Griffen the next John Randle !!

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

jackal
Strong Safety

Griffen the next John Randle !!

Post by jackal »

I have enjoyed watching Griffen a lot since he joined the Vikings ...

I just realized why !! watch his highlights and the way he moves and then watch John Randle's highlights.

IMO they have a lot of the same talent and skill set..

Griffen Highlights

http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/vide ... 0d1788f9c0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2IynSifboY

Randle Highlights

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sICzQckt4Og

no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Griffen the next John Randle !!

Post by Purple bruise »

jackal wrote:I have enjoyed watching Griffen a lot since he joined the Vikings ...

I just realized why !! watch his highlights and the way he moves and then watch John Randle's highlights.

Griffen Highlights

Randle Highlights

Griffen has Pro Bowl potential and the void that Allen left should/will be quickly filled. Check out these combine stats:
Measurables
40 Yard Dash: 4.65 seconds
20 Yard Dash: 2.68 seconds
10 Yard Dash: 1.63 seconds
Bench Press: 32 reps (225 lb)
He has been officially time at 4.5 in the forty on another ocassion.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Griffen has Pro Bowl potential and the void that Allen left should/will be quickly filled. Check out these combine stats:
Measurables
I loved Allen but he was very selfish with his playing time on the field and IMO it hurt both
him and the Vikings .. Griffen and the Vikings defense would have benefited with more subs
it was obvious to me Allen was gassed and ineffective at times during games last two seasons
Slick Rick
Transition Player

Post by Slick Rick »

jackal wrote:I have enjoyed watching Griffen a lot since he joined the Vikings ...

Griffen Highlights

Randle Highlights

It's his aggression. He has one thing on his mind, and it's to chase down and destroy the guy who has the football. Favre said Randle was the hardest defensive player he ever had to prepare for, and it was just because he came after the backfield with everything he had on every down. At his best, Griffen definitely plays like that. At times, he looks impossible to block. I remember Dalton was killing us all day last year. We couldn't get pressure to save our lives, and then Griffen came in and dropped him on two straight plays. That's the way he is, he just has that "it" factor, but he has to bring "it" on every play.

One thing I'll say for sure, he might be as tenacious as Randle, but he is so much more gifted athletically than Randle ever was. I think Randle ran like a 4.7 or a 4.8. Griffen is so fast and so strong, I think the sky's the limit for him. He has the talent to be one of the best ever on top of just simply having "it".
Purple bruise wrote:Griffen has Pro Bowl potential and the void that Allen left should/will be quickly filled. Check out these combine stats:
Measurables
I've seen figures for Griffen's 40 as low as 4.46, which is absolute insanity for a 270 lb man. I think the fastest Clowney's ran so far is 4.47 unofficially. Regardless, it should put into perspective just how high his ceiling is. There's no reason why he can't be better than Allen.
Last edited by Slick Rick on Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

jackal wrote: I loved Allen but he was very selfish with his playing time on the field and IMO it hurt both
him and the Vikings .. Griffen and the Vikings defense would have benefited with more subs
it was obvious to me Allen was gassed and ineffective at times during games last two seasons
I agree and think that the Bears will be sorry that they let Peppers leave. Pretty much trading one for he other.

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
3Deep
Practice Squad

Post by 3Deep »

Love Griffen, but his celebration dance.... :wallbang:
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

I'll be the wet blanket and say I think comparisons to Randle or Allen are very premature. Griffen's a tremendous athlete and I have high hopes for him as faull-time starter but in Allen and Randle, we're talking about two all-time great pass rushers from their respective positions. Griffen hasn't even shown that he can be effective as a full-time starter yet, much less that he's in that class. He definitely has tremendous potential. It will be great news for the Vikings if he realizes it and actually starts to approach the Hall of Fame-worthy level of play Randle gave the team.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Mothman wrote,
I'll be the wet blanket and say I think comparisons to Randle or Allen are very premature. Griffen's a tremendous athlete and I have high hopes for him as faull-time starter but in Allen and Randle, we're talking about two all-time great pass rushers from their respective positions. Griffen hasn't even shown that he can be effective as a full-time starter yet, much less that he's in that class. He definitely has tremendous potential. It will be great news for the Vikings if he realizes it and actually starts to approach the Hall of Fame-worthy level of play Randle gave the team.
Thats fair, Randle was a very short powerful DT and Everson Griffen is a bigger freakish talented player. I think Griffen was slated to go way higher
in the draft than he actually did, but slid due to off the field issues.
Slick Rick
Transition Player

Post by Slick Rick »

Mothman wrote:I'll be the wet blanket and say I think comparisons to Randle or Allen are very premature. Griffen's a tremendous athlete and I have high hopes for him as faull-time starter but in Allen and Randle, we're talking about two all-time great pass rushers from their respective positions. Griffen hasn't even shown that he can be effective as a full-time starter yet, much less that he's in that class. He definitely has tremendous potential. It will be great news for the Vikings if he realizes it and actually starts to approach the Hall of Fame-worthy level of play Randle gave the team.
I don't know about all that stuff about not proving he can be an effective full-time starter. I don't know what suggest he can't unless he for some reason will only be effective in doses, or if he doesn't have the stamina.

The Vikings were at least confident enough to get rid of Allen, and not only keep Griffen around, but invest 9M/yr for 5 years on him. That's a LOT of money, and I can guarantee you that they've seen enough that makes them believe that he's going to at least be better than Allen was last year. I also think that it says that Zimmer thinks a lot out of him, and to me that's the most important thing.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Slick Rick wrote:I don't know about all that stuff about not proving he can be an effective full-time starter. I don't know what suggest he can't unless he for some reason will only be effective in doses, or if he doesn't have the stamina.
Which are both possibilities... he's also spent the majority of his career thus far rushing from the right side of the line, not the left, which is where the league's best pass protecting tackles tend to play. Will that have any impact on his effectiveness?

Just to be clear: nobody is suggesting Griffen can't excel as a full-time starter. His impact in that role is simply an unknown at this point. He might prove to be a fantastic starter. He just hasn't done it yet.

Randle is a Hall of Fame lineman and Allen may end up in the Hall too. He has been one of the most productive pass rushers of his generation. The two players are ranked #7 (Randle) and #12 on the list of "all-time" sack leaders (I used the quotes because the league didn't start keeping track of the stat until '82). One more double-digit sack season would vault Allen past Randle into the #7 spot. If Griffen is going to put himself in the conversation with those two players, he has a LOT of work ahead of him.

I'm not trying to be down on the guy at all. I'm hoping he'll be the next great Vikings DE.
Slick Rick
Transition Player

Post by Slick Rick »

Mothman wrote: Which are both possibilities... he's also spent the majority of his career thus far rushing from the right side of the line, not the left, which is where the league's best pass protecting tackles tend to play. Will that have any impact on his effectiveness?

Just to be clear: nobody is suggesting Griffen can't excel as a full-time starter. His impact in that role is simply an unknown at this point. He might prove to be a fantastic starter. He just hasn't done it yet.

Randle is a Hall of Fame lineman and Allen may end up in the Hall too. He has been one of the most productive pass rushers of his generation. The two players are ranked #7 (Randle) and #12 on the list of "all-time" sack leaders (I used the quotes because the league didn't start keeping track of the stat until '82). One more double-digit sack season would vault Allen past Randle into the #7 spot. If Griffen is going to put himself in the conversation with those two players, he has a LOT of work ahead of him.

I'm not trying to be down on the guy at all. I'm hoping he'll be the next great Vikings DE.
Right, and that's why I said that you aren't wrong. It's not because he can't do it, I know you know that, and everyone does. I'm just saying that it's mostly just because we're talking about the best pass-rushing defensive tackle in the history of the game. John Randle will go down as a legendary player, Griffen is Everson Griffen.

100% agree with you that his work is way cut out. I agree that it's a "we'll see", but Griffen looks the part, and apparently I'm not the only one who thinks so. I predicted him to lead the NFL in sacks this year, so we'll see. I have a lot of faith in him to excel in this defense.
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

Mothman wrote:I'll be the wet blanket and say I think comparisons to Randle or Allen are very premature. Griffen's a tremendous athlete and I have high hopes for him as faull-time starter but in Allen and Randle, we're talking about two all-time great pass rushers from their respective positions. Griffen hasn't even shown that he can be effective as a full-time starter yet, much less that he's in that class. He definitely has tremendous potential. It will be great news for the Vikings if he realizes it and actually starts to approach the Hall of Fame-worthy level of play Randle gave the team.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Lofty goals for sure. When Griff picks up a 350lb lineman under his armpits and throws him in the backfield, sacks the QB, and wins the game for the Vikings, then only then, will I give him this kind of consideration.
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

CbusVikesFan wrote: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Lofty goals for sure. When Griff picks up a 350lb lineman under his armpits and throws him in the backfield, sacks the QB, and wins the game for the Vikings, then only then, will I give him this kind of consideration.
Should be close to what you are wanting to see he has already done. Watch this video highlight at the 52 second mark and watch him "blowup" the offensive lineman grab the QB, sack him and win the game in the closing moments :rock:

PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

I like Griffen too but before people get too excited, maybe wait to see him start and play 1 entire game first. We always saw him 100% fresh, and rarely double teamed.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

right now I will suck the purple kool aid and enjoy it ... its a long off :v): season