Your top 5 favorite and least favorite Vikings

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

AP_AD28
Rookie

Your top 5 favorite and least favorite Vikings

Post by AP_AD28 »

It was nearly impossible to narrow down my top 5 favorite Vikings, but I thought it would be fun to see everyones least favorite and why...keep in mind that ive only been alive for 22 years, so my list may be different than others

Favorite:
1. AD- it pretty much has to be
2. Antoine Winfield- small dude with some serious balls, and very humble
3. Jared Allen- going back to the mullet days, and roping the calf. classic JA
4. Jimmy Kleinsasser- I mean...he just looked like a Viking, and hes from UND
5. The Williams Wall- Fat Pat was like 500 lbs and could run down screens like a champ, and KWill was always just super relaxed and chompin on that gum

Notables-
Randy Moss/Cris Carter- both exciting to watch, but were such huge idiots
Harrison Smith- too new still, yet hes flying up the board
Chester Taylor- never complained, but was ol reliable
EJ Henderson- wasnt an excellent player, but could lay the boom
Darren Sharper- one of my favorite players and now hes a rapist...

Least Favorites:
1. Onterrio "the Wizzinator" Smith- not much explanation needed
2. Fred Smoot- toast...
3. Chris Cook- cooked...
4. Troy Williamson- he looked back for the ball as much as Chris Cook did...and ill never forget that deep pass that hit him in the back of the head
5. Erasmus James- fellow 1st rounder with Williamson, and even lesser impact

Notables:
Christian Ponder- I tried so hard to leave him out of my top 5, with all the hate surrounding him, in reality he did flash some plays here and there to keep my interest for a while
Brooks Bollinger- fumbles another snap
Nate Dorsey- worst tackle in Vikings history *insert whistle noise* false start
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Your top 5 favorite and least favorite Vikings

Post by Funkytown »

Funny comments. :thumbsup:
King James
All Pro Elite Player

Post by King James »

Favorites
1. Randy Moss
2. Adrian Peterson
3. Duante Culpepper
4. Jared Allen
5. Pat Williams

Least

1. Percy Harvin
2. Chris Kluwe
3. Tarvaris Jackson
4. Gary Anderson
5. Erin Henderson
Beo
Backup

Post by Beo »

Going to break the rules and post my top 5 favorite Offensive players and top 5 Defensive players of all time and then just my top 5 most hated.

Top 5 favorite Offense:

1) Adrian Peterson
2) Anthony Carter
3) Randy Moss
4) Steve Jordan
5) Randall Mcdaniel

Top 5 favorite Defense:

1) Chris Doleman
2) Joey Browner
3) Scott Studwell
4) John Randle
5) Keith Millard

Top 5 most hated:

1) Bryant Mckinnie
2) Chris Cook
3) Fred Smoot
4) Derrick Alexander
5) Troy Williamson
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

and the purple people eaters don't make the defensive list, come on?

1. Randy Moss
2. Cris Carter
3. Adrian Peterson
4. Brett Favre
5. Anthony Carter

most hated i could come up with probably 20. williamson and ponder have to be at or near the top considering where we picked them. i would also include the entire 2000 secondary (and most of the defense that allowed 41 points) all on the list.
Loki
Veteran

Post by Loki »

Good idea thinking of this, we need to post more stuff like this because i'm literally going insane waiting for the draft to come.

Favorites:

1. Randy Moss: He was the best and he knew it, he wasn't afraid to let anyone else know it either. His rookie year was when i really began to love football and Vikings specifically. I had watched passively for a few years but when I saw him and Carter tearing up defenses I was hooked. can't wait till our offense is like that again.

2. Fran Tarkenton: Even though i'm 24 I've had plenty of time to go back back and watch his highlights along with a number of game footage. I came away amazed at how far ahead of his time he was. He has the same "never let a play die" mentality and second nature to scramble that I love so much in Manziel. Still amazes me he never won a superbowl.

3. Cris Carter: Like I said before him and Randy made me love football, I played WR in highschool because of those two. Love his sure hands and the way he took randy under his wing and taught him the ropes, also like that he reps the vikings on ESPN now.

4. Adrian Peterson: Usually I like players who are more on the cocky side but I can't help but love peterson. He's allways positive about the team (something randy let me down on on occasion). He's carried our team through a lot and I think he'll be the best running back ever by the time he walks away from football.

5. Cordarrelle Patterson: Too many Recievers? naahh. He's a superfreak just like Moss was and he wears Randy's number because that was his favorite player growing up. I love his kid like enthusiasm for the game. He still has a long way to go but I think if we get a QB he'll be a beast for years to come.

honorable mention: The next QB we draft, John Randle, Chris Hovan, Jermaine Wiggins (Hurdles), Duante Cullpepper, Antoine Winfield.

Least Favorites:

1. Christian Ponder: The hate is so strong because I truly believed he was going to be good, and even when I started to question it I'd tell myself give him a chance... he just needs more time to learn... well... more time has come and passed and he still makes some of the most idiotic plays i've ever seen. The worst of it all though isn't his play, I could tolerate the play if he humbly addmited his mistakes and did his best to fix them, it's the way he tries to act cool and funny and says all his mistakes are fixable and the coaching staff just goes along with it cause they don't wanna hurt his feelings. I could rant for a long time on him but i'm gunna move on before I get too worked up......... lol

2. Troy Williamson: I knew he wouldn't be able to replace Randy but i had good hope he'd be able to shoulder some of the load. Had all the speed in the world but two left feet for hands. I still remember him going to some Nike Vision Center and me thinking that he'd come back strong that season...... nope.

3. Chris Cook: Solid in coverage..... till the balls thrown at him, then he can't tell up from down.... LITERALLY, google his name and look at some of the positions he's in when they catch the ball on him..... either he's on the ground or he's running straight and the guys turned around draped all over him catching the ball.

4. Darren Sharper: Loved his interceptions when he played for us but he never really seemed like a true viking, just a packer playing for the Vikings. I felt the same way about Farve until he shattered that with the hail mary against the 49rs. Now it comes out that Sharper drugged and raped a bunch of women.... yup definitely a true packer.

5 Bobby Wade/Travis Taylor/Marcus Robinson/Michael Jenkins: After becoming accustom to seeing some of the best wide revievers in the history of the game I naturally hated the mediocrity that followed, right or wrong. especially Bobby Wade and Michael Jenkins, those guys shouldn't have been on NFL rosters and somehow they got playing time with us.

No honorable mention here, I try my best not to hate players, likely if they suck and are put in a position to play that's more the GM's and coaches fault than anything. The top 3 I genuinely do hate though because of the expectations I had for them and all they've done for me is leave me yelling at my television.
ON TO VALHALLA
majorm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by majorm »

I prefer the term, "Long-time fan" to "Old-timer" but that's just me.

You can tell the youngsters who weren't around for the Super Bowl years. No list like this could be compiled without at least some of those guys. Unless of course, you never saw them play and have no clue what you missed.

I do have an idea for those people. It's called YouTube. Go search Fran Tarkenton, Chuck Foreman, The Purple People Eaters and Joe Kapp just to name a few.

I like the idea of breaking it down to Offense and Defense. Tough to name just five and I'm sure my list will surprise many.

Offense:

1. Chuck Foreman. Notice the avatar? (A total offensive machine. Would be in the HOF if he would have played a little longer. My favorite player ever)

2. Cris Carter (A little faster and Jerry Rice is the #2 receiver of all-time)

3. Adrian (No explanation needed)

4. Robert Smith (Just loved this guy. Great player and so classy)

5. Sammie White (He won't make anyone else's list but I fell in love with him. Brought a new dimension to the team in 1976. Another guy who was great but for a relatively short time and isn't remembered as fondly as he probably should be)

Defense:

1. Alan Page. No debate for me here. (Just a beast. First ever defensive player named league MVP)

2. John Randle (Just never stopped)

3. Ed McDaniel (Again, I just liked this guy and I'm sure he'll only be on my list)

4. Jared Allen (I wanted the Vikings to do whatever it took to get him and he didn't disappoint)

5. Carl Eller (Great player. Great leader. For us "long-timers;" remember the blackboard??)

Least favorite:

1-3: Christian Ponder

4-5: Tavaris Jackson
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

:lol:

This thread could have been titled "List your top 5 favorite and your 4 least favorite Vikings plus Christian Ponder".

The first part of this task is almost impossible. I'd have a hard time just picking my favorite defensive linemen in Vikings history. Oh well, here we go...

Favorite Vikings
1.) Alan Page — my favorite player of all time and the best defensive lineman I've ever seen (although Reggie White was pretty amazing and I'm biased)!
2.) Carl Eller — another key "purple people eater" and one of the toughest football players of all time.
3.) Adrian Peterson — for obvious reasons , this choice needs no explanation.
4.) Cris Carter — for his passion, leadership and an incredible number of amazing catches
5.) Dave Osborn — Because he was a "high effort" guy and my favorite player when I was a little kid. I wrote to him back then and he sent me an autographed picture... free! Consequently, he has to make the top five.

I could list dozens of honorable mentions.

As for the next category... there have been lots of failed draft picks and disappointing players over the years but ultimately, I'm indifferent to most of them. I didn't care about many of them enough for them to be my least favorite players, if that makes any sense. Consequently, I've also forgotten about most of the players from the '70s and '80s who might have fallen into that category for me.

Least Favorite Vikings (in no particular order)
Brett Favre — Because I didn't want him to be a Viking in the first place, keeping him on the roster for two years was destructive and he brought a freakin' circus with him.

