Possible Trade

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Would the Vikings be smart to package Christian Ponder and a 6th round pick for Terrelle Pryor?

Yes
20%
No
80%

Total votes: 45

Loki
Veteran

Possible Trade

Post by Loki »

The Vikings are in desperate need of a young QB with some potential, the fan base has grown tired of mediocrity at the position with no signs of potential growth. While many look to the draft for answers this year is not particularly strong at QB and it's out of our hands (barring a trade up) if we get one of the consensus top QB's. News came out recently that with the signing of Matt Schuab Terrelle Pryor has asked the Oakland Raiders for a trade. Now of course i don't know what his value would be but based on his play assumptions can be made. I like the idea of the Vikings packaging Christian Ponder and a 6th round pick for Terrelle Pryor. Christian has stated his unhappiness with not starting, as has Pryor, so I think a fresh start for both sides would be good. Pryor is an athletic freak at 6'6 230, runs a 4.4 40 and has a very strong arm. He has struggled throwing the ball at times, and while a good portion of that rests on his shoulders there are many factors involved. Raiders offensive line was ranked 29th out of 32 and his receiving core was terrible, Denarious Moore is the best of the bunch and he is wildly inconsistent. With Norvs reputation as a QB guru it makes Pryor a very intriguing prospect. This trade would likely be contingent upon Ponders willingness to restructure his contract, but I just wanted to put it out there and see what everyones opinions are on it.
ON TO VALHALLA
Loki
Veteran

Re: Possible Trade

Post by Loki »

Another positive point I wanted to add was the fact this This would give us two different style Veteran QB's for any rookie we would take to learn from. I think it would be especially helpful if we draft a player like Manziel to get veteran opinions from a pocket QB (what he wants to transition to) and a Mobile QB (what he'll likely succeed with right off the bat).
ON TO VALHALLA
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Ponder will be a waste of space next year and
sit and pout. Would rather it go someone with
an NFL future than Ponder
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
smoothoperator
Transition Player

Post by smoothoperator »

Ponder and Pryor are terrible. Id rather see Freeman get a chance with Norv than either of them
Loki
Veteran

Post by Loki »

smoothoperator thats not even a logical option, Vikings are guaranteed to bring in a rookie at some point in the draft. So under you're assumption either we keep 4 QB's or we cut Christian or Freeman. Christian is guaranteed 3 million and im sure Freeman would get at least a mill. Half of The reason i like trading for Pryor is it gets Ponder off of our team without having to eat his 3 mill. and sorry to break it to you but Freeman is equally as bad, the thing that makes him worse is he doesn't care anymore cuz he's made enough money. His teamates spoke out against him and his work ethic after last season was over... so no Freemans not coming back.
ON TO VALHALLA
NextQuestion
Career Elite Player

Post by NextQuestion »

Oakland already said they'll release him if they cannot find a partner. No!
Pull yr 84 jerseys out.
Loki
Veteran

Post by Loki »

If he's released and we sign him and he beats out ponder for 3rd QB we lose 3 mill because of Ponders Gaurenteed money, hence the trade. And right now I'd say there the same player basically but Pryor is a way more effective runner, less fragile, has shown steady improvement through his playing time, and has a much higher ceiling.
ON TO VALHALLA
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Loki wrote:And right now I'd say there the same player basically
Uh, no they aren't. Their playing styles are considerably different. From a performance standpoint, I'd probably give the nod to Ponder (though I wouldn't want to start either).
but Pryor is a way more effective runner,
Well, yeah. That's his game. He's like a less accurate Vick or more on par with a Joe Webb. He doesn't fit our scheme.
less fragile, has shown steady improvement through his playing time, and has a much higher ceiling.
Pryor has dealt with his share of injuries already (knee injury knocked him out of a handful of games last year) and I question both the "steady improvement" and "higher ceiling" lines. I suppose this might just be another example of a a player being "Not Ponder" and, therefore, a better option.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

The question, as posed, is like asking someone to pick the way they want to SUCK. I demand a higher standard and if those are the kind of choices the Vikes are willing to settle for, they won't be seeing my booty in their stadium seats going forward. Premier talent is what I expect for my hard earned cash and loyalty. I support the Cubs, they are the only loser I have room for in my life. When it comes to the Vikes, I have MUCH higher standards........
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

chicagopurple wrote:I support the Cubs, they are the only loser I have room for in my life.
:lol:
headless_norseman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by headless_norseman »

If Choakland of all losers don't want him, why would we?
A successful coach needs a patient wife, loyal dog, and great quarterback - and not necessarily in that order.

