AD all time leading rusher?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Eli
Hall of Famer

Re: AD all time leading rusher?

Post by Eli »

Slick Rick wrote:What's your point?
:wallbang:

It's not a given, even if some of you people think that Peterson can walk on water and change water into wine. Actually, it's a long shot. Peterson is a talented running back, but there's no real evidence at this point that he'll have the type of longevity that we've seen from only a tiny handful of running backs in the history of the NFL.

What odds would you give of Peterson breaking Emmitt Smith's record?

And, say a year from now, what would it take to alter those odds in your mind? A catastrophic injury? Or how about just another 'mediocre' 1200 yard season? Once he has a few successive 1200 yard seasons, it should be obvious that unless he plays until he's 40, it ain't going to happen.
majorm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by majorm »

The bottom is it's going to take him continuing to be as productive as he's been for five to six more seasons and NOT get hurt. That is very possible but highly unlikely I think.

Emmitt Smith was a great back but benefitted greatly from the best offensive line in history. How many times did he break into the secondary without getting touched at the line? He had such huge holes to run through, he avoided a lot of contact for a lot of his career. He also ran much lower than Adrian. I don't remember him taking many hits to his legs. He seemed to nearly always hit guys with his shoulders.

While it is awesome to watch Adrian punish defenders, the blows he delivers also take a toll on him. It may end up being a toll that contributes to him falling short of the all-time mark.
Slick Rick
Transition Player

Post by Slick Rick »

Eli wrote: :wallbang:

It's not a given, even if some of you people think that Peterson can walk on water and change water into wine. Actually, it's a long shot. Peterson is a talented running back, but there's no real evidence at this point that he'll have that type of longevity that we've seen from only a tiny handful of running backs in the history of the NFL.
Well if he's Jesus, he's definitely breaking the record, pal.

You're the one who's establishing these parameters about his longevity dude. No one here was trying to talk about his longevity until you came up with this weird figure of 6 years and 1,400 yards. I understand that you're trying to be objective, and you are to some extent. You're not being objective with the data you're presenting though. It severely limits the criteria of what you're allowing yourself to think dude. It's just not that black and white. He could play for 10 more years like Emmitt, and there's nothing to suggest he won't at this point. They've both been durable at this point of their careers, with the exception being that Emmitt really didn't miss games, while AP has missed very few.

If anything, football players are coddled more than they have ever been, and AP has missed probably a lot of his games because coaches or the FO didn't want him to aggravate his injuries. I mean, you can think of it from a number of different perspectives man. There's tons of ways of looking at it. Some ways more optimistic than others.
I think he can definitely break the record. I'm not saying that it won't be difficult, or anything like that. There's a lot of adapting a player has to make when he hits that first wall when he loses some of is natural ability. This goes for every athlete. Michael Jordan came out of retirement and he wasn't as good because he couldn't always just overpower his opponents. He learned how to shoot better and had some of the best years of his career after that. MJ was a great athlete. AP is a great athlete. It isn't just physical, it's mental. He has it. You have to watch and analyze the way he plays to know it.

Either way, it's just a fact of all sports: the all-time greats usually last the longest. AP is that kind of a player.
Say a year from now, what would it take to alter those odds in your mind? A catastrophic injury? Or how about just another mediocre 1200 yard season? Once he has a few successive 1200 yard season, it should be obvious to just about anyone that unless he plays until he's 40, it aint going to happen.
See, now you're assuming that he's going to have 1,200 yard years. Come on man. Let's say he does, that means what? 200 yards off from what he's supposed to get for 6 years? What if he has 1,200 yards for each other those next 6 years? He would have to get 1,200 yards one more time dude. Or 600 yards 2 more times. It's just not even close to out of the question.

What if he reaches 2,500 yards this year? Kind of takes the load off of those 1,400 yard seasons he would have to accumulate to get the record, wouldn't it?
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Slick Rick wrote: I think he can definitely break the record.
BFD. Yeah, he can break the record, and he could also become a brain surgeon when he retires. Give some odds, "Dude".
Either way, it's just a fact of all sports: the all-time greats usually last the longest. AP is that kind of a player.
No, they became all-time greats _because_ they lasted the longest, not the other way around.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

My recollection of Emmitt Smith is that he was phenomenal at avoiding the big hit. It seemed like very few defenders got a solid shot on him. That lends itself to longevity.

Adrian, by contrast, seeks out contact. He punishes people, without a doubt, but that also takes a toll on his body.

Smith also had a terrific offensive line and a HOF QB-receiver combo in Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin for most of his career. AP has had that kind of support for MAYBE one season -- in 2009 -- and it's not a stretch to say the 90s Dallas O-lines were vastly superior to the Vikes' '09 O-line.