Randy Moss — At one point, he seemed like a shoo-in to be one of my all-time favorites (I even bought his jersey) but after watching him give no effort at all on a crucial play at Soldier Field and watching him behave like a tool again and again, he joined the ranks of my least favorite Vikes.

Fred Smoot— He was burned way too often and his role in the "Love Boat" scandal seals the deal.

Bryant McKinnie — A putz with all the talent in the world who frequently gave half-hearted efforts and whose role in the Love Boat scandal and inability to stay out of trouble also lands him here.

Onterrio Smith — Another player with loads of talent who was too dumb to stay out of trouble.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Favorite:
  1. Chuck Foreman. One of the most gifted pass receiving RBs ever.
  2. Alan Page. MVP.
  3. Randall McDaniel. Hard to choose just one O lineman, as the Vikings have had so many great ones.
  4. Joey Browner. One of the NFL's great safeties, now all but forgotten.
  5. Randy Moss.
Least Favorite:
  1. Bryant McKinnie.
  2. Bryant McKinnie.
  3. Bryant McKinnie.
  4. Bryant McKinnie.
  5. Bryant McKinnie.
Can't think of anyone else to make this list who even comes close. You can't honestly blame guys like Troy Williamson or Dimitrius Underwood for being busts. The guys who were responsible for drafting either of them, however, should have been flogged in public.
AP_AD28
Rookie

Post by AP_AD28 »

It was late when I made this post, yet I still can't believe I completely forgot about T-Jack. Throw him up as my #5 most hated! And no love for Kleinsasser?? C'mon, you know you got pumped up every time that ogre had the ball even if it was once every 3 games
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Here's one I'd almost forgotten about (I'll leave it to the reader to speculate which list he'd be on): Bernard Berrian.
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

BEST VIKES-
AP
RObert Smith....a great RB, even afer 2 rebuilt knees, good human being, Gave us his all
Chris Dolman
Joey Browner
JA

WORST-

HERSCHEL WALKER....by a frikkin country mile....his useless carcass decimated our team for YEARS.
C Ponder......because his failure was during a critical point in the career of our BEST player...and he sux
Les Steckle......he was an embarassment
Loki
Veteran

Post by Loki »

Purplemania wrote:Damn Loki, CP83 is already on yoru top 5 all time Vikings list? Haha, and I thought I was a big fan.
Ya man, I considered a lot of other people for that spot and it came down to him. I thought maybe cullpepper but that was more a love for Moss than him. I also thought about Winfield but I was always 50/50 on him, on one hand he'd sack the quarterback, make him fumble, pick up the ball and run it for a TD, on the other hand he plays cornerback and he got beat in coverage way more than I'd like. The only person who came close was John Randle but I didn't really have the appreciation for defense that I do now when I was watching him play.

P.S. Its CP84 not CP83
ON TO VALHALLA
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Top 5 (I've seen play in my lifetime)

1. Adrian Peterson
2. Cris Carter
3. Anthony Carter
4. Jared Allen
5. John Randle

Honorable mention: Joey Browner, Antoine Winfield, Robert Smith, Keith Millard, Chris Doleman, Al Noga, Mike Merriweather, Jake Reed, Steve Jordan, Jack Del Rio, Terry Allen, Qadry Ismail, Jim McMahon, Kirk Lowdermilk, Hassan Jones, Korey Stringer, Kevin Williams, Pat Williams, Jim Kleinsasser the Flying 'Sausser, Steve Hutchinson

Bottom 5 (I've seen "play" in my lifetime)

1. Bernard Berrian
2. Bryant McKinnie
3. Naufahu Tahi
4. Troy Williamson
5. Ryan Cook
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
KSViking
Veteran

Post by KSViking »

Top 5
1. John Randle - Just a Beast. Thought he was maybe a little insane, but that was part of his game.
2. Jared Allen - Great Pass Rusher, and always love players that push the crowd to get into the game, gets his team mates fired up.
3. Randle McDaniel - When we had McDaniel and Zimmerman on the left side, could move mountains
4. Adrian Peterson - Best RB I have watched in my time
5t. Randy Moss - The margins by which he was beating the DBs was amazing.
5t. Steve Hutchinson - Another guy who just won most of his battles, and made the line as a whole great.

Bottom 5
1. Fred Smoot - Love boat, and horrible play on the field. He had the very opposite effect that "great leaders" have on their teams.
2. Herchal Walker - Even though it wasn't HIS fault. We handed the Cowgirls 3 titles and a Dynasty instead of being able to build one ourselves.
3. Troy Williamson - Just couldn't fill the shoes of the guys he was meant to replace.
4. Tavaris Jackson - Just hate watching Vikings ride a failed QB for years. Seems everyone else in the world understands they suck before the Vikes management
5. Christian Ponder - See #4

As a Side Note - I have a love/hate of Cris Carter. Loved his play and reliability on the field. But hated his whining.