-- Bud Grant
Loki
Veteran

Post by Loki »

dead_poet wrote:Uh, no they aren't. Their playing styles are considerably different. From a performance standpoint, I'd probably give the nod to Ponder (though I wouldn't want to start either.
I never compared there playing styles. I was talking from a performance standpoint. Ponder has had AP, Harvin, Jennings, and Patterson and still sucked. Pryor has had an injured McFadden and Dennarious Moore who would be a #2 WR on most teams, and who would have to compete with Wright for a #3 spot on the Vikes. So when you factor that in... ya performance wise they are basically the same player.
dead_poet wrote:Well, yeah. That's his game. He's like a less accurate Vick or more on par with a Joe Webb. He doesn't fit our scheme.
I can agree with less accuarate Vick, but I think he's shown enough to know he's better than Webb, Webb made plays in preseason games and maybe 1 regular season game. Pryor has started 10 games and Webb has been in a year longer. and I think Norv is experienced enough in this league to accomadate his "scheme" to the skills of his players.
dead_poet wrote:Pryor has dealt with his share of injuries already (knee injury knocked him out of a handful of games last year) and I question both the "steady improvement" and "higher ceiling" lines. I suppose this might just be another example of a a player being "Not Ponder" and, therefore, a better option.
while i agree the injuries are about the same and while both take unnecessary hits i think ponders are because he holds the ball to long, Pryors are because his line sucked so he was forced to run. Not saying he doesnt put himself at risk by his syle, but a lot is do to bad O-line and no running game/being forced to make plays. And yes the main point is that he is "not Ponder", ponder doesn't want to be here, is being paid 3 mill and the fans hate him. so even if you think Pryor is slightly less talented than Ponder :roll: I still don't understand why you wouldn't jump at the chance to get rid of an unhappy player and 3 mill in guaranteed money. Maybe use that money on a free agent who might actually see the field and affect a game.
ON TO VALHALLA
Loki
Veteran

Post by Loki »

you guys seem to be missing the point of the trade... It's to free up the 3 mill guaranteed money Ponder is due this year. While I do like Pryor, he would be nothing more than a camp body with upside who could be cut without taking a big hit. Christian Ponder on the other hand is all but guaranteed to make the roster with his contract. Neither would likely see the field, so all of you are basically just saying you want to pay our 3rd string QB $3 million instead of $700,000.
ON TO VALHALLA
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Loki wrote:I never compared there playing styles. I was talking from a performance standpoint.
You said "They're basically the same." Hard to interpret what you meant.
Ponder has had AP, Harvin, Jennings, and Patterson and still sucked. Pryor has had an injured McFadden and Dennarious Moore who would be a #2 WR on most teams, and who would have to compete with Wright for a #3 spot on the Vikes. So when you factor that in... ya performance wise they are basically the same player.
We'll have to agree to disagree.
but I think he's shown enough to know he's better than Webb, Webb made plays in preseason games and maybe 1 regular season game. Pryor has started 10 games and Webb has been in a year longer.
Webb has only four starts under his belt as a QB compared to 10 for Pryor. Webb also hasn't gotten much opportunity and, obviously, didn't play QB this season. Here are the numbers:

Joe Webb: 88/152 (57.9%), 3 TDs, 5 INTs; 66.6 Rating/ 41 rush attempts, 273 yards, 4 TDs
Terrell Pryor: 170/302 (56.3 %), 9 TDs, 12 INTs, 69.3 Rating/ 93 rush attempts, 627 yards, 3 TDs

There's not much difference.
and I think Norv is experienced enough in this league to accommodate his "scheme" to the skills of his players.
Probably, but he's not going to adapt his system to a dual-threat backup quarterback.
while i agree the injuries are about the same and while both take unnecessary hits i think ponders are because he holds the ball to long, Pryors are because his line sucked so he was forced to run.
And he is more comfortable running than he is in the pocket. His pocket awareness and ability to stay in the pocket rivals Ponder's (which isn't a good thing).
ponder doesn't want to be here
Really? Where has that been reported?
and the fans hate him.
They don't all hate him. There's a difference between preferring he doesn't start another game and hating him. I still think he can be a decent #2, which is probably his ceiling. I don't know if I'd say the same about Pryor from what I've seen. I'd still take Ponder over Tarvaris Jackson, even though it's like choosing between a kick to the left or right testicle.
so even if you think Pryor is slightly less talented than Ponder :roll: I still don't understand why you wouldn't jump at the chance to get rid of an unhappy player and 3 mill in guaranteed money. Maybe use that money on a free agent who might actually see the field and affect a game.
Because I see more value in Ponder as a backup than I do Pryor, especially in Turner's system. And we have no reason to believe Ponder is unhappy. We have ample cap space to sign another free agent, if so inclined.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
headless_norseman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by headless_norseman »

Purplemania wrote:Hellllllllllllllll nnnnnnnoooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

4.) I don't want this franchise to think Pryor could be our QB of the future and neglect drafting a QB this draft (actually my biggest fear).

6.) As someone mentioned, I'd rather just resign Freeman.

Good point on #4.

Hell nooooooooo on point #6!
A successful coach needs a patient wife, loyal dog, and great quarterback - and not necessarily in that order.

-- Bud Grant