2014-2015 Master Injury Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: 2014-2015 Master Injury Thread

Post by Funkytown »

ESPN - Vikings DT Linval Joseph says he'll be ready for season opener; hit by stray bullet in calf on Aug. 9
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Anthony Barr (sprained ankle), Michael Mauti (foot), Brandon Watts, Jamarca Sanford (quad), Jabari Price all out Thursday vs. TEN #Vikings
@MasterStrib -- Zimmer said Gerald Hodges (knee) probably won't play, although he practiced today. Not sure on Rodney Smith yet #Vikings
‏@MasterStrib -- Phil Loadholt (ankle) and Linval Joseph (calf) won't play either. Zimmer said Loadholt is fine, Joseph could practice Saturday #Vikings
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Not good -->
@MasterStrib -- Xavier Rhodes (groin) said he's not sure what the plan is this week and whether he'll practice/play. Something to keep an eye on #Vikings
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

DKSweets wrote:I read an article a few years ago that said leather helmets actually produced fewer concussions because players were more cautious with their heads. Take that however you want.
There is the answer or perhaps no helmets at all. Think how cautious the players would be :lol:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@GoesslingESPN -- Xavier Rhodes, Sharrif Floyd and Brandon Watts didn't practice on Wednesday. Zach Line, Michael Mauti, Mike Harris and Tom Johnson limited.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@Andrew_Krammer -- Charlie Johnson (ankle) was a limited participant and new addition to #Vikings injury report today.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Oh no, Charlie Johnson? :violin:
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

Ahhhh..we need X Man and The Sheriff this week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
purplereign1
Rookie

Post by purplereign1 »

When is the NFL, and owners going to spend the extra money they get, and make a better helmet. Millions of dollars, a fraction of what they make, should be able to make a concussion free helmet for the people they are making all the money off.[/quote]

That's not the whole issue, concussions caused by the brain jarring against the inside of the skull happen no matter how much protection is outside the players head. A large portion of concussions occur due to this 'whipping' action. No helmets are concussion proof, and there will never be a concussion proof helmet, this isn't a case of the NFL not putting the needed funds into it, it's simply a non existent technology.[/quote]

However, a "nerf" helmet, or any helmet with an exterior layer that isn't rigid, should provide some kind of defense against concussions shouldn't it? If everyone ran around with Leon Sandcastle wigs on the game might be safer! :lol:[/quote]

This isn't that bad of an idea. Generally a concussion occurs when the helmet bounces off another hard object, such as helmet to helmet, helmet to knee, or helmet to turf. I think the force almost doubles when the helmet ricochets or bounces off the other object. In my opinion it would significantly reduce the amount of concussions to simply put a layer of soft foam on the outside of each helmet. It might look odd at first but it would help a lot to reduce the recoil when two hard objects collide. Obviously this foam wouldn't last real long before it was all tore up, but could easily be replaced if it attached in four or five pieces with either snaps or velcro. To make the foam more durable it could be inside a vinyl cover or something similar.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

*bites nails*
@GoesslingESPN -- Xavier Rhodes said he'll know tomorrow if he's going to play. Feeling a little better today than yesterday, he said.
I suppose I'd rather hold him out a week if he needs. Groin injuries are tough and easily re-injured. I'd rather have him out this game and in the the final 14 than try to play, end up ineffective and out for an extended time.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@mattvensel -- Sharrif Floyd wouldn't say if he will practice today or tomorrow. "Coach's decision," he said. Ditto when asked about playing Sunday.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

dead_poet wrote:*bites nails*
I suppose I'd rather hold him out a week if he needs. Groin injuries are tough and easily re-injured. I'd rather have him out this game and in the the final 14 than try to play, end up ineffective and out for an extended time.
Agreed. This game is important, but not more important than the last 2 months.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

*raises eyebrow*
@MasterStrib --Xavier Rhodes (groin) returned to practice. Sharrif Floyd (shoulder) only player absent. #Vikings
I'd figure it'd be the other way around. Looking more likely Rhodes plays and Floyd sits. Opportunity for Tom Johnson (who has looked better than anticipated)?
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

dead_poet wrote:*raises eyebrow*
I'd figure it'd be the other way around. Looking more likely Rhodes plays and Floyd sits. Opportunity for Tom Johnson (who has looked better than anticipated)?
Possibly even Shamar Stephen at times, he looked better than advertised as well. He was also projected as a 3rd round pick on his nfl.com scouting report, so we might have picked up a real steal with him.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@Andrew_Krammer -- Zimmer likes Rhodes and Floyd's chances of playing Sunday, but will get a better read on both tomorrow. #Vikings