Teddy

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Teddy

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Im not sure if this deserves a thread of its own, but it does to me, so I made one. Feel free to move it if need be.

Why have people jumped off the Teddy bandwagon and now like BPA? Simply because they don't trust Rickie? Because its an easy way out of a #8 pick? We aernt going to get anywhere with no balls. His pro day sucked. Ok. Watch some of his games when hes pressured. He has accuracy. He doesn't have Zach's arm, but no one else does, not even Bortles.

Basically I am really hoping Rickie is still blow smoke up peoples arse and has Teddy in mind at 8. So many fans were mad when we won games because we were getting knocked out of Teddy (or JFB) range. Now people are so fickle, because of ESPN experts, that they don't want a shot at a franchise QB? Teddy comes ready to play. Im sure he will sit back for a while and learn the system from Cassel, but no ACL to heal (don't get me wrong, I LOVE METT) but Teddy could be it. Bulk up, and we could have a real QB here.
Slick Rick
Transition Player

Re: Teddy

Post by Slick Rick »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:Im not sure if this deserves a thread of its own, but it does to me, so I made one. Feel free to move it if need be.

Why have people jumped off the Teddy bandwagon and now like BPA? Simply because they don't trust Rickie? Because its an easy way out of a #8 pick? We aernt going to get anywhere with no balls. His pro day sucked. Ok. Watch some of his games when hes pressured. He has accuracy. He doesn't have Zach's arm, but no one else does, not even Bortles.

Basically I am really hoping Rickie is still blow smoke up peoples arse and has Teddy in mind at 8. So many fans were mad when we won games because we were getting knocked out of Teddy (or JFB) range. Now people are so fickle, because of ESPN experts, that they don't want a shot at a franchise QB? Teddy comes ready to play. Im sure he will sit back for a while and learn the system from Cassel, but no ACL to heal (don't get me wrong, I LOVE METT) but Teddy could be it. Bulk up, and we could have a real QB here.
I really hope he isn't looking at the 1st round QB much at all with the #8. We still need another corner, we still need a couple of LBs who can compete to start, and we still IMO need 1 good safety. I think we need all of those things more than QB.

With that said, I would be surprised if we waited until after the first day to select our QB of the future.
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

A First round QB draft pick is a QB for NOW. 2nd and 3rd QBs are QBs of the future. Ponder would not have been drafted by any other team in the first and most likely the 2nd Round. That was our mistake. Question now is Manziel, bridgewater , of Bortales QBs Now or will they fail/ bust if drafted and asked to play right away? I'm not sold on any of them as QBs like Andrew Luck and RG3 that are ready to roll right away. Too big a risk in my opinion even though they were good College QBs, they were not DOMINATE College QBs. Draft LB, CB , Oline or WR in the first, QB in the 2nd
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: He doesn't have Zach's arm, but no one else does, not even Bortles.
I think this thread will create a lot of good discussion. As for the point above, the only other one that has Mettenberger's arm would be Carr. Carr has a monster arm for his size.

As for QBs in this draft.....I think GM's are starting to realize that you don't need to spend your 1st round pick (especially an early one) on a QB in order to win a Super Bowl. Even more so when there is nobody out there like Andrew Luck. Teams have seen what reaching for 1st round QB can do for a team. We were one of those victims unfortunately. One reason I am so excited to have Zimmer as a coach is because he knows how to build a defense and ultimately, that is what's going to win you a championship.

I mean look at the QBs for the last 2 SB winners....Joe Flacco and Russell Wilson. Neither of them, by any means, are STUD QB's. Why did they win? A legitimate defense and having a reasonable enough offense to compliment their defense. If Zimmer and Rick can build this defense like Baltimore's or Seattle's, guys like Zach Mettenberger, Derek Carr, Aaron Murray, AJ McCarron, etc could win a SB with this team.

I think we have more offensive weapons than Seattle and Baltimore both. Better RB, better WR's, better TE, and just as good of an o-line. A good but not great QB could definitely win a SB here as long as we can build this defense. That's another reason why i think it's so important to wait on a QB in the 1st and take the best LB/CB available.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Laserman wrote:A First round QB draft pick is a QB for NOW. 2nd and 3rd QBs are QBs of the future. Ponder would not have been drafted by any other team in the first and most likely the 2nd Round. That was our mistake. Question now is Manziel, bridgewater , of Bortales QBs Now or will they fail/ bust if drafted and asked to play right away? I'm not sold on any of them as QBs like Andrew Luck and RG3 that are ready to roll right away. Too big a risk in my opinion even though they were good College QBs, they were not DOMINATE College QBs. Draft LB, CB , Oline or WR in the first, QB in the 2nd
No need to draft a WR in the 1st. We have a solid group of 4 and maybe find a late round sleeper. Remember, Rudolph will almost be equivalent to a WR under Norv Turner.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
headless_norseman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by headless_norseman »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Why have people jumped off the Teddy bandwagon and now like BPA? Simply because they don't trust Rickie? Because its an easy way out of a #8 pick? We aernt going to get anywhere with no balls. His pro day sucked. Ok.