Of course, Adrian could simply be a superhuman freak of nature who can dish out and take brutal punishment for 15 or 16 years. After his recovery from the knee injury, I would never put anything past this man. But I have my doubts as to whether he can be at the top of the league long enough to break Emmitt's record. At some point, it the odometer is going to roll over.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Slick Rick
Transition Player

Post by Slick Rick »

Eli wrote:Yeah, he can break the record
Enough said, dude.
No, they became all-time greats _because_ they lasted the longest, not the other way around.
So are you saying that you're an all-time great because you play longer, or do you think it's more likely that great players play a long time? I know what I'm putting my money on, considering there have been several examples of mid-level talent that play longer than some great players. Legends are usually high on the list in every sport for games played, though. It's just a fact.
Slick Rick
Transition Player

Post by Slick Rick »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:My recollection of Emmitt Smith is that he was phenomenal at avoiding the big hit. It seemed like very few defenders got a solid shot on him. That lends itself to longevity.

Adrian, by contrast, seeks out contact. He punishes people, without a doubt, but that also takes a toll on his body.

Smith also had a terrific offensive line and a HOF QB-receiver combo in Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin for most of his career. AP has had that kind of support for MAYBE one season -- in 2009 -- and it's not a stretch to say the 90s Dallas O-lines were vastly superior to the Vikes' '09 O-line.

Of course, Adrian could simply be a superhuman freak of nature who can dish out and take brutal punishment for 15 or 16 years. After his recovery from the knee injury, I would never put anything past this man. But I have my doubts as to whether he can be at the top of the league long enough to break Emmitt's record. At some point, it the odometer is going to roll over.
A few things that I think are worth noting:

1. AP has a unique body type for RBs. Most of them are more compact, 5'11 190-200 lb guys. Some of your power backs are 220-240 lbs. AP is 6'2 220, and I think that allows him to take more punishment than Emmitt ever could.

2. There aren't as many big, punishing hits as there were 10, 15, 20+ years ago. The rules have changed so much to protect the athletes, and this could also benefit Peterson a lot.

3. Peterson tends to get low before contact, and avoids a lot of potential helmet-to-helmet collisions. Not to say that he couldn't potentially wear his back out with the way that he runs.

Honestly, I don't know if he'll break the record. It's a long ways off, and he might only have 3-4 more years left. I think he's the kind of guy who would want to retire on top of his game. He might not break the record, but neither did Michael Jordan (for scoring, although he did for PPG). I think if he reaches his goal of 2,500 yards and wins a couple of Super Bowls, he'll be satisfied.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Eli wrote:
Miniscule. Honestly, probably less than 1% chance AD breaks Smith's record for the simple reason that AD won't be able to stay healthy long enough to do it. Smith was a very smart runner who mostly avoided the type of big hits that AD is famous for taking. AD has been a bull, but he's still human and I think the big hits are already starting to take their toll. To have any shot at even winding up in the top 5 for his career, I think he will have to change his style going forward, which I don't see happening.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Vikings: Jim Brown says Adrian Peterson could break NFL rushing record
Jim Brown knows all about being the NFL rushing king. Nobody has held the career rushing title longer than Brown, who had it from 1963-84.

Emmitt Smith is the current rushing leader, having set the mark in 2002. But Brown said Vikings star Adrian Peterson could top it one day.

"If he wants that and he dedicates himself and he has good fortune, that's a great possibility," Brown said in a phone interview with the Pioneer Press from his Los Angeles home.

"I think if he sets his goals and he understands his circumstances and he knows what it takes, that he can be successful. I'm not saying that he will break the record, I'm just saying it's a possibility."
More at the link.
allday2097
Waterboy

Post by allday2097 »

He probably needs 5000 yards over the next three seasons to have a realistic chance. That is asking a lot in todays NFL. But obviously AD is a special, every 20 year type of athlete and if he sets his mind to it he might be able get there.
Slick Rick
Transition Player

Post by Slick Rick »

That's about the extent of what I think. I think he'd be smart to go out on top whether he has the record or not, though.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Slick Rick wrote: That's about the extent of what I think. I think he'd be smart to go out on top whether he has the record or not, though.
I think it's exactly what everyone has been saying in this thread. It's a possibility. If anyone can do it, it would be Peterson, but it's going to take a lot of work and a significant amount of luck.

As for "going out on top", define "top". Does it mean after he's achieved this record? Does it mean winning a Super Bowl? Does it mean still having 1000 yard seasons? Looking ahead - I don't know if will be in two seasons or in another seven or eight - it will be interesting to see what Peterson does after he's had a significant down year. Will he resolve to come back the next year, work harder and tack on another good year to his career? Or will he say "enough" and not want to go out like so many players before him who hung on for too long?
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

AD 2500 this year

you heard it here first

best RB to ever play the game
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Vikings win the next 3 SB's. Bank it.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

A couple of things. While Peterson is 6-2 217, Smith was 5-9 221 pounds. So Smith was not small back in size. A comparison of the two backs stats at this point is in orders

Smith 108 games 21.6 attempts per game 94 yards per game. 2334 attempts 10,160 yards total.
Peterson 103 games 19.7 attempts per game 98.2 yards per game. 2033 attempts 10,115 yards total.

If you look at it one way, Peterson is actually ahead of Smith at this point because he is only 45 yards back on 300 less carries, and 5 less games.

The only thing that will matter in the long run is how long he plays the game. If he stays healthy, he stays playing.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966