:, you could be right in some past years, but last year - living in KC I heard it everyday - everybody knew the Chiefs were taking either Eric Fisher or Luke Joeckel. And with the draft just a couple of weeks away it was pretty certain they were taking Fisher. Nobody was surprised.
I realize that but we're still a couple of weeks away from the beginning of this draft so a clear frontrunner may emerge before then. It's probably Clowney. However, this same thing happened the last the Texans held the #1 pick (and picked Mario williams over Reggie Bush) so maybe they will keep us in suspense.
This year, nobody seems to have a clue what the Texans will do and many feel the rest of the first round can go in dramatically different directions depending on how Houston starts things off. Some "experts" seem to think three QBs could go before the Vikings pick and I've heard some say all the QBs will be there when the Vikings pick. There's usually a better handle on things than this by now.
That's true. The combination of uncertainty about the QBs and a bunch of QB-needy teams crowded into the top 10 is mucking things up. It's fun!
And I agree with your second point. It's basically best player available. I'll just say again, I don't think ANY of these QBs will be the BPA when the 8th pick comes up. The Vikings may feel differently. We'll see.
It's going to be interesting.

Jim
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I think Lewan is going to be the difference. If 3 OTs go before the Vikings pick (several mocks show this as a possibility) then the Vikings are sitting pretty nice.