Vikings sign WR Lestar Jean

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Vikings sign WR Lestar Jean

Post by Mothman »

Loki
Veteran

Post by Loki »

I don't really like this signing. It's not that Jean is a bad player, its just that the Vikings already have 4 proven recievers with Rodney Smith being a developmental guy with a lot of upside. Lestar Jean will likely come in and compete with Adam Thielen, and Kamar Jorden for a special teams/bench position. I just think with that being the situation and WR's not usually being the best special teams guys (unless they return kicks which Jean doesn't) we would've been a lot better off bringing in another safety or linebacker.
ON TO VALHALLA
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Championship!
King James
All Pro Elite Player

Post by King James »

Who?
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Loki wrote:I don't really like this signing. It's not that Jean is a bad player, its just that the Vikings already have 4 proven recievers with Rodney Smith being a developmental guy with a lot of upside. Lestar Jean will likely come in and compete with Adam Thielen, and Kamar Jorden for a special teams/bench position. I just think with that being the situation and WR's not usually being the best special teams guys (unless they return kicks which Jean doesn't) we would've been a lot better off bringing in another safety or linebacker.
Signing Jean doesn't prevent them from doing that and as 80 PurplePride 84 wrote, it's good to create competition.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Lestar Jean has 10 career receptions in 3 seasons as a Texan. I doubt that Rodney Smith will lose any sleep over this signing.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/p ... anLe01.htm
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Eli wrote:Lestar Jean has 10 career receptions in 3 seasons as a Texan. I doubt that Rodney Smith will lose any sleep over this signing.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/p ... anLe01.htm
I don't know... that's 10 more NFL receptions than Rodney has on his resumé. He might be worried. ;)
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

We should just all be thankful that they didn't sign another defensive tackle.
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

don't see much logic in this move at all :roll:
Loki
Veteran

Post by Loki »

I know what competition is and I understand that its good for the team....... Exactly why I want Competition at linebacker or strong safety, positions that aren't 4-5 deep and we could actually use help at. I also understand we can still get help there in FA or the draft........ but all these pointless signings add up to the difference between bringing back Kevin Williams for a strong rotation at DT or having a good camp battle between players who will never see the field.
ON TO VALHALLA
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

They have to end up with 90 players going into camp. They had 65 and will pick up another 18 or so from the draft and undrafted college players. They have to find bodies somewhere just to fill the practice fields at camp.

My guess is that one of the coaches knew this guy in a past life. Could be an assistant coach coached him in college. There's likely some connection.
Loki
Veteran

Post by Loki »

doesn't necessarily have to be Kevin Williams either, just the first name that came to mind that could actually play and help us. A more enticing name to me would be Pat Angerer, he started his rookie season at MLB for the colts and had 88 tackles and followed it up with 148 tackles his second year. stuggled with injuries but when he's healthy is a solid player and would make for great competition and would be a stud on special teams.
ON TO VALHALLA
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Kevin Williams is long gone. Unless they get into camp and find that the guys they have aren't quite what they'd hoped (and given the names signed so far and those left over from last year, that's a distinct possibility).
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

Rather have Greg Childs.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Loki wrote:I don't really like this signing. It's not that Jean is a bad player, its just that the Vikings already have 4 proven recievers with Rodney Smith being a developmental guy with a lot of upside. Lestar Jean will likely come in and compete with Adam Thielen, and Kamar Jorden for a special teams/bench position. I just think with that being the situation and WR's not usually being the best special teams guys (unless they return kicks which Jean doesn't) we would've been a lot better off bringing in another safety or linebacker.
I don't get what the big deal is. It's nothing but a depth signing. Do we really need another safety on this roster?? We currently have 6 and will probably draft 1. We are also going to be gunning for LB's in the draft. Signing a guy like Jean would allow us to focus even less on WR in the draft. My guess is we won't end up drafting one at all.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri