Defensive Line Leagues Best ?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Defensive Line Leagues Best ?

Post by Purple bruise »

Slick Rick wrote: Let's get a few things straight, Demiboy. All NFL talent evaluators are better at what they do than fans who discuss things based off what little they know on a message board. That's why they're evaluating talent for a living, and the fans are posting their opinions on message boards. Until then, we argue based off of what we know. I happen to use facts when I discuss such issues. Now I can respect an opinion, there's nothing wrong with you having one. Heck, everyone has one. Opinions don't hold up all that well in arguments unless there's a certain logic to them. Unfortunately "New York released Joseph, therefore he isn't elite" is a little b&w for my taste, and that's why I dismissed your opinion.

Come back with some facts and maybe I'll take your argument a little more seriously.
I have to agree with you but you are "fighting a losing battle" when you try and rationally explain things to some naysayers who seem to delight in being negative about any and all things Viking related.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

This line is so untested that such articles are just a lot of conjecture. BUT, hey, its long off season and they have to write something.....Either way, I am fairly certain that this D-Line will get a TON of time to show their stuff because our Offense wont be on the field very long. We either have NO QB (ie...back to our failed choices from last year) or a rookie draft choice that we throw in there and start praying over.....I would be more optimistic if we spent a fortune on some Bulldozers for the OL so AP can carry the team again but so far I don't see that.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Eh, I think it would be a stretch to even label this team's defensive line as top five in the league on paper. This line has the potential to be an elite defensive line however. I am very much looking forward to seeing what Sharrif Floyd, Everson Griffen, Linval Joseph, and Brain Robison can accomplish as a unit.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Slick Rick wrote: Let's get a few things straight, Demiboy. All NFL talent evaluators are better at what they do than fans who discuss things based off what little they know on a message board. That's why they're evaluating talent for a living, and the fans are posting their opinions on message boards. Until then, we argue based off of what we know. I happen to use facts when I discuss such issues. Now I can respect an opinion, there's nothing wrong with you having one. Heck, everyone has one. Opinions don't hold up all that well in arguments unless there's a certain logic to them. Unfortunately "New York released Joseph, therefore he isn't elite" is a little b&w for my taste, and that's why I dismissed your opinion.

Come back with some facts and maybe I'll take your argument a little more seriously.
OH, so you're comparing Slick Rick to the the population of the United States of America! We agree then. He is "elite". Compared to you, me, and the other millions. So is Joseph!

I was under the impression we were comparing Joseph to other NFL defensive tackles, and your hero Rick Spielman to other NFL General Managers. Where they both fall into about the middle of the pack, at the very best. But now that you've cleared it up I understand where you're coming from.

Yep, both elite compared to the general population....
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

Eli wrote: Yeah, the Giants didn't seem to make much effort to keep Joseph's services. At just 25 years old and a former 2nd round pick, what's the deal?

Some comments from Giants fans:

> Why are people calling losing Joseph a big loss?
> He was a solid player. Nothing special at all.

> I'm very confident that Hankins will be a better player than Joseph

> I’m not a big Joseph fan but it seems that even I overvalued him.
I think you'll see similar opinions about anyone that leaves a team from the fans that follow said team. One thing that I almost always do is look at other team's message boards when I want to get the vibe on a player I'm not completely familiar with. It gives a decent perspective, and while you're correct there are definitely a large portion of Giants fans who feel this way about Joseph, a majority seem to wish they had not let him go or believe he was a good player but feel that Hankins is a capable replacement. But I think the most important thing is to not look what they think once he's left (as fans tend to try to rationalize each move their favorite team makes as best they can), but look at what the Giants fans wanted to do with Joseph before free agency began. And the vast majority wanted Joseph to be their priority in free agency. I think that speaks a lot about the guy.