QB draft preference

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

QB draft preference

Post by 720pete »

Let's try something. Post a list of QBs you would take with the 8th pick in the draft if all QBs were available. Post your list in order of preference. If there is a QB you wouldn't take, simply leave him off your list.

Johnny Manziel
Teddy Bridgewater
Derek Carr
Zach Mettenberger
Blake Bortles
Jimmy Garoppolo
Connor Shaw

EXAMPLE
1. Johnny Manziel
2. Teddy Bridgewater
3. Derek Carr

(Wouldn't draft Bortles, Garoppolo, or Shaw at #8 so leave off the list)
Once a few more people post I will start tallying it up and update the thread with the percentages. Then on draft day we can see who VMB picks versus Spielman if he drafts a QB.
Loki
Veteran

Re: QB draft preference

Post by Loki »

This is a good Idea but It's kinda dumb if you just do the first round. I'd say List which QB we'd take with each of the first 3 Rounds (4 picks). Like this.

-First Round-
1. Johnny Manziel
2. Teddy Bridgewater

-Second Round-
1. Blake Bortles
2. Derek Carr

-Early Third Round-
1. Aaron Murray
2. Jimmy Garoppolo
3. AJ McCarron

-Late Third Round-
1. Zach Mettenberger
ON TO VALHALLA
allday2097
Waterboy

Post by allday2097 »

1. Bortles
2. Carr
3. Manziel
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

My list looks like this:
KSViking
Veteran

Post by KSViking »

Too many other factors to really say. I would prefer not to draft a QB with our first pick. However, if they do, Im hoping for Bridgewater.

Would rather get one in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Garrapolo
Murrey
McCarran
Mettenberger is probbably my ranking of the Tier 2 guys in my eyes.
Slick Rick
Transition Player

Post by Slick Rick »

Honestly, if we're at #8 I don't see the value in picking a QB that high. Tom Savage, Jimmy Garoppolo, Zach Mettenberger, Tajh Boyd and Aaron Murray are all going to be there anywhere between the 2nd and 5th rounds. Heck, I know it isn't the popular choice, but Logan Thomas has all of the raw talent and measurables to be a franchise QB. He might be a raw prospect, but if that's who the FO/Norv sees as his guy, I definitely think it's worth waiting it out with all of the defensive talent likely to go at the top of the draft.
AP_AD28
Rookie

Post by AP_AD28 »

1st round-
Manziel

Trade back in the 1st-
Bridgewater-I wouldnt be too upset if they took him at 8, but getting max value being able to trade down would be ideal

Bortles- people make comparisons to big ben, I just dont see it. he rose too quickly up the board, and im not sure i trust it

2nd round-
None for this reason: every year theres players who fall out of the first round that tend to shock everyone, and the Vikings are in the perfect spot to scoop one up (Van Noy, Shazier, several corners)

3rd round-
Murray- been one of my favorite options as of late. I really like his competitive spirit and he really can make every throw. Injury is a concern, but he wouldnt have to start immediately, and needs time to grow and learn the system

Mettenberger- would fit well in Turners system I would say

Savage- highly underrated, and is probably a better prospect than a lot of the QBs in this class

Garoppolo- another quick riser, not sure i trust him playing against low competition. sure he has a nice release and good feet, but it only goes so far

McCarron- hes a winner. worth the risk for that reason in the 3rd if all the other options are gone

Wouldnt draft:

Derek Carr- cant get David Carr memories out of my mind, and he just looks too much like Ponder, he only hits the short throws
headless_norseman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by headless_norseman »

KSViking wrote:Too many other factors to really say. I would prefer not to draft a QB with our first pick. However, if they do, Im hoping for Bridgewater.

Would rather get one in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Garrapolo
Murrey
McCarran
Mettenberger is probbably my ranking of the Tier 2 guys in my eyes.

