How are the Vikings spending their money?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

How are the Vikings spending their money?

Post by dead_poet »

Thought this was good data: http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikin ... um=twitter

Details in each, but here's how the 'Trib broke it down:
Quarterback ($8.98 million, 20th in the NFL)

Running back ($19.16 million, most in the NFL)

Wide receiver ($12.29 million, 21st in the NFL)

Tight end ($1.97 million, 30th in the NFL):

Offensive line ($23.05 million, 17th in the NFL)

Defensive end ($16.59 million, ninth in the NFL)

Defensive tackle ($11.27 million, 11th in the NFL)

Linebacker ($11.03 million, 24th in the NFL)

Cornerback ($9.81 million, 25th in the NFL)

Safeties ($6.40 million, 21st in the NFL)
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Re: How are the Vikings spending their money?

Post by chicagopurple »

overall, pretty low. I wonder if they have ratings that also reflect the cities Populations size? Dies a bigger city (Chicago,LA, NY) always imply bigger spenders??
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

chicagopurple wrote:overall, pretty low. I wonder if they have ratings that also reflect the cities Populations size? Dies a bigger city (Chicago,LA, NY) always imply bigger spenders??
Here is the current salary cap space situation.

http://www.spotrac.com/cap-tracker/nfl/2014/

Vikings - $12.5 million (17th highest cap space)
Bears - $7.6 million (24th highest cap space)
Packers - $15.6 million (11th highest cap space)
Lions - $1.6 million (31st highest cap space)
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I think some of that is a product of a youthful team where many players are under their rookie contracts but it also seems like Zygi could open the wallet a little more too.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Kind of an odd time of year to be adding up those numbers.

How are they in the top ten at defensive tackle, with only Linval Joseph with a significant salary, and Sharrif Floyd still on his rookie contract?

What gets me is that with those placings at the various positions you would think they'd have much more than just $12.5M in cap room and be higher than 17th overall in the league. Just shows you how much that running back number skews things. Anyone who thinks it's not limiting what the Vikings can do in free agency is kidding themselves.
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

And we are drafting at #8? Makes sense. Seems like we should spend more $ at LB and Cb if we really want to stop anybody . Our old model/philosophy of a dominant Dline is an outdated scheme. The teams that are winning a lot have great LBs and Corners. Better cover guys give the DL time to get to the QB
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Laserman wrote:The teams that are winning a lot have great LBs and Corners.
Seattle may have had one of the best defensive lines in the league. Same goes for the 49ers. Carolina, too. Teams invest in QBs on the offensive side of the ball and edge rushers that can get pressure on those guys on the defensive side. It's not a surprise that those guys are still being paid a premium.
Better cover guys give the DL time to get to the QB
The same is true on the opposite side: better defensive linemen take pressure of corners and can help them cover "longer" and get more PDs and turnovers.

We just need more talent all over, including LB and CB. Even the best defensive lines can't cover up a sorry bunch of corners. The same is true vice-versa.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Laserman wrote:And we are drafting at #8? Makes sense. Seems like we should spend more $ at LB and Cb if we really want to stop anybody . Our old model/philosophy of a dominant Dline is an outdated scheme.
I doubt it will ever be outdated unless the rules change in a significant way. The game is still won and lost at the line of scrimmage.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

To me, the Vikings problems, especially on defense, haven't been due to not spending enough at certain positions, but the fact that they've been so poor at finding talent. The linebacker position has been just plain ignored. The cornerback position is second only to the QB position at sheer incompetence in drafting and in finding skilled free agents.

I don't think there's a magic formula for spending by position that can be said to win championships. Every team has the same amount to spend, but circumstances often dictate their spending more so than any conscious effort. If you have a Drew Brees or an Aaron Rodgers, you pay him $20M and that's that. It's finding those guys who are worth overpaying that is the much bigger challenge.
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

S197 wrote:I think some of that is a product of a youthful team where many players are under their rookie contracts but it also seems like Zygi could open the wallet a little more too.
I bet signing draft picks takes up about $4 million, that takes us down to $8 million left. Keep $2-3 million in reserve for picking up guys as injury replacements and now you're down to $5-6 million in cap space. Next year we know AP's number goes up by $1 million, Chad Greenway's cap hit goes up by $1.6 million, Greg Jennings cap hit goes up by $4 million. Kyle Rudolph will be a FA come 2015... All of a sudden there's not much money left.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/yearly/
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

RB's are soooo overrated. Or maybe not, the Vikings are just in the dark over it. Especially ones that cant play 3rd downs.