Haha Clinton-Dix

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Haha Clinton-Dix

Post by Purple bruise »

720pete wrote:What are the difference in skill requirements for FS vs SS?
A strong safety is usually a more physical harder hitting safety (Harrison Smith, Ronnie Lott, Joey Browner) and he lines up on the strong side of the formation, usually where the tight end is at or the side with the most lineman and provides run support or pass coverage for the tightend. The free safety, is usually a little more atheletic, faster and can cover more ground in the secondary. IMO
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

720pete wrote:What are the difference in skill requirements for FS vs SS?
It depends a lot on the system. In a tampa-2/cover-2, for instance, the positions are basically interchangeable as they have similar assignments in coverage. I think under Zimm the roles might be more specific but it's difficult to say what he's going to run at this juncture.
TheCoolerOne
Transition Player

Post by TheCoolerOne »

I think a lot of Clinton-Dix's success was a direct link to his counterpart, Vinnie Sunseri. For those that are wondering, he is a brother/son/part of the Sunseri family that probably rung a bell upon seeing the name.

Sunseri blew out his ACL against Arkansas in October, and I am not checking the stats to see if it supports my claim, but I would bet that Clinton-Dix was much less effective after that. He is kind of a wreckless guy, and that paid off a lot while Sunseri was on the field, because he was like Clinton-Dix's personal janitor.

Always stayed home, made up for his lack of size with his football knowledge, and was always in the right place at the right time because of it.

I'm not trying to hijack this thread and take it to Sunseri land, my point is just that if paired with the right guy, Clinton-Dix would probably look great, but I don't think Harrison Smith is that guy, as he seems to be more of a risk-taker than a stay home kind of guy.

Two risk-taking safeties almost always ends in broken remotes and holes in the wall.

Personally, I want a safety tandem where one is willing to take an equally as important yet unheralded role so the other can shine; a Woody Harrelson to Matthew McConaughey relationship, if you will.
Slick Rick
Transition Player

Post by Slick Rick »

I don't know if he's a good fit. I honestly think that Sendejo could be a hidden gem. He has a seriously tough-nosed style of play, and he seems to always be around the ball. Another thing is that he's HUGE and durable. 6'1, 220 lbs and he never took a play off despite his hard-hitting style. I really like him to take over the spot next year.

I think a base secondary of Rhodes, Smith, Sendejo, and Munnerlyn should be a very formidable unit. With the improved pass rush that I'm expecting, I could easily see a historic turnaround in defensive production.

Now that isn't to say we couldn't use some more secondary help, or that Sendejo is a lock by any means. I don't really think that Dix or any other 1st round secondary talent would be worth the draft pick. I know that the most recent cliche is to "draft the best player available" regardless of need, but that's just the dumbest thing I've ever heard. You draft the best player available if it makes sense, and if the best guy available doesn't make sense, you make a trade. Dix/Dennard/Gilbert/etc don't really fit, and I wouldn't really want the Vikings to draft any one of them. They need to focus on getting the franchise QB before anything else, and with the way free agency turned out I fully expect our first pick to be a QB.

If the Vikings use the #1 on secondary, I'm hoping it's on Gilbert.
KSViking
Veteran

Post by KSViking »

Slick Rick wrote:I don't know if he's a good fit. I honestly think that Sendejo could be a hidden gem. He has a seriously tough-nosed style of play, and he seems to always be around the ball. Another thing is that he's HUGE and durable. 6'1, 220 lbs and he never took a play off despite his hard-hitting style. I really like him to take over the spot next year.

I think a base secondary of Rhodes, Smith, Sendejo, and Munnerlyn should be a very formidable unit. With the improved pass rush that I'm expecting, I could easily see a historic turnaround in defensive production.

Now that isn't to say we couldn't use some more secondary help, or that Sendejo is a lock by any means. I don't really think that Dix or any other 1st round secondary talent would be worth the draft pick. I know that the most recent cliche is to "draft the best player available" regardless of need, but that's just the dumbest thing I've ever heard. You draft the best player available if it makes sense, and if the best guy available doesn't make sense, you make a trade. Dix/Dennard/Gilbert/etc don't really fit, and I wouldn't really want the Vikings to draft any one of them. They need to focus on getting the franchise QB before anything else, and with the way free agency turned out I fully expect our first pick to be a QB.

If the Vikings use the #1 on secondary, I'm hoping it's on Gilbert.
Dix, Gilbert and Dennard are all 3 different types of DBs. I have heard that Dennard is better in Zone, or in something like our old Cover 2 Defense. But saying none of them fit. What type of guy do you think DOES fit, and what attributes does he possess that the guys you think don't fit, don't have?
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

KSViking wrote: Dix, Gilbert and Dennard are all 3 different types of DBs. I have heard that Dennard is better in Zone, or in something like our old Cover 2 Defense. But saying none of them fit. What type of guy do you think DOES fit, and what attributes does he possess that the guys you think don't fit, don't have?
Dennard is a man-to-man corner. Plays physical with really good ball skills. He doesn't have the off the chart athleticism of Gilbert but he has enough straight line speed.