Vikings sign S Kurt Coleman

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Vikings sign S Kurt Coleman

Post by CbusVikesFan »

Were you expecting Benny? :D
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
3Deep
Practice Squad

Post by 3Deep »

It seems like Zimmer likes these underachieving dudes. He has had success with the type in Cincinnati.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikin ... 94391.html

"Coleman will be the seventh safety on the roster, and the Vikings return a pair of starting safeties in Harrison Smith and Jamarca Sanford. But with a new head coach in Mike Zimmer, players will start with a clean slate and will have to prove themselves this spring and summer. Plus, the 5-foot-10, 200-pound safety is the kind of reclamation project that Zimmer enjoyed taking on as a coordinator.
Coleman, 25, was drafted by the Eagles in the seventh round of the 2010 NFL draft. He started two games as a rookie and 27 games over his new two seasons. He picked off four passes in 2011 and made a career-high 93 tackles in 2012, which ranked second on the Eagles.
Last year, the Eagles hired a new head coach in Chip Kelly and they signed Patrick Chung, who replaced Coleman as a starter. Coleman played just 73 defensive snaps in 2013, the lowest total of his career, but he was a core contributor on special teams, making eight tackles in that phase.
Coleman made 170 tackles with the Eagles with seven interceptions and a pair of forced fumbles".

Sounds like he might have some upside. Let's wait and see.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Purple Jesus wrote:WHO??
This is who he is: http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikin ... 94391.html

"Coleman will be the seventh safety on the roster, and the Vikings return a pair of starting safeties in Harrison Smith and Jamarca Sanford. But with a new head coach in Mike Zimmer, players will start with a clean slate and will have to prove themselves this spring and summer. Plus, the 5-foot-10, 200-pound safety is the kind of reclamation project that Zimmer enjoyed taking on as a coordinator.
Coleman, 25, was drafted by the Eagles in the seventh round of the 2010 NFL draft. He started two games as a rookie and 27 games over his new two seasons. He picked off four passes in 2011 and made a career-high 93 tackles in 2012, which ranked second on the Eagles.
Last year, the Eagles hired a new head coach in Chip Kelly and they signed Patrick Chung, who replaced Coleman as a starter. Coleman played just 73 defensive snaps in 2013, the lowest total of his career, but he was a core contributor on special teams, making eight tackles in that phase.
Coleman made 170 tackles with the Eagles with seven interceptions and a pair of forced fumbles".
Last edited by Purple bruise on Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Might be the second best safety on the roster. :confused:
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Ugh. Damn it. Well, I knew they would overlook the strong safety position again this year. I cannot say I am all too excited about a Kurt Coleman/Jamarca Sanford battle for the starting strong safety spot.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:Ugh. Damn it. Well, I knew they would overlook the strong safety position again this year. I cannot say I am all too excited about a Kurt Coleman/Jamarca Sanford battle for the starting strong safety spot.
Just out of curiosity what would you be doing about the other safety position? The Vikes still could be planning on getting a safety thru the draft or maybe signing/trading for another veteran. Keep in mind that Smith can and has played both safety positions and could easily move to either to accomadate another of the new/old safeties.

Loki
Veteran

Post by Loki »

Some people on here are ridiculous lol. Do you guys expect us to fill every position of need before we even have the draft? I'm not in love with Coleman either but for the amount of money we have left to spend it's about the best deal you could ask for. He's likely being paid veteran minimum and for that price getting a player who's started 2 full seasons and is still just 25 is money well spent. Sanford has struggled in coverage but sill makes a lot of plays stopping the run and forcing fumbles so i doubt Coleman beats him out, so basically we signed a solid special teams players with the upside of pushing Sanford to get better and if he's forced to play via injury has had 2 years experience. Nothing to be #### about.
ON TO VALHALLA
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote: I'd probably rather have Benny. :lol:

Coleman is atrocious and probably worse than Sanford.
lol, I hear ya. Idk about that though. Coleman has more INT's than anyone on the roster.
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Guy made solid tackles on video against
quality guys... Maybe he can fill a need
for us a cheap price
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
MatteoSpace
Practice Squad

Post by MatteoSpace »

Imho a good depth/ST signing to a minimum deal

With Harrison Smith can play as FS and as SS, Coleman could fight with Raymon, Sandford, Sendejo and Blanton for battle for the starting safety spot (and depth)

I think the Vikes still could draft a Safety.
Sorry for my english, i'm trying to learn it
King James
All Pro Elite Player

Post by King James »

3rd string/practice squad player at best!
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Jeffbleedspurple wrote:Now I remember this dude, comes in at about 2:10 in this video :steamed:

Dang, maybe these dumb Vikings (Spielman) might know a little bit more than us fans about who they are signing. Looks like AD might remember who Kurt Coleman is.
:)

Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

2:45 was niiiiiiice.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Yep, not to shabby for a 3rd string/practice kind of guy, (at best):roll: :lol:
Last edited by Purple bruise on Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.