Defensive Line Leagues Best ?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

jackal
Strong Safety

Defensive Line Leagues Best ?

Post by jackal »

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2011 ... -nfls-best

good read and had some interesting thoughts and stats on the newly formed D line from last year.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
S197
Fenrir

Re: Defensive Line Leagues Best ?

Post by S197 »

jackal wrote:http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2011 ... -nfls-best

good read and had some interesting thoughts and stats on the newly formed D line from last year.
Good article. They certainly have a lot of money (20%) invested in the D-line so hopefully it pays off.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

jackal wrote:http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2011 ... -nfls-best

Thank you for posting the link. This line has the potential to be a top five DL and has a lot to do with the development of Floyd and how well the defensive backs cover allowing the line to penetrate into the backfield and getting to the QB. I would liked to have seen Robison post more sacks but he did lead the league in QB hurries (which is a great indicator of his skill set in rushing the QB). A great DL can make up for a lot of deficiencies in a linebacking crew.
I am expecting huge things from not only the DL but from the entire defense!!
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

I'm sure hoping so. Nothing's ever been won on paper though, so Zimmer needs to coach these boys up to do some damage. Oh, the possibilities...
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

Thanks for the link, that was a good read. I for one cannot wait for the season to start. lol, not that is any different from any other year. But this year seems more promising than recent years. The draft could be a boon for the Vikings. The team could be as much as 75% better already.
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

CbusVikesFan wrote:Thanks for the link, that was a good read. I for one cannot wait for the season to start. lol, not that is any different from any other year. But this year seems more promising than recent years. The draft could be a boon for the Vikings. The team could be as much as 75% better already.
I'm eager for it to start, as always, but nervous too. In the past, fate hasn't been kind to NFL teams temporarily playing in college stadiums and there's often an adjustment period as a team makes a transition to the schemes and ways of a new coaching staff. Add in uncertainty at QB and in a few other key areas and I don't know whether to expect a satisfying season under a new head coach or another rough year for the Vikes.

Hopefully, we're in for the former. :)
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Mothman wrote: I'm eager for it to start, as always, but nervous too. In the past, fate hasn't been kind to NFL teams temporarily playing in college stadiums and there's often an adjustment period as a team makes a transition to the schemes and ways of a new coaching staff. Add in uncertainty at QB and in a few other key areas and I don't know whether to expect a satisfying season under a new head coach or another rough year for the Vikes.

Hopefully, we're in for the former. :)
That is true but as Zimmer mentioned and I believe it, it will be an advantage for the Vikes who would/should be more acclimated to playing there than their opponents. This is a new team new coach and new attitude....hopefully :rock:

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Purple bruise wrote:That is true but as Zimmer mentioned and I believe it, it will be an advantage for the Vikes who would/should be more acclimated to playing there than their opponents. This is a new team new coach and new attitude....hopefully :rock:
New team, new coach, new attitude... but the players will still have to be up to the task. Hopefully, they will be and hopefully, they'll adjust quickly to playing at TCF Bank Stadium and it will be a real home field advantage for them for a couple of years. Maybe us long-time fans will get to experience a few pleasant "flashbacks" to the '70s Vikes that dominated opponents in Metropolitan Stadium.

Of course, if they do well outside, we won't want them to move back inside. :)
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

I'll believe it when I see it. I certainly don't see much of an upgrade in talent. Linval Joseph is a 2nd or 3rd tier defensive tackle in this league. And it puts a lot of hope in the development of Sharrif Floyd. The only thing I see as improvements are that they're getting younger and maybe more balanced with a true nose tackle in Joseph. Brian Robison is a solid, if unspectacular DE and Everson Griffen is still a long way from proving himself to be an elite pass rusher in a full time role.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Mothman wrote: New team, new coach, new attitude... but the players will still have to be up to the task. Hopefully, they will be and hopefully, they'll adjust quickly to playing at TCF Bank Stadium and it will be a real home field advantage for them for a couple of years. Maybe us long-time fans will get to experience a few pleasant "flashbacks" to the '70s Vikes that dominated opponents in Metropolitan Stadium.

Of course, if they do well outside, we won't want them to move back inside. :)
Hey Jim we could break out some glass at the new stadium :lol:

720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

League's most untested DL is more like it.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk
AP_AD28
Rookie

Post by AP_AD28 »

They were mediocre before they lost Jared Allen. Although I think they could be very good and on the rise, it would be tough to call them the best.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Purple bruise wrote:Hey Jim we could break out some glass at the new stadium :lol:
To keep it an outdoor stadium? :lol: Whatever it takes to win!
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

720pete wrote:League's most untested DL is more like it.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk
I don't see them as untested at all. They may lack chemistry but Robison are Joseph and both productive starters. Griffen while only a backup has shown he can be a playmaker. It's really only Floyd that seems untested to me.
KSViking
Veteran

Post by KSViking »

Eli wrote:I'll believe it when I see it. I certainly don't see much of an upgrade in talent. Linval Joseph is a 2nd or 3rd tier defensive tackle in this league. And it puts a lot of hope in the development of Sharrif Floyd. The only thing I see as improvements are that they're getting younger and maybe more balanced with a true nose tackle in Joseph. Brian Robison is a solid, if unspectacular DE and Everson Griffen is still a long way from proving himself to be an elite pass rusher in a full time role.
For what he does, and is expected of him, Joseph is a top Tier DT. He is a 1 technique, they rarely get the accolades that the Dominant 3 technique guys do. Robison, while "only" registering 9.5 sacks last year, was also in top 5 of QB disruptions. You don't have to sack a QB, in order to get a win on the play. He has been in top 10 for tipped passes for 2 years now. He will have to adjust to Zimmers way of playing DE now, so maybe that will bring a downturn of production, but we will see. Floyd and Griffen both have a lot to prove this year, as they are both going to be starting in some big shoes. We will see, but I think there is alot of potential for this years line. And I think the addition of Joseph is going to be a major difference