QB draft preference

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: QB draft preference

Post by Texas Vike »

MatteoSpace wrote:-1st round-
Bridgewater
Manziel

-2st round-
Bortles

-late 2th/4th round-
Carr
Mettenberger
Garoppolo

-5 round
AJ McCarron
Prima di tutto, ¡Benvenuto!

I agree w/ your take quite closely. Bortles isn't worth a top 8 pick IMO (much less a trade up as pitched in another thread). How did you become a MN Vikings fan?
MatteoSpace
Practice Squad

Post by MatteoSpace »

Texas Vike wrote: Prima di tutto, ¡Benvenuto!

I agree w/ your take quite closely. Bortles isn't worth a top 8 pick IMO (much less a trade up as pitched in another thread). How did you become a MN Vikings fan?
Thanks
I answered you here --> http://www.vikingsmessageboard.com/view ... 78#p536578
Sorry for my english, i'm trying to learn it
headless_norseman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by headless_norseman »

AllDay wrote:We need to draft Bortles. I think we should trade up for him.

We've heard you, but let it go. It's not goinng to happen.
A successful coach needs a patient wife, loyal dog, and great quarterback - and not necessarily in that order.

-- Bud Grant
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

My QB preference:

Teddy Bridgewater, Teddy Bridgewater, Teddy Bridgewater, Teddy Bridgewater, and Teddy Bridgewater.

All joking aside, I will be upset if we pass on Bridgewater, but I cannot be too upset if we choose a guy like Derek Carr or Johnny Manziel. Drafting Bortles (if he falls to eight) would not really elicit a response from me.

I will be absolutely livid if we draft Zach Mettenberger.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
headless_norseman
All Pro Elite Player

I saw enough "highlights" of Bridgewater's pro day to scare me silly. Combined with his other misgivings, my diagnosis would be stay away........stay FAR AWAY!
A successful coach needs a patient wife, loyal dog, and great quarterback - and not necessarily in that order.

-- Bud Grant
AllDay
Rookie

Post by AllDay »

headless_norseman wrote:
We've heard you, but let it go. It's not goinng to happen.
I would be happy if we traded down and picked Derek Carr as well. Like him a lot.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:I will be absolutely livid if we draft Zach Mettenberger.
Why?
headless_norseman
All Pro Elite Player

AllDay wrote: I would be happy if we traded down and picked Derek Carr as well. Like him a lot.

I wouldn't mind that either, but I don't think Carr is that high on their board. Just conjecture, but I could be wrong as a sort of a plan B, on their part.

-- Bud Grant
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

MatteoSpace wrote:-1st round-
Bridgewater
Manziel

-2st round-
Bortles

-late 2th/4th round-
Carr
Mettenberger
Garoppolo

-5 round
AJ McCarron
I think we should draft another position other than QB. But I have to admit, with a draft like that we should get at least one good QB. :D
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
MatteoSpace
Practice Squad

Post by MatteoSpace »

Raptorman wrote: I think we should draft another position other than QB. But I have to admit, with a draft like that we should get at least one good QB. :D

:lol:
I just followed what others have done before.
Sorry for my english, i'm trying to learn it
Tark10
Starter

Post by Tark10 »

STOP-GAP starters... All we've had is stop gap starters since Kramer left. OK maybe Culpepper would be the exception.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote:This is a hilarious year for qbs. Its not just us fans who have evaluated the top 8 or so qbs radically different but also the "experts". It is going to be fascinating to see who the "risers" and "fallers", "reaches" and "values" are deemed to be. I don't think any of us would be shocked if Carr went top 10 or mid 2nd round. Bill Polian stated Garropolo will be a late first round pick, some of our fans want to select him in the 4th. Aaron Murray might sneak into the first round, or be available late 4th/5th round. Mettenberger is the "vikings first choice at qb" according to the rumor mill. Could go early 2nd or late 4th. Teddy Bridgewater might be the first pick in the draft...or fall out of the first round. :rofl:

