Zimmer prepping for TCF Bank Stadium

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

King James
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Zimmer prepping for TCF Bank Stadium

Post by King James »

Making a fool of myself? I think not. While you're playing cheerleader for everyone who has made a counter argument against me, I still refuse to accept 4 blowout losses at the super bowl as "greatness."
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Purple bruise wrote:Bottum line King is you think Grant was the Vikings best coach ever. That he was not a great coach because he never won a Super Bowl. You say that the only time that YOU ever hear anyone calling him a great coach is from Viking fans and no one else. You discount the fact that he won 11 division titles and went to 4 Super Bowls. Even though he was enshrined into the NFL Hall of Fame ( voted in by non Viking fans, for the most part) that still means little enough for you to admit that Bud Grant was/is a GREAT coach. Fine, you are entitled to your belief.
I am done with the issue :yawn:
As I previously tried to explain, you believe that he is not a great coach because he never won a Super Bowl and I and the vast majority of fans, players, coaches, Hall of Fame Voters seem to strongly disagree. Obviously you do not want to put an end to this so have fun but to me it seems quite foolish to keep hashing over the same points.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

King James wrote:Making a fool of myself? I think not. While you're playing cheerleader for everyone who has made a counter argument against me, I still refuse to accept 4 blowout losses at the super bowl as "greatness."
Calling a 16-6 score a "blowout loss" is really stretching the definition of "blowout".

Anyway, nobody is asking you to accept any Super Bowl losses as evidence of greatness. We're just telling you that they don't serve as such compelling evidence against it that Grant can't be considered a great coach.

Anyway, the case has been made and you've clearly dug so deeply into your position that you're not going to budge on it so we might as well all just move on.
King James
All Pro Elite Player

Post by King James »

If Bud Grant is so great, why did his offense fail to get any points in the 1st half of all four super bowls? Let me guess it's the players fault and not the "guy" who is responsible for game planning and preparing them. I understand he can't hold their hand during the game but the fact that they struggle to get any points on the board in the 1st half, leaves me to believe he's not a great teacher like a coach supposed to be.

I still believe the cold weather in the Old Met had a lot to do with the team's success. They knew how to adapt to it unlike most teams. Well I guess that's one thing he taught them, how to fight through cold weather. I bet you had he coached in the Metrodome for his whole, we'd probably would have never made it to those 4 super bowls.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

King James wrote:If Bud Grant is so great, why did his offense fail to get any points in the 1st half of all four super bowls?
Because he didn't play offense? ;)
Let me guess it's the players fault and not the "guy" who is responsible for game planning and preparing them.
LOL! Well, the players ARE the ones who actually play the games. As you said, he couldn't hold their hands during games. Players aren't puppets on a coach's strings or pieces he can manipulate on some sort of chess board.
I understand he can't hold their hand during the game but the fact that they struggle to get any points on the board in the 1st half, leaves me to believe he's not a great teacher like a coach supposed to be.
That's hardly a conclusion that can be drawn from 4 games of out an 18 year NFL coaching career. Grant's teams fielded some excellent, innovative offenses.

As I suggested earlier, it's also worth learning more about the Vikings opponents in those Super Bowls. They were excellent teams. That had something to do with the outcomes of those games.
I still believe the cold weather in the Old Met had a lot to do with the team's success. They knew how to adapt to it unlike most teams. Well I guess that's one thing he taught them, how to fight through cold weather. I bet you had he coached in the Metrodome for his whole, we'd probably would have never made it to those 4 super bowls.
It's a bet you'd never win because we're never going to know what would have happened. Grant's teams won a lot of games away from Metropolitan Stadium too.

You still haven't explained just how Grant supposedly failed his teams as a coach in those 4 Super Bowls.
King James
All Pro Elite Player

Post by King James »

Enough about Bud Grant. Here are some pics from minicamp today

Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Zimmer doin' work. Love it! Now I'm excited! :smilevike: