QB draft preference

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

KSViking
Veteran

Re: QB draft preference

Post by KSViking »

Webbfann wrote: I can't believe people even invest themselves in worrying about who the Vikings will pick in the draft. All its going to lead to is the vast majority being disappointed one way or the other. They aren't going to take Manziel, if he's even available, so there goes half the party.
Whoever they do pick is only going to please less than half of those remaining. And unless the pick, whoever it is, becomes a franchise QB and leads us to Super Bowl wins most of the rest will be disappointed. I don't get the attraction of this speculation game.

I guess I just don't love football enough. I don't even dream about football or the draft. :lol:
Just this Monday, I was full of Nyquil, and anything else that could get me to stop coughing and put me to sleep. Why I layed down on the couch and began to drift off, I kept dreaming, or feeling like it was draft day, and the Vikings had just drafted someone. I didn't know who it was, but I was not happy or excited about it at all. I would then wake up, figure out that it wasn't draft day, and repeat. I think it took me about 3 hours to finally get some rest and get this crap out of my head. Even in my dreams.. I'm disappointed in the Vikings draft. WTF
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

KSViking wrote:Just this Monday, I was full of Nyquil, and anything else that could get me to stop coughing and put me to sleep. Why I layed down on the couch and began to drift off, I kept dreaming, or feeling like it was draft day, and the Vikings had just drafted someone. I didn't know who it was, but I was not happy or excited about it at all. I would then wake up, figure out that it wasn't draft day, and repeat. I think it took me about 3 hours to finally get some rest and get this crap out of my head. Even in my dreams.. I'm disappointed in the Vikings draft. WTF
LOL! You're suffering from "Vikings syndrome".
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Webbfann wrote:I can't believe people even invest themselves in worrying about who the Vikings will pick in the draft. All its going to lead to is the vast majority being disappointed one way or the other.
The eternally bright-eyed homers will love the draft and be congratulating the front office and coaching staff before a single rookie sets foot on a practice field. The perpetual naysayers will hate the draft and call it a complete failure, again, before a single player has played a snap.

What gets me is the shear volume of this ad nauseam debate over something in which fans have absolutely no say. Sure, it's fun to speculate, watch the evolving mock drafts, see the talking heads make fools of themselves. But how do you never get tired of talking about it?
Webbfann
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Webbfann »

Eli wrote: The eternally bright-eyed homers will love the draft and be congratulating the front office and coaching staff before a single rookie sets foot on a practice field. The perpetual naysayers will hate the draft and call it a complete failure, again, before a single player has played a snap.

What gets me is the shear volume of this ad nauseam debate over something in which fans have absolutely no say. Sure, it's fun to speculate, watch the evolving mock drafts, see the talking heads make fools of themselves. But how do you never get tired of talking about it?
I don't know. I'd almost rather talk about Christian Ponder's good points. Whatever they are.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

interesting read on our most likely options at 8: Bridgewater and Bortles.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikin ... 85421.html

“I think they’re both going to be good NFL quarterbacks,” Gibbs said. “How good? I’m not a quarterback guru. But neither one of them is going to be a bust. They’re safe picks. In my opinion, because of the way they’ve been trained and coached, you’re not going to get a Ryan Leaf. You’re not going to get JaMarcus Russell. You’re not going to get a guy who just can’t play.”
Gibbs said NFL evaluators benefit from Bridgewater and Bortles playing in pro-style offenses with similar run-pass checks, whereas “trying to project Johnny Manziel into an NFL offense must be a nightmare.”

“Bridgewater and Bortles both did everything that you need them to do,” Gibbs said. “They can throw from the pocket, they could throw on the run whether it was bootlegs or sprint-outs. They made all the throws from the out routes to the go routes.

An interesting observation about the top 3:
“The truth is if you’re a coach and you’re on the hot seat, you’re saying, ‘Take Johnny Manziel,’ ” Gibbs said. “You have to do something to keep your job, so you take that risk. But if you’re a guy who has just been hired and you know you got two or three years to figure things out, I don’t think you take that guy. That’s just my opinion. What do I know?”
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Texas Vike wrote:An interesting observation about the top 3:
Interesting, but it's also common sense. People in secure job situations take fewer chances. The same can be said for GMs. If you're a Spielman and folks are starting (starting?) to question your ability to assemble a football team, then you're more likely to take chances. It's not hard to see the conflict given Gibb's observation about a coach who has just been hired. Hopefully, Spielman doesn't yet feel like (or more importantly, hopefully he doesn't act like) he's on the hot seat quite yet.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Goessling's take on what we do it 8 and in the draft re: the QB position:
http://espn.go.com/blog/minnesota-vikin ... wait-on-qb
Plenty of people around the league believe the Vikings won't take a quarterback at No. 8, choosing instead to draft a defensive player or trade back a few spots to accumulate more picks before picking a defender. With the caveat that what you hear from people around the league has to be triple-filtered this time of year, I'm inclined to think it's likely the Vikings wait, for a couple reasons. First, the Vikings still have enough defensive needs that they would be helped sooner by a linebacker or defensive back than they would by drafting a quarterback who needs time to develop. There's some legitimacy to Spielman's statements that the Vikings aren't that far away from being back in the playoffs. That's based on how many close games they might have won with only slightly more efficient quarterbacking and a less porous defense last season. If you believe a full season of Cassel and the prospect of defensive improvement is enough for a quick pivot while Adrian Peterson is still in his 20s, wouldn't it be tempting to consider that route?
More at link.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

I know this MMQB article has been referenced on the board but I couldn't remember if anyone had linked directly to it. It's an interesting read:

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/04/21/2014-nfl- ... arterback/
“The torture part of it,’’ said Spielman, “is you see a player sitting there when you pick who you know can help you right away, a significant player at another position, an impact player as a rookie. Then you ask yourself, ‘How do we feel about our options at quarterback in the second or third round? Is it close? Is there a big separation, or is it close?’ We’ve broken them down in all the ways we could think of. Analytically—measuring them against their five toughest opponents, indoor-versus-outdoor, by psychological testing, and it is such a mixed bag.

“That’s a big reason why we made it a high priority to sign Matt Cassel back. Every one of these quarterbacks … nothing is a sure thing. There’s no Andrew Luck, no Peyton Manning. It is such a mixed bag with each player—every one of them has positives, every one of them has negatives. And if that’s the way you end up feeling, why don’t you just wait ’til later in the draft, and take someone with the first pick you’re sure will help you right now?

“I agree with that coach, whoever it is. It is torturous this year.”

Spielman said the big benefit for Minnesota will be that, on the weekend before the draft, new offensive coordinator Norv Turner will get his hands on Cassel and Christian Ponder on the field during head coach Mike Zimmer’s first mini-camp of the off-season. So Spielman would have had his eight days of meetings, and Turner would have had his three days on the field with the quarterbacks, and then the staff would be able to know: How urgent is our need at quarterback, and how much of a consensus do we have on one of the college guys in this draft?

“Ideally,’’ said Spielman, “if we did pick a quarterback this year we would want to redshirt him anyway, and when he’d be ready to go, he’d play. But he’d probably use this year as a learning year. I can say that now, before our meetings, we’ll have the coaches and scouts speak, but if we are going to consider a quarterback at eight, I better have consensus in the building that this is our guy. We all better feel good about one guy.’’

I asked Spielman about the pressure of picking a quarterback in a year when all of them have zits.

“There’s always pressure,’’ he said. “This year, there’s more.’’
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Mothman wrote:I know this MMQB article has been referenced on the board but I couldn't remember if anyone had linked directly to it. It's an interesting read:

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/04/21/2014-nfl- ... arterback/

Given Spielman's history, I feel gullible writing this: but I think he's being sincere in these reports. Maybe that's Spielman's spiel (sorry, I couldn't resist) this year, and they are doing all they can to get Manziel or Bortles or Bridewater to fall to them at 8, but what he's saying reflects reality very closely in my eyes.

As special as I think JFB is, I have a hard time imagining him fitting with Zimmer and Spielman. I don't see it. The Bortles rumors may be accurate, though I doubt they trade UP for him. If he's there at 8, super, if not, I suspect they'll look for other talent.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote:Given Spielman's history, I feel gullible writing this: but I think he's being sincere in these reports. Maybe that's Spielman's spiel (sorry, I couldn't resist) this year, and they are doing all they can to get Manziel or Bortles or Bridewater to fall to them at 8, but what he's saying reflects reality very closely in my eyes.

I don't think you're bring gullible. I believe he is being sincere but he's doing so by posing questions the Vikings have undoubtedly asked themselves and not by revealing answers. He leaves himself plenty of room and doesn't rule out the possibility of drafting a QB with the eighth pick.
As special as I think JFB is, I have a hard time imagining him fitting with Zimmer and Spielman. I don't see it. The Bortles rumors may be accurate, though I doubt they trade UP for him. If he's there at 8, super, if not, I suspect they'll look for other talent.
Which leaves Bridgewater and Carr and I think it's possible they're targeting the latter but what do I know? ;)

One of the biggest wrenches in the works for me is the stadium situation. How much latitude is Zimmer going to get because the team has to play in the Gophers' stadium for the next two years? I don't really buy the idea that Cassel provides a safety net and takes the pressure off team. They need a better QB and he's almost certainly a bridge, not a solution. However, is he a bridge to a new starter in 2015 (to be drafted this year) or is he a bridge to the new stadium? How hard are the Vikings going to try to turn things around in 2014? In 2015?
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Mothman wrote:

I don't think you're bring gullible. I believe he is being sincere but he's doing so by posing questions the Vikings have undoubtedly asked themselves and not by revealing answers. He leaves himself plenty of room and doesn't rule out the possibility of drafting a QB with the eighth pick.
Which leaves Bridgewater and Carr and I think it's possible they're targeting the latter but what do I know? ;)

One of the biggest wrenches in the works for me is the stadium situation. How much latitude is Zimmer going to get because the team has to play in the Gophers' stadium for the next two years? I don't really buy the idea that Cassel provides a safety net and takes the pressure off team. They need a better QB and he's almost certainly a bridge, not a solution. However, is he a bridge to a new starter in 2015 (to be drafted this year) or is he a bridge to the new stadium? How hard are the Vikings going to try to turn things around in 2014? In 2015?

Well, to put it another way: is there ANY way they do not take a QB in the first 3 rounds this year? I personally cannot imagine that happening. I think having Cassell signed DOES free them from having to pick a QB at 8. I think Spielman's being straight that he is comfortable w/ Matt as the starter for the 2014 season. Without Cassell I think they would feel more pressure to do whatever it takes to get the QB they want. The rumors about trading up for Bortles? I'd believe it if they didn't have Cassell. So what's your prediction, Moth? Carr in the late first? @ 40? @ 8?

I can imagine them taking Carr. I don't know whether I like him to be honest, but I can definitely see Turner and Co. liking him.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote:Well, to put it another way: is there ANY way they do not take a QB in the first 3 rounds this year? I personally cannot imagine that happening.

I'd be extremely surprised if they didn't draft a QB during the first 2 days of the draft.
I think having Cassell signed DOES free them from having to pick a QB at 8. I think Spielman's being straight that he is comfortable w/ Matt as the starter for the 2014 season. Without Cassell I think they would feel more pressure to do whatever it takes to get the QB they want. The rumors about trading up for Bortles? I'd believe it if they didn't have Cassell.
To me, the main thing Cassel does is give them an alternative to starting the extremely unpopular Ponder or a rookie, so while I agree that they're probably comfortable starting him for a season, I'm assuming that's purely as a means to an end. That end would be a QB drafted this year to start in 2015. In other words, I don't think Cassel's presence relieves enough pressure to keep them from feeling they have to do whatever it takes to get the QB they want. I think it just means they don't have to start that player right away.

To put it another way, if Cassel is the team's starting QB for the next 3 years, I suspect everyone involved will end up looking for work. I think the Vikes know that, ideal draft for it or not, they need to do everything they can to get their QB in this draft.
So what's your prediction, Moth? Carr in the late first? @ 40? @ 8?

I can imagine them taking Carr. I don't know whether I like him to be honest, but I can definitely see Turner and Co. liking him.
I can too but I'm reluctant to make a prediction this far out from the draft. I'm not convinced they'll take Carr but that's my gut feeling. I think they'd probably like to trade down from #8, pick up an extra pick or two and then grab him. I'd be a little surprised if they were willing to select him at #8. If they can't trade down, I think it's more likely they'll use the eighth pick on another position and then try to trade up to get Carr.

So, if forced to make a prediction, that's my best guess. :) That probably means Garoppolo is their man!
Anderson22
Rookie

Post by Anderson22 »

1st round
Johnny football

2nd round
Zach mettenburger
Savage

I really would rather have mettenburger or savage in the 2nd round. If u look at game tape of mettenburger against Alabama he is the most game ready qb in this draft. He has the size and the arm to spread the field and is more accurate than any qb in the draft. I wanted mallet a few years back and I want mettenburger now! Please please no teddy!!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

I don't make many pre-draft declarations but if the Vikings invest a second round pick in Savage, I'll be pretty disappointed. He doesn't look second round-worthy to me.
Anderson22
Rookie

Post by Anderson22 »

I watched his pro day and didn't think it was all that bad, much better than Teddy's, i also put a lot of stock into a qb when he plays tough competition, zach lit up Alabama and other big schools. He is def worthy of a 2nd pick, does anyone know what he scored on the wonderlick? Not that it matters much but I wouldn't touch teddy in the 2nd round.