Will Vikings Take QB in The 1st Round?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

A.Powell24
Waterboy

Will Vikings Take QB in The 1st Round?

Post by A.Powell24 »

Do you think the Vikings will take a QB in the 1st Round?

Do you think the Vikings will trade up in the 1st Round of the Draft?
JD_Fiction
Backup

Re: Will Vikings Take QB in The 1st Round?

Post by JD_Fiction »

No and No
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

Maybe a QB, maybe but I doubt it. I see no reason to trade up in the draft except to get Clowney or watkins
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Welcome to the Vikings forums!

Right now I'd say the odds are about 60/40 against the Vikings taking a QB in the 1st round. Hard to say who will fall to them at number 8 and how much they like the big 3 (or 4 if you count Carr).

No, they won't move up in the 1st round. If they don't take a QB I can see them dropping down to as low as no. 15 or 16 if the price is right. They can get a great LB or CB in that position.
Last edited by Eli on Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
w_huisman
Transition Player

Post by w_huisman »

Its his first post. Give him the benefit of the doubt.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Sorry, you're right. I didn't see that.
A.Powell24
Waterboy

Post by A.Powell24 »

I found this board a couple of days ago. Started following the Vikings when Joe Kapp was the QB. My whole family attended Cal. I am the black sheep of the clan I went to San Francisco State.

I wanted to find out where the Vikings might be leaning in the draft. I did not mean to upset anyone with my first post.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

A.Powell24 wrote:I found this board a couple of days ago. Started following the Vikings when Joe Kapp was the QB.
Same here. I think it was during the 1968 season, when they went 8-6, the year before they blew up big. Super Bowl IV was quite possibly the worst day of my life. And it totally sucked when they couldn't re-sign Kapp that summer.
My whole family attended Cal. I am the black sheep of the clan I went to San Francisco State.
I always wondered what Cal fans thought of Kapp's tenure as head coach. I didn't really follow it closely at the time.
I wanted to find out where the Vikings might be leaning in the draft. I did not mean to upset anyone with my first post.
You didn't. I apologize for being a jerk.
A.Powell24
Waterboy

Post by A.Powell24 »

Joe Kapp is very much loved at Cal. His tenure as Head Coach had some success. Kapp brought in a no quit attitude. His favorite saying was; "The Bear Will Not Quit The Bear Will Not Die". Kapp reached the pinnacle of his coaching career when he lead the Bears to a 7-4 record and beat Stanford on "The Play" denying John Elway and the Cardinal of a bowl bid.

Kapp also used Bud Grant's playbook from the Vikings during his time at Cal. Finally, the lack of wins caught up with Kapp and he was let go
headless_norseman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by headless_norseman »

I have a feeling they have 1-2 guys spotted for the first rnd, another in the second and 1-2 in the 3rd.
A successful coach needs a patient wife, loyal dog, and great quarterback - and not necessarily in that order.

-- Bud Grant
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

No, i don't think so. I bet there will be talent available at QB in the 2nd or 3rd round.

The media hypes all these QBs up before the draft because everyone want to hear about them. Same thing happened a couple of year ago. Remember when Brad Quinn was projected to go at the beginning of the 1st round and he ended up going 22 overall? Media hypes the QB position.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

I think the QB they really want will be gone by their pick and they'll go defense with the #8 pick.

I then think Rick will trade back into the 1st to get a QB or take one in the 2nd if he thinks the QB will fall that far. I think the Vikings have a high enough 2nd pick to package it with a 5th or 6th to move back up so that might be tempting and we know he's willing to make that kind of move.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Cliff wrote:I think the QB they really want will be gone by their pick and they'll go defense with the #8 pick.

I then think Rick will trade back into the 1st to get a QB or take one in the 2nd if he thinks the QB will fall that far. I think the Vikings have a high enough 2nd pick to package it with a 5th or 6th to move back up so that might be tempting and we know he's willing to make that kind of move.
I'm thinking the same thing, but the question then becomes ... which QBs would the Vikings think are worth doing that for, especially if it means trading away picks to move back into the 1st round? I'm thinking of two: Manziel and Carr. The thought of using multiple picks to draft the first one is especially scary.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Eli wrote: I'm thinking the same thing, but the question then becomes ... which QBs would the Vikings think are worth doing that for, especially if it means trading away picks to move back into the 1st round? I'm thinking of two: Manziel and Carr. The thought of using multiple picks to draft the first one is especially scary.
What are the other options? Wait till the 3rd or 4th to take a guy coming off a serious injury (Mettenberger or Aaron Murray)? Might not be a bad move if we're convinced Cassell is the short term answer anyways.
NextQuestion
Career Elite Player

Post by NextQuestion »

A couple of CBSsports guys STILL think Vikings will go for Carr at #8 overall. They must just be convinced Rick will reach
Pull yr 84 jerseys out.