Dilemma at #8: QB or Mack?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

LB Mack or QB with #8?

LB Khalil Mack
71%
QB (Bridgewater, Bortles, Manziel)
24%
Other
5%

Total votes: 41

HornedMessiah
Hall of Fame Candidate

Dilemma at #8: QB or Mack?

Post by HornedMessiah »

Been looking at a lot of mock drafts lately and it seems like every one has us taking either Khalil Mack or one of the top 3 QBs. But what if BOTH are available when we pick at #8? Do you take the best LB in the draft who I've seen go as high as #2 overall, or do take whatever QB is there?
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Dilemma at #8: QB or Mack?

Post by Purple bruise »

HornedMessiah wrote:Been looking at a lot of mock drafts lately and it seems like every one has us taking either Khalil Mack or one of the top 3 QBs. But what if BOTH are available when we pick at #8? Do you take the best LB in the draft who I've seen go as high as #2 overall, or do take whatever QB is there?
To me, JFB is the only QB worth spending the 8th pick on as far as a bunch of very average QBs. If he is not there I would like to see them draft the best defensive player on the board and address the QB situation latter in the 2nd or 3rd rounds.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Dirtyswabby
Starter

Post by Dirtyswabby »

this Poll is Moot, Mack wont be there at 8.
Representing the Vikings In Raleigh, NC
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Dirtyswabby wrote:this Poll is Moot, Mack wont be there at 8.
This poll is moo?

“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Pepper2Moss
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Pepper2Moss »

I'd take Mack unless the staff is convinced one of these QB's is a franchise caliber guy. Mack looks to be a stud in a position of great need.
King James
All Pro Elite Player

Post by King James »

Meh, I prefer CJ Moseley instead. But the ONLY quarterback I would take over Mack at #8 would be Bridgewater. As a matter of fact, Bridgewater is the ONLY QB, period, that I would draft in the first round.
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

this

Mack is the obvious choice, he's a top 5 prospect in this draft, which none of the QBs are. However, the odds of Mack falling to us are so small, there's very little point in discussing it
majorm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by majorm »

Absolutely right. No way he's there when the Vikings pick. If somehow he is, the Vikings' card should be at the podium in about 30 seconds. I don't care what QB is available. I agree that none of them are worth the 8th overall pick.

Bridgewater's stock seems to be falling so fast it's going to leave a crater when it finally hits.

I'm all over them taking the best LB or CB available with their first pick and go for a QB with their second. If they land a defensive stud with that first pick, along with the guys they've signed, their defense could be vastly improved. Maybe even... GOOD!
Slick Rick
Transition Player

Post by Slick Rick »

People act like all of the teams go by the "best player available" rule. I think there's a very good chance that teams are reaching for their QB, especially if one team in need like Jacksonville reaches for one in the top 5. I think there's a strong chance that happens, because teams don't want to miss their guy at a position like QB.

I remember when people were saying that we had a shot at Cam Newton, because the best players were supposedly the big bodies like Nick Fairley. Well, QBs went early that year even though they weren't viewed as the best players available by armchair GMs and couch scouts everywhere, FAIRLEY was available at #12, and we ended up with Christian Ponder. Now see the logic is that you get your QB because you don't think he's going to be around later on, and that isn't exactly the worst logic for a position as hard to fill as QB. Essentially, everyone wishes that they could have the luxury of being able to find the guy they want in the 2nd or 3rd round, but the reality of it is that someone's going to snipe your QB if you try to do that. I guarantee you if Bortles slides past the top 10, he's gonna end up being drafted by a team that already has a franchise QB who might need to be replaced in about 2-3 years. Pittsburgh, Denver, New Orleans, New York and New England could all pick a guy in the first round to be groomed as a replacement. Teams won't take that chance on the hardest position to fill unless they're confident that a second-tier QB is going to work out right away.

Now we have a situation where there are tons of QB-needy teams at the top of the draft, and I promise you none of them want to miss out on a certain guy. I think there are 2-3 reaches inside the top 5 like there always seems to be, and the Falcons get their hands on one of the top OTs like Robinson or Matthews, allowing for guys like Watkins and Mack to possibly slip to #7/8. I think given the opportunity to pick either, Tampa would definitely go for Watkins, and Mack would be sitting there at #8.

Here's how I think it's about to go down:

1. Jadeveon Clowney
2. Greg Robinson
3. Johnny Manziel
4. Derek Carr
5. Blake Bortles
6. Jake Matthews
7. Sammy Watkins
8. Khalil Mack

Otherwise, I think it could also go:

1. Clowney
2. Robinson
3. Manziel
4. Carr
5. Watkins
6. Matthews
7. Evans
8. Mack

I think he'll be there. Mack doesn't fit into a Tampa 2 scheme at all, and that's undoubtedly what the Bucs will be running. I could definitely see Mack going off the board at #2, 3 or 6, but I honestly think that there's at least a decent chance that he's still around. If not, I definitely expect the Vikes to drop back into the mid-teens and maybe get a guy like Barr, who I think has every bit as much potential as Mack. He isn't quite as athletic, or as finished a product, but he still has frame to fill, and he looks very strong as a run defender and pass rusher right now.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

