Could the Vikings have any interest in Aldon Smith

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Could the Vikings have any interest in Aldon Smith

Post by Purple bruise »

Could Minnesota Vikings take a chance on Aldon Smith?
Fansided | Apr 19
There is a lot of commotion about the future of Aldon Smith in not only San Francisco but in the NFL as a whole. After repeated off-field issues with the latest forcing National Homeland Security to become involved, there are a lot of rumblings about what Smith’s future looks like and not a lot of it is positive.

- See more at: http://www.prosportsdaily.com/articles/ ... GJIMK.dpuf
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
headless_norseman
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Could the Vikings have any interest in Aldon Smith

Post by headless_norseman »

No. :nono:
A successful coach needs a patient wife, loyal dog, and great quarterback - and not necessarily in that order.

-- Bud Grant
Slick Rick
Transition Player

Post by Slick Rick »

No, the guy's an a-hole. I think we're too sensitive to get so upset over him most likely making a sarcastic comment about how he had a bomb in his possession, and most likely made another sarcastic comment about how he was going to blow everybody up. Of course, that's what a-holes do.

I don't know the extent of his attitude problem, but it doesn't look good considering he has been busted for a DUI, having illegal guns, and now this. Absolutely no on him though, we already have DE sewn up for at least a couple more years anyways.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Slick Rick wrote:No, the guy's an a-hole. I think we're too sensitive to get so upset over him most likely making a sarcastic comment about how he had a bomb in his possession, and most likely made another sarcastic comment about how he was going to blow everybody up. Of course, that's what a-holes do.

I don't know the extent of his attitude problem, but it doesn't look good considering he has been busted for a DUI, having illegal guns, and now this. Absolutely no on him though, we already have DE sewn up for at least a couple more years anyways.
Right, I do not want anything to do with him and certainly do not want him on the Vikings. I was just posting an article that I came across.

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

he has three felony weapons charges, DUI and no a false bomb threat report as LAX

Yeah lets sign him right up ...... NOT!!!!
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Perhaps I'm in the minority here but I'd like to know more. I mean we're talking about an elite talent whose stock is at an all-time low. Allen had multiple DUIs but was able to keep it together and change his life. The bomb comment was stupid but it wasn't like he actually had a bomb. As for the assault rifles, was it actual assault rifles (meaning fully automatic) or were they just illegal in California, which has much stricter laws than most of the country.

He won't command a whole lot of money so it may be worthwhile to kick the tires. Anyone who signs him would be wise to make it an incentive laden contract in the event he screws up again.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Nah. He's too good. We prefer the DUIs and spousal abuse to come from mid-level to below average players we can give peanuts and get average production...while only getting an article or two a year out of on the criminal side!
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

You have to wonder about these guys. Its like, they have life going the right way, so they go out of the way to screw it up.
NextQuestion
Career Elite Player

Post by NextQuestion »

Demi wrote:Nah. He's too good. We prefer the DUIs and spousal abuse to come from mid-level to below average players we can give peanuts and get average production...while only getting an article or two a year out of on the criminal side!
hahahaha thank you. I guess Aldon Smith isn't in the family friendly area of Erin Henderson and Chris Cook types. We need to be real: Every troubled player, the rubes have been like "ZIMMER CAN FIX HIM OMG". Aldon Smith is an elite talent that tears it up. He's far better than Clay Matthews and Von Miller. I'd say he'd probably the best OLB/DE in the game right now. He constantly gives fits to the Packers. Did anyone see the opening play of the NFC Championship game vs Seattle? Wasn't fooled on PA Pass, sack, strip, and he recovered it. This was while Wilson was trying to roll out and avoid Smith. Sometimes you need to drop the personal stuff and look at elite talent. 2nd & one of our 3rds for one of the top NFL players? You don't hesitate for long. Get him out of California and bring him to Eden Prairie where there's absolutely no action
Pull yr 84 jerseys out.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

NextQuestion wrote: hahahaha thank you. I guess Aldon Smith isn't in the family friendly area of Erin Henderson and Chris Cook types. We need to be real: Every troubled player, the rubes have been like "ZIMMER CAN FIX HIM OMG". Aldon Smith is an elite talent that tears it up. He's far better than Clay Matthews and Von Miller. I'd say he'd probably the best OLB/DE in the game right now. He constantly gives fits to the Packers. Did anyone see the opening play of the NFC Championship game vs Seattle? Wasn't fooled on PA Pass, sack, strip, and he recovered it. This was while Wilson was trying to roll out and avoid Smith. Sometimes you need to drop the personal stuff and look at elite talent. 2nd & one of our 3rds for one of the top NFL players? You don't hesitate for long. Get him out of California and bring him to Eden Prairie where there's absolutely no action
The long and unfortunate history of Vikings players getting into legal trouble and generating bad headlines strongly suggests that dropping an athlete into Minnesota, "where there's absolutely no action", is far from a solution in itself.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Mothman wrote: The long and unfortunate history of Vikings players getting into legal trouble and generating bad headlines strongly suggests that dropping an athlete into Minnesota, "where there's absolutely no action", is far from a solution in itself.
There doesn't have to BE action for people to make their own. I seem to recall something about a lake and a boat...

A lot would depend on more than what we're privy to. If I'm Rick, I'm certainly investigating and looking into the situation.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
King James
All Pro Elite Player

Post by King James »

I would actually take him because he's good. Unlike most troubled players we signed in the past who are average to mediocre at best. I wish people wouldn't judge these players so much. We don't know what's going with him but I think we have a staff who could talk to him and help him stay out of trouble.

Maybe it's just me. I never been a fan of giving up on troubled people, especially a guy like Aldon Smith who has so much talent. Keeping him focus on football may keep him out of trouble, if he doesn't have football he may get in more trouble. I'd hate to see him go out like that.
NextQuestion
Career Elite Player

Post by NextQuestion »

Brandon Marshall has been viewed as a troubled player for his mental issues, however, Chicago got an absolute steal by trading two 3rd round picks for him back in 2012.
Pull yr 84 jerseys out.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

NextQuestion wrote: hahahaha thank you. I guess Aldon Smith isn't in the family friendly area of Erin Henderson and Chris Cook types. We need to be real: Every troubled player, the rubes have been like "ZIMMER CAN FIX HIM OMG". Aldon Smith is an elite talent that tears it up. He's far better than Clay Matthews and Von Miller. I'd say he'd probably the best OLB/DE in the game right now. He constantly gives fits to the Packers. Did anyone see the opening play of the NFC Championship game vs Seattle? Wasn't fooled on PA Pass, sack, strip, and he recovered it. This was while Wilson was trying to roll out and avoid Smith. Sometimes you need to drop the personal stuff and look at elite talent. 2nd & one of our 3rds for one of the top NFL players? You don't hesitate for long. Get him out of California and bring him to Eden Prairie where there's absolutely no action
You think that he is a better player than Matthews or Miller? I would have to strongly disagree with that and assure you that if I had a choice, setting aside off field issues/arrests, he would easily be my third choice of the three.

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote: By mental issues do you mean beating the hell out of multiple women?
I assume he meant actual mental issues. Marshall has been diagnosed with a mental disorder known as Borderline Personality Disorder.