Its going to be a wild draft. I can't wait for may.
Great post! You perfectly described the crazy nature of this draft when it comes to QBs and as you said, it's going to be fun to see how it unfolds and how everyone reacts. It will also be interesting to see how accurate, or wildly inaccurate, the various evaluations of these QBs turn out to be once they've spent a few years in the pros.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote: Is it really the best approach to get away from "Stop-Gap" starters? I know its not a popular suggestion as Vikings fans are hungry for a true franchise QB, but with the likes or Warren Moon, Brad Johnson, Randall Cunningham, Jeff George and Brett Favre the Vikings have had some pretty exceptional seasons. No, they never won the superbowl, but was that the result of not having the QB that year on the roster for several years before? Most of those vikings teams were undersized defensively, poor against the run, and not that stellar against the pass either. With better defenses we might be looking for our 4th or 5th superbowl title this upcoming season.
Yes, getting away from stopgap starters is the best approach if the team wants to achieve sustained success and give themselves a nice, long window in which to potentially win a Super Bowl. A really good stopgap QB like Cunningham in '98 or Favre in '09 is certainly better than a lousy starter or a mediocre stopgap but typically, players like that only have one or two good seasons left in them (which is why they're available in the first place). I think it's clearly much better to find a player that can give the team 10+ years of quality QB play than to keep settling for players who can, hopefully, give them one or two.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

]

Yes, getting away from stopgap starters is the best approach if the team wants to achieve sustained success and give themselves a nice, long window in which to potentially win a Super Bowl. A really good stopgap QB like Cunningham in '98 or Favre in '09 is certainly better than a lousy starter or a mediocre stopgap but typically, players like that only have one or two good seasons left in them (which is why they're available in the first place). I think it's clearly much better to find a player that can give the team 10+ years of quality QB play than to keep settling for players who can, hopefully, give them one or two.[/quote]

No doubt, I have to agree, I'm just trying to introduce another perspective for the sake of discussion. Having to devote about 1/6th of your total cap space to a franchise QB introduces another interesting dimension to the question too. Given the rookie wage scale and the success a lot of young QBs have been having, I think it is conceivable that teams could begin drafting their "stop gap" qb, but neglecting to re-sign them for 20 mil a year unless they are truly elite. One wonders if Baltimore wouldn't have been better off letting someone else pay Flacco. What will happen with Russell Martin? Is he truly elite? Will he keep getting better? Would the 49ers pay Kaepernick 20 mil a season? What will happen with Andy Dalton? In my opinion the rookie wage scale and last collective bargaining agreement have introduced a lot of things which have not yet been fully realized in the NFL, but "the way things work" might well change over the next few years...especially if a team has success by bucking the trend. If you have a Brady/Manning/Rodgers/Brees...you pay that guy 20 mil and build around him as best you can, but otherwise? It might be easier to build and maintain a really strong roster by focussing resources elsewhere.[/quote]

Nice post but I think that you meant Russel Wilson (Martin).
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
maembe
Franchise Player

Post by maembe »

fiestavike wrote: This is a hilarious year for qbs. Its not just us fans who have evaluated the top 8 or so qbs radically different but also the "experts". It is going to be fascinating to see who the "risers" and "fallers", "reaches" and "values" are deemed to be. I don't think any of us would be shocked if Carr went top 10 or mid 2nd round. Bill Polian stated Garropolo will be a late first round pick, some of our fans want to select him in the 4th. Aaron Murray might sneak into the first round, or be available late 4th/5th round. Mettenberger is the "vikings first choice at qb" according to the rumor mill. Could go early 2nd or late 4th. Teddy Bridgewater might be the first pick in the draft...or fall out of the first round. :rofl:

Its going to be a wild draft. I can't wait for may.
It is kind of funny. I feel like it's been a long time since there have been so many tier 1-2 QBs in a draft, and I've never seen a draft with such differing opinions on all of them. Bortles wasn't even in the discussion half way through the season, now people are thinking we should trade our entire draft to snag him at 2, while there's still a large contingent that wouldn't touch him in the first round. Then again, there are people who feel the same way about both Teddy and Johnny.

I feel like the experts have no idea what's going on either. They don't even know whether these QBs are going to be top 5 picks or early second rounders. For this reason, I'm going to convince myself to be excited no matter who we get because I'm not going to pretend I'm more knowledgeable about these players than anyone else. Everyone's basically just going off of their gut instinct at this point.

I'm considering moving into the Demi camp and saying that I know whoever we draft will be terrible so I can say I was right if they fail, but can be happy on the off chance that they have success. Win-win.
Last edited by maembe on Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:08 am, edited 2 times in total.