People probably would have said the same thing last year about Floyd falling to #23. You just never know with the draft.
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

Best player available that falls to us is who we are gonna take. they can't all be gone by pick 8. Jacksonville and browns pretty much have to take A QB which is a mistake. The only time to take a QB in the first round is when you need one really bad AND you pick 1-3. Anything else is a force pick and not wise. None of the top picks are worth the risk of a first round draft pick. go for a good player and hope you get a decent QB in the late rounds. Many great QBs came out of the later rounds but a lot more QB busts came out of forced picks in the first round
KSViking
Veteran

Post by KSViking »

Slick Rick wrote:People act like all of the teams go by the "best player available" rule. I think there's a very good chance that teams are reaching for their QB, especially if one team in need like Jacksonville reaches for one in the top 5. I think there's a strong chance that happens, because teams don't want to miss their guy at a position like QB.

I remember when people were saying that we had a shot at Cam Newton, because the best players were supposedly the big bodies like Nick Fairley. Well, QBs went early that year even though they weren't viewed as the best players available by armchair GMs and couch scouts everywhere, FAIRLEY was available at #12, and we ended up with Christian Ponder. Now see the logic is that you get your QB because you don't think he's going to be around later on, and that isn't exactly the worst logic for a position as hard to fill as QB. Essentially, everyone wishes that they could have the luxury of being able to find the guy they want in the 2nd or 3rd round, but the reality of it is that someone's going to snipe your QB if you try to do that. I guarantee you if Bortles slides past the top 10, he's gonna end up being drafted by a team that already has a franchise QB who might need to be replaced in about 2-3 years. Pittsburgh, Denver, New Orleans, New York and New England could all pick a guy in the first round to be groomed as a replacement. Teams won't take that chance on the hardest position to fill unless they're confident that a second-tier QB is going to work out right away.

Now we have a situation where there are tons of QB-needy teams at the top of the draft, and I promise you none of them want to miss out on a certain guy. I think there are 2-3 reaches inside the top 5 like there always seems to be, and the Falcons get their hands on one of the top OTs like Robinson or Matthews, allowing for guys like Watkins and Mack to possibly slip to #7/8. I think given the opportunity to pick either, Tampa would definitely go for Watkins, and Mack would be sitting there at #8.

Here's how I think it's about to go down:

1. Jadeveon Clowney
2. Greg Robinson
3. Johnny Manziel
4. Derek Carr
5. Blake Bortles
6. Jake Matthews
7. Sammy Watkins
8. Khalil Mack

Otherwise, I think it could also go:

1. Clowney
2. Robinson
3. Manziel
4. Carr
5. Watkins
6. Matthews
7. Evans
8. Mack

I think he'll be there. Mack doesn't fit into a Tampa 2 scheme at all, and that's undoubtedly what the Bucs will be running. I could definitely see Mack going off the board at #2, 3 or 6, but I honestly think that there's at least a decent chance that he's still around. If not, I definitely expect the Vikes to drop back into the mid-teens and maybe get a guy like Barr, who I think has every bit as much potential as Mack. He isn't quite as athletic, or as finished a product, but he still has frame to fill, and he looks very strong as a run defender and pass rusher right now.
I agree with you a bit. I think the pivotal spots for Mack are Atlanta and TB, or someone trading up to get him. Both for-mentioned teams would love to have a guy like Mack on their roster, but they both also have some other needs that could be filled by Blue Chip prospects. WR and OT in TB, OT in Atlanta. My honest feelings is that the ONLY player that is guaranteed to not be there by 8 is Clowney. Everyone else I believe could be in play, I just think there is no way that 7 other teams would feel Clowney doesn't have enough potential to take a shot at him. Everyone else, there are so many opinions and so many positions of need, and who knows.. Trades will almost definitely occur within the top 10 this year.
MatteoSpace
Practice Squad

Post by MatteoSpace »

i hope in K.Mack :smilevike:
Sorry for my english, i'm trying to learn it
VikeMike
All Pro Elite Player

Post by VikeMike »

If Mack were there at 8, hell yes I'd grab him. I doubt he'll be there, but if he were I would think a team trying to build a defense would nab a difference-maker like him.
"Meet at the quarterback"
oldskoolvikingfan
Starter

Post by oldskoolvikingfan »

I would take Teddy at 8 over Mack, but I wouldn't take Manziel or Bortles over Mack at 8. The reason is that if Teddy is there at 8 it means that either Manziel, Bortles or even both went before us to either Houston, Jacksonville, Cleveland, Oakland, or Tampa bay. Lets say that Jacksonville took Bortles and Oakland took Manziel. That still leaves Houston, Cleveland, Tampa Bay, and maybe Arizona (Pick 20) looking to get a QB. If we pass on Teddy at 8 then Arizona, Houston, Cleveland, and Tampa bay all would draft before us and take the Best remaining QBs: Teddy to Arizona, Garropollo to Houston, Carr to Cleveland, and Mettenberger to Tampa Bay. Leaving guys like Murray and MCcarron for us to choose from. This would be a nightmare scenario for us. That is why we must take Teddy at 8 if available.