That there is a red flag. I also think Norv isn't even looking at him. I think the main 3 on their board are Bortles, Carr and Mettenberger.
A successful coach needs a patient wife, loyal dog, and great quarterback - and not necessarily in that order.

-- Bud Grant
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: No need to draft a WR in the 1st. We have a solid group of 4 and maybe find a late round sleeper. Remember, Rudolph will almost be equivalent to a WR under Norv Turner.
To play devil's advocate...Rudolph is a free agent after this season and Jennings will be 32 by the time next season rolls around. So while 2014 may not look so bad, we could be staring at another 2012 receiving "corps" type of situation in 2015, which isn't particularly helpful with a likely young QB at the helm.

If Watkins is there, you have to look long and hard at him. Evans too. I wouldn't be upset if the Vikings spend a pick in the first four rounds on a deep WR class.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote:If QBs do start to free fall, don't surprised if Ricky takes BPA at #8 and then jumps back into the end of the first for Teddy, Carr, whoever. We've seen him do it twice before to get the player he wants.
Don't forget that the Browns have the 26th pick in addition to the 4th. Speculation is that they could pass on a QB at 4 and then take Derick Carr at 26. If the Browns and Vikings both pass and the big three are off the board, then the Vikings may have to leap frog the Browns by trading back in at #25 or higher to get who they want. And that could be expensive.

Other teams at the bottom of the draft could be looking at QBs this year as well. The Patriots, Saints and Broncos, all with aging QBs, are all said to be looking at the position in this draft. These teams could all scare the Vikings into moving up from their #40 or #72 spot to bypass the chances of them stealing a QB that they covet.
Dirtyswabby
Starter

Post by Dirtyswabby »

Honestly I can't remember this exciting of a draft, nobody has any freaking clue how this is going to play out. I honestly believe that teddy will be gone before we pick. And I think the Vikings would be freaking morons not to take Teddy, or Johnny if they fell to 8. I think Houston will shock by taking Mack number 1 overall, and I don't think teddy will fall past the raiders.

Game Tape Doesn't lie, Teddy was and still is the best QB Prospect in the draft. Pro Days are great for getting more feels of players. Johnny Knocked his out of the Park, but he also has a ton of Game Tape that proves his abilities.

Either way if either Johnny or Teddy fall to us, I highly doubt we will pass on either. Mack is the only player I would take over those 2 at 8.
Representing the Vikings In Raleigh, NC
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Dirtyswabby wrote:Honestly I can't remember this exciting of a draft, nobody has any freaking clue how this is going to play out. I honestly believe that teddy will be gone before we pick. And I think the Vikings would be freaking morons not to take Teddy, or Johnny if they fell to 8. I think Houston will shock by taking Mack number 1 overall, and I don't think teddy will fall past the raiders.

Game Tape Doesn't lie, Teddy was and still is the best QB Prospect in the draft. Pro Days are great for getting more feels of players. Johnny Knocked his out of the Park, but he also has a ton of Game Tape that proves his abilities.

Either way if either Johnny or Teddy fall to us, I highly doubt we will pass on either. Mack is the only player I would take over those 2 at 8.
Does that mean that if Clowney fell to 8 you would not take him :wink:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

IMO the real key on the #8 pick is taking the best NFL talent available, even if it isn't a position of need.

For the QBs, my question is how do they compare to other NFL QBs in terms of prospective talent. Just because these guys are the best available in THIS draft, doesn't really tell us much about how the stack up vs. the guys in the league they are going into. The fact that none of htem are a Luck type prospect tells us that them falling in the draft pecking order might be the right thing to have happen.

However, with QBs there is no sure thing ever. Nobody knows which of the QBs taken in the draft, whether it is Teddy or Joe 7th round nobody, is going to be the next NFL big thing.

For me, I want to see the Vikings get guys that improve the roster.

I agree on the Watkins take. If he is there I think you look long and hard at him.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Dirtyswabby
Starter

Post by Dirtyswabby »

Purple bruise wrote: Does that mean that if Clowney fell to 8 you would not take him :wink:

I mentioned Game tape previously. Look at the Gamecocks schedule from last year and tell me why you think he should have had only 3 sacks all year? Does anything he did last year give you the idea of taking him in the Top 10? I believe that Clowney is the product of hype. Once again my personal opinion.
Representing the Vikings In Raleigh, NC
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

mansquatch wrote:IMO the real key on the #8 pick is taking the best NFL talent available, even if it isn't a position of need.
That's always the easy advice, but would the Vikings really take one of the offensive tackles if one of them were available at #8 and rated higher on their board than another available player like Watkins or Mack? A team's selection is almost always tempered by their needs.
Pepper2Moss
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Pepper2Moss »

Teddy's had a good collegiate career, proven winner, won both his bowl games, & yes, had a bad pro day. I know he may need some work as his ball doesn't necessarily look the prettiest coming out, but I feel when all is said & done, he'll be the too QB from this draft class & I'd be ecstatic if the Vikings got him at 8.
Anderson22
Rookie

Post by Anderson22 »

I called it when I said tavarious Jackson was picked, bust and I will say it again, teddy will not be much better. MArk my words. I would take teddy in the 8th round that's it;)