With Webb gone, Griffen last of 2010 draft

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Eli
Hall of Famer

Re: With Webb gone, Griffen last of 2010 draft

Post by Eli »

And Marcus Sherels, who was an undrafted free agent in 2010. IMO, UDFAs are very much a part of the yearly class. They're rare and they're just as much of a feather in someone's cap.
radar55
All Pro Elite Player

Post by radar55 »

Jeffbleedspurple wrote:The 2010 draft wasn't as big of a disaster as this story makes it out to be, Toby Gerhart was a bad selection to start with, but just for reasons of position of need in 2010, a RB was not be big need then.
Actually I think your evaluation of that draft is right on the money. Here it is 4 years later and not a single pick remains......that's pretty much the definition of a disaster if it was supposed to be used to build depth.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

radar55 wrote:Actually I think your evaluation of that draft is right on the money. Here it is 4 years later and not a single pick remains......that's pretty much the definition of a disaster if it was supposed to be used to build depth.
Not a single pick? You mean except for Everson Griffen.

Actually, I doubt if this is very unusual at the four year mark, due to expiration of rookie contracts and free agency. Of the eight Vikings picks, six of the players selected are still in the NFL. That's probably above average after four years. Griffen and Gerhart commanded handsome second contracts, so we know that there were at least two very solid players chosen.

No, it wasn't a great draft, that's for sure. But it wasn't exactly a disaster, either.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Of all the picks in that 2014 draft that make little sense it was the Gerhart trade-and-pick that made none. Why the Vikings took a RB in the 2nd is beyond me to begin with, but then to trade up for the privilege is what really takes the cake. You'd got AD entering the prime of his career. Your real needs at RB are for a change-of-pace scatback and maybe a serviceable runner you can stick in there for 5-8 snaps.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

VikingLord wrote:Of all the picks in that 2014 draft that make little sense it was the Gerhart trade-and-pick that made none. Why the Vikings took a RB in the 2nd is beyond me to begin with, but then to trade up for the privilege is what really takes the cake. You'd got AD entering the prime of his career. Your real needs at RB are for a change-of-pace scatback and maybe a serviceable runner you can stick in there for 5-8 snaps.
Unless , of course, your starter goes down and then you have a change-of-pace scatback who 's wholly inadequate as a starter and a "serviceable" player that represents a huge downgrade in an offense that was predicated on the run.

The decision to draft Gerhart is easy to understand when you consider exactly what was happening with the team at that point. Childress and company were 100% in "win now" mode, hoping to get Favre back for another season and make another run at the Super Bowl. Yes, they had Adrian Peterson in the prime of his career but that also meant their running game was a significant part of their strategy. They obviously wanted a good backup to replace Chester Taylor so that if AD went down with an injury, their Super Bowl plans wouldn't be derailed.

Gerhart was drafted to be an insurance policy. The trade up for him was probably ill-advised but it made sense within the context of what the Vikings thought they could do in 2010.
Unfortunately, the team's whole approach to that season ended up being ill-advised. :(
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

Eli wrote: Not a single pick? You mean except for Everson Griffen.

Actually, I doubt if this is very unusual at the four year mark, due to expiration of rookie contracts and free agency. Of the eight Vikings picks, six of the players selected are still in the NFL. That's probably above average after four years. Griffen and Gerhart commanded handsome second contracts, so we know that there were at least two very solid players chosen.

No, it wasn't a great draft, that's for sure. But it wasn't exactly a disaster, either.
I was curious so I looked at who other NFC North teams drafted in '10. The Packers seem to have done the best job of anyone.

Packers
1. Bryan Bulaga (OL) Still with team, may be a starter next year (Injured reserve in 2013-14 season)
2. Mike Neal (ILB) Still with team, will compete to be a starter next year
3. Morgan Burnett (FS) Still with team, one of best of Packers secondary
4. Andrew Quarless (TE) Still with team, will compete to replace Finley this year
5. Marshall Newhouse (OL) Signed a contract with Bengals, was a starting Offensive lineman for 2 years with Packers
6. James Starks (RB) Still with team, backup to Eddie Lacy
7. C.J. Wilson (DL) Free agent

Bears
1. Major Wright (S) Free Agent (cut