Manziel scored a 32 on the Wonderlick, Bridgewater scored a 20, indicating an average 100 IQ.
A successful coach needs a patient wife, loyal dog, and great quarterback - and not necessarily in that order.

-- Bud Grant
headless_norseman
All Pro Elite Player

80 PurplePride 84 wrote:Bridgewater is the only QB I'd take at 8.

I wouldn't complain about anyone picked from the 2nd-7th because I won't have much, if any, expectations from them.

I'd complain about a wasted draft pick.
A successful coach needs a patient wife, loyal dog, and great quarterback - and not necessarily in that order.

-- Bud Grant
KSViking
Veteran

Post by KSViking »

headless_norseman wrote:
Manziel scored a 32 on the Wonderlick, Bridgewater scored a 20, indicating an average 100 IQ.
2011 Draft Wonderlick Scores
Blaine Gabbert, Missouri- 42
Colin Kaepernick, Nevada- 38
Christian Ponder, Florida State- 35
Ricky Stanzi, Iowa- 30
Andy Dalton, TCU- 29
Ryan Mallett, Arkansas- 26
Cam Newton, Auburn- 21
Jake Locker, Washington 20

I'm not saying its irrelevant but I don't think it projects who will and will not be successful. Like the combine, pro days, interviews, game tapes.. Its just 1 piece of a large puzzle.
headless_norseman
All Pro Elite Player

KSViking wrote:
I'm not saying its irrelevant but I don't think it projects who will and will not be successful. Like the combine, pro days, interviews, game tapes.. Its just 1 piece of a large puzzle.

100% agreed. I personally don't put a lot of stock in it myself, but I think it's more relevant with some than others.

-- Bud Grant
oldskoolvikingfan
Starter

Post by oldskoolvikingfan »

1st Round
1. Teddy
2. Manziel
3. Carr

2nd Round
1. Bortles
2. Mettenberger
3. Garropollo

3rd-5th Round
1. Murray

Wouldn't draft MCcarron or any other QB thats not on the above list.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Slick Rick wrote:Honestly, if we're at #8 I don't see the value in picking a QB that high. Tom Savage, Jimmy Garoppolo, Zach Mettenberger, Tajh Boyd and Aaron Murray are all going to be there anywhere between the 2nd and 5th rounds. Heck, I know it isn't the popular choice, but Logan Thomas has all of the raw talent and measurables to be a franchise QB. He might be a raw prospect, but if that's who the FO/Norv sees as his guy, I definitely think it's worth waiting it out with all of the defensive talent likely to go at the top of the draft.
Not a fan of Boyd, he had two really, really, good receivers to throw to, which makes him harder to evaluate (made easy throws, receivers high YAC). I'd take Brett Smith out of Wyoming over him. Thomas would be an intriguing guy but should go around the 6th/7th. Connor Shaw is another interesting 6/7 prospect. Also Bryn Renner in the 7th/UDFA, without the injury it's likely he would be a 3rd round prospect or thereabouts.

As for the topic, right now (I change my mind daily), I'd take Bortles and Bridgewater in the 1st. Unsure about Manziel. Wouldn't take Carr, Garoppolo, Carr, Mettenberger (my preferred guy in later rounds), Carr, or McCarron in the 1st. Oh and Carr, wouldn't take him in the 1st. :twisted:
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

1:) Teddy. That's it. No one else.
2:) Jimmy G
3:) Zach, followed somewhat closely by the rest of them, other then Murray and Carr.
Loki
Veteran

Post by Loki »

Jeffbleedspurple wrote:How about this dude in the 3rd RD
I haven't had to to study Tom Savage yet, but from what I can see from his highlight seems to have every bit of arm strength you want in an NFL QB, and he looks a lot more mobile than pocket sloth Zach Mettenberger. Just glancing over his stats says that he is wildly inconsistent and needs a lot more work than a 3rd round pick. 5th or 6th I'd say would be more likely
ON TO VALHALLA