Zimmer prepping for TCF Bank Stadium

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Zimmer prepping for TCF Bank Stadium

Post by Mothman »

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_ ... nk-stadium
To that end, Zimmer has already started the process of preparing for the Vikings' two years outdoors. He told reporters at the NFL owners meetings last week he had talked to St. Louis Rams coach Jeff Fisher about his time with the Tennessee Titans, when the team spent its first two years at the Liberty Bowl and Vanderbilt Stadium, and is researching the issues other teams faced in similar situations (the Seattle Seahawks played at the University of Washington in 2000 and 2001 while CenturyLink Field was being built, and the Chicago Bears spent 2002 at the University of Illinois while Soldier Field was renovated). Zimmer also said he'll talk to Gophers coach Jerry Kill about cold-weather games he's experienced at the stadium in the past.

"I'll try to take those things (that happened to teams in the past) and hopefully not run into those issues," he said. "Most of these NFL guys probably don't want to go in and play at a college stadium, I would assume. They're used to playing in the pros, even though it's a great stadium. If we can get that to be a big advantage for us, that can really help us, if I can figure out all those other things."
More at the link.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Zimmer prepping for TCF Bank Stadium

Post by Purple bruise »

The more that I read and see about Coach Zimmer the more I like. :rock:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

In my opinion, the Vikings have only had one really good coach in their history and that was Grant. Maybe now there is a second one. :)

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
King James
All Pro Elite Player

Post by King James »

Purple bruise wrote:In my opinion, the Vikings have only had one really good coach in their history and that was Grant. Maybe now there is a second one. :)
I thought Dennis Green was a really good coach here too. He got us to the playoffs 8 times, out of the 10 seasons he coached here. We just couldn't demonstrate the same dominance we had during the season into the postseason. Similar issue we had with Bud Grant, except he atleast got us to the super bowl a few times.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I wanted Zimmer right from the start the fact that Parcells and Bellicheck were so high on this hiring leads me to believe
the Vikings finally got themselves a good coach.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

King James wrote: I thought Dennis Green was a really good coach here too. He got us to the playoffs 8 times, out of the 10 seasons he coached here. We just couldn't demonstrate the same dominance we had during the season into the postseason. Similar issue we had with Bud Grant, except he atleast got us to the super bowl a few times.
It is hard for me to mention Green in the same sentence as Grant. Most coaches, including Brian Billick, would have done at least as well with all of the talent that was on those Viking teams as Green did. I am not discounting Green's accomplishments but he is not someone that I would proclaim as being a really good coach. Certainly not any where close to a hall of fame coach such as Bud Grant.

Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Purple bruise wrote: It is hard for me to mention Green in the same sentence as Grant. Most coaches, including Brian Billick, would have done at least as well with all of the talent that was on those Viking teams as Green did. I am not discounting Green's accomplishments but he is not someone that I would proclaim as being a really good coach. Certainly not any where close to a hall of fame coach such as Bud Grant.
The insinuation being that Grant had all of his success with talent deficient teams?

I bet Grant had a really hard time coaching up his squads ... especially that 69' team.
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

Denny Green wet his pants EVERY time he got into an important moment, especially in the playoffs. if it was fourth and short, especially in the redzone, he ALWAYS went with a run up the middle...always. It cost us way too many critical games. He had no guts to call anything remotely risky and the whole league knew it.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Cliff wrote: The insinuation being that Grant had all of his success with talent deficient teams?

I bet Grant had a really hard time coaching up his squads ... especially that 69' team.
Do you think that that is why he is in the Hall of Fame because of the players or do you imagine that he was an outstanding coach?
That being said, Green had as many all pros playing on his team (1998) than any other team that the Vikings fielded IMO

Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

chicagopurple wrote:Denny Green wet his pants EVERY time he got into an important moment, especially in the playoffs. if it was fourth and short, especially in the redzone, he ALWAYS went with a run up the middle...always. It cost us way too many critical games. He had no guts to call anything remotely risky and the whole league knew it.
As I said earlier, IMO he does not even faintly compare to Bud Grant.

PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Very smart and well-thought out by Zimmer. That kind of attention to detail in prepartaion and just overall is a huge plus for any coach and/or player for that matter.

I was excited about the two years outdoors. I felt it could serve as a huge advantage if the team went about it the right way and I think this is the first step to that. The hope remains.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

PacificNorseWest wrote:Very smart and well-thought out by Zimmer. That kind of attention to detail in prepartaion and just overall is a huge plus for any coach and/or player for that matter.

I was excited about the two years outdoors. I felt it could serve as a huge advantage if the team went about it the right way and I think this is the first step to that. The hope remains.
Good for you. I can't but help but be a lot less optimistic, given our recent ineptness outdoors. It's true that there's been some player turnover and Zimmer will undoubtedly put his stamp on this team, but I fear there will be a lingering tendency to not play well outdoors. I think by the time they get used to it, it will be time to move back indoors! As grouchy as it sounds, it feels like the most likely scenario to me.

Man is it going to feel weird for them to NOT be in the dome!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote:Good for you. I can't but help but be a lot less optimistic, given our recent ineptness outdoors. It's true that there's been some player turnover and Zimmer will undoubtedly put his stamp on this team, but I fear there will be a lingering tendency to not play well outdoors. I think by the time they get used to it, it will be time to move back indoors! As grouchy as it sounds, it feels like the most likely scenario to me.

Man is it going to feel weird for them to NOT be in the dome!
It will be weird but it might be kind of refreshing too.

My trepidation about the displaced Vikes is based more on the way other teams have fared in these temporary stadium situations than on playing outdoors. I attribute the Vikings poor record outdoors in recent years much more to a.) the fact that they just haven't been all that good as a team and b.) that all of those outdoor games were road games. It's tough to win on the road and mediocre-to-bad teams usually don't do much of it.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

It's going to be a rough two years, no question. The team is completely rebuilding, has a new coaching staff and is moving to an outdoor college field, all at the same time. The smaller open air stadium, with a smaller home crowd and completely different acoustics means that there's not going to be the same noise factor. Any home field advantage is going to be largely diminished.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Purple bruise wrote: Do you think that that is why he is in the Hall of Fame because of the players or do you imagine that he was an outstanding coach?
That being said, Green had as many all pros playing on his team (1998) than any other team that the Vikings fielded IMO
I think that a coach, regardless of how outstanding, won't make it to the hall of fame without good players. To say that any coach isn't as good because he "had good players" is kind of silly. And I think you'll get plenty of argument from people about the talent on the 98 team Vs. some of the other teams. The 69 team in particular sent all 4 members of the defense line to the pro bowl.

Anyway, I'm not sure that just any coach would have had the same success as Green especially over the span of a decade ... sometimes it's the right mix of players, coaching, and personality and I think you're making it sound much easier than it is. Especially considering the Vikings haven't fielded a consistently winning team since Green. Which, if you're checking your watch, was 13 years ago.