Vikings go old school weight program/ new tech meeting room

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

jackal
Strong Safety

Vikings go old school weight program/ new tech meeting room

Post by jackal »

http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/vide ... d1c742fc25

Free weights with a good working knowledge give a player natural balance in muscle and natural movement..

I like the meeting room with I pads for players to study game film ...
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Vikings go old school weight program/ new tech meeting r

Post by Purple bruise »

jackal wrote:http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/vide ... d1c742fc25

Free weights with a good working knowledge give a player natural balance in muscle and natural movement..

I like the meeting room with I pads for players to study game film ...
I really like the direction that Zimmer is leading this team to. Thanks for the link.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I really like the direction that Zimmer is leading this team to. Thanks for the link.

Zimmer is exactly what the vikings needed to leadership with ability to be honest about the team and the direction we are going..
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Cue up an Eli bubble-bursting comment…. in 3, 2, 1….
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Cue up an Eli bubble-bursting comment…. in 3, 2, 1….
lets be fair now; it could be Demi ... :rofl:
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

I'm obviously not Eli and I don't know if this qualifies as a bubble-bursting comment or not but to me, it's hard to tell what direction Zimmer is taking the Vikes at this point. I assume Norv Turner will run his system and Zimmer will run his and hopefully, they'll be effective but aside from that, I don't see much of a direction yet, at least not one that I wouldn't have expected under any coach. Thus far, the offseason has been all about addressing obvious issues. I think we were going to see the kind of personnel moves we've seen on defense no matter what and Spielman seemed to want Cassel back so perhaps that was inevitable too. We'll probably see a QB drafted in the first or second round and an overall emphasis on defense in the draft and again, considering the nature of the team last year, all of that seems inevitable. I'm optimistic about what Zimmer will be able to do with the Vikes over the next few seasons but personally, I feel like it's going to take some actual game play before we really start to see Zimmer's stamp on the team. YMMV.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Mothman wrote:I'm obviously not Eli and I don't know if this qualifies as a bubble-bursting comment or not but to me, it's hard to tell what direction Zimmer is taking the Vikes at this point. I assume Norv Turner will run his system and Zimmer will run his and hopefully, they'll be effective but aside from that, I don't see much of a direction yet, at least not one that I wouldn't have expected under any coach. Thus far, the offseason has been all about addressing obvious issues. I think we were going to see the kind of personnel moves we've seen on defense no matter what and Spielman seemed to want Cassel back so perhaps that was inevitable too. We'll probably see a QB drafted in the first or second round and an overall emphasis on defense in the draft and again, considering the nature of the team last year, all of that seems inevitable. I'm optimistic about what Zimmer will be able to do with the Vikes over the next few seasons but personally, I feel like it's going to take some actual game play before we really start to see Zimmer's stamp on the team. YMMV.
Good take. BTW, my comment was not meant to be critical of Eli. I think it's a mistake to read every minor change as an indication of a massive sea change and a gigantic step in the right direction--a stepping stone to the Lombardi. Given the other thread that went this same way and Eli driving that, the idea occurred to me, but again, I have to say that I agree with Eli on this point. Optimism is great, but there's no reason to go overboard with our praise of these changes or supposedly refreshing and revolutionary moves… not until we see results on the field. It's also just too simplistic to think of everything Frazier did as out of step or incompetent.

I am optimistic about Zimmer though. I really look forward to seeing the games next fall.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote: Good take.

Thanks. I like your take below as well.
BTW, my comment was not meant to be critical of Eli. I think it's a mistake to read every minor change as an indication of a massive sea change and a gigantic step in the right direction--a stepping stone to the Lombardi. Given the other thread that went this same way and Eli driving that, the idea occurred to me, but again, I have to say that I agree with Eli on this point. Optimism is great, but there's no reason to go overboard with our praise of these changes or supposedly refreshing and revolutionary moves… not until we see results on the field. It's also just too simplistic to think of everything Frazier did as out of step or incompetent.
I remain unconvinced that he did much wrong last year beyond starting the weird Freeman MNF game (I'd love to have a private one-on-one discussion with Frazier about whatever was going on there) and just playing the hand he was dealt. I understand the arguments to the contrary. I just don't find them convincing.
I am optimistic about Zimmer though. I really look forward to seeing the games next fall.
I'm optimistic too. I really like his demeanor so far and I'm hoping he can wring the kind of season out of the roster that Frazier did in 2012, if not a better season. That might be a tall order for a new coaching staff and a team in transition but if nothing else, it would be nice to see improvement and a tendency to win the close games instead of losing them, as the Vikes did too often last year.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

"Old school weight program" scares me a bit when talking about NFL players, if they follow the "70's big" mentality of just trying to get big and bulky and strong. The core body building lifts used in "old school" training like the bench press, squats, deadlifts, etc are great for targeting specific muscle groups but football is a full body contact sport. Often what happens is the "sexy" muscles that stand out like the pecs, etc get so overdeveloped while the minor muscle groups are often ignored entirely.

That's fine if you're a bodybuilder just going to stand in front of some judges and flex about, but for a football player we're talking about a higher chance of injury when those underdeveloped minor muscle groups fail to support the big overdeveloped core muscles "old school lifts" target. Football puts much more stress on the body to cut, turn, accelerate, explode than just sitting under a bench and pounding out 5-7 reps for a big chest.

Football players also need more than bulky strength, they need to be agile, quick, and explosive. You don't typically get that from the old school mentality of free weight weight lifting. Now, with that said, there's a good chance they know that and will balance it out to "fix" the problems of pure old school weight lifting. I just prefer a full body workout program with explosiveness as the primary goal as opposed to overall bulk and size.

For a good example of the differences, I like to use Arnold and Bruce Lee. Arnold is a pure body builder, not saying he isn't super strong because he obviously is but with that strength and overdeveloped major muscle groups, you lose some functionality. Bruce Lee on the other hand was a top of the line fighter / martial artist. He needs functional strength to win his fights. Full body training and especially with the minor muscle groups and NOT over developing the major muscles allows him to be explosive and he's famous for his "1 inch punch" which is only POSSIBLE because of that. IMO Football players should train for Bruce Lee's body, not Arnolds but we'll see how it goes.

If we have a significant amount of injuries this year, it may just be bad luck, but it may be this old school weight program.

Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Those "old school" lifts you named aren't the muscle specific ones like curls or flys. There are a lot of muscles that come into play when you bench, in the arms, shoulders, back. Same with the dead lift and squat. It's the bicep curls and leg extensions that can cause imbalances and lead to more injuries. There's also more to it than just the weight program. Nutrition etc. They have some of the best trainers and nutritionists on the planet. They'll be fine. Whether or not they use old school or new.

If I was him I'd be more worried about how strange it's going to be playing at TCF! I mean, we might not win a game if we don't unravel that puzzle! :confused:
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Is that really what the Vikings use for a team meeting room? A curtained off corner of the indoor practice field. They have nothing more permanent at the Winter Park facility?
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Eli wrote:Is that really what the Vikings use for a team meeting room? A curtained off corner of the indoor practice field. They have nothing more permanent at the Winter Park facility?
From what I've read, Zimmer put in this room so it wasn't there before.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

S197 wrote: From what I've read, Zimmer put in this room so it wasn't there before.
The only thing I can figure is that they didn't have anything large enough to accommodate the full 90 man preseason roster plus coaches. I'm surprised that they didn't already have something. 115 people isn't a big room.

During the stadium campaign, Zygi had wanted to create a new headquarters out in the sticks next to his new stadium. Has there been any talk about a new practice facility or upgrades to the current one?
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Eli wrote: The only thing I can figure is that they didn't have anything large enough to accommodate the full 90 man preseason roster plus coaches. I'm surprised that they didn't already have something. 115 people isn't a big room.

During the stadium campaign, Zygi had wanted to create a new headquarters out in the sticks next to his new stadium. Has there been any talk about a new practice facility or upgrades to the current one?
I haven't heard anything but when they did the London special, there was a shot of Frazier talking in a large room that looked like the more traditional theater style rooms so I'm pretty sure they do have a standard meeting room. It could be they just needed something temporary to handle all the extra bodies or maybe a temporary room where they can sit and talk right after practice that's easy to break down.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

fiestavike wrote:
I'm not a weight lifter and I'm not really familiar with the "old school" vs "new School" approach in weight lifting, but based on what I saw, the focus on free weights and explosive motions has more in common with "bruce lee" than "arnold". Weight machines are great for isolating muscles but not as great for overall strength. guys can usually lift more on a machine than with free weights because you only have to move the weight in one direction. Its not going to go North, South, East or West and you don't need to use your muscles to control that. It sounds to me like a much more practical and functional approach to strength building that Vikings are putting into place.
You hit the nail on the head. The body of the article emphasizes this point precisely: they are looking to get the explosive power necessary for football by replacing machines w/ free weights. It's a minor change, and is only a topic because it's the offseason and we're extremely hard up for something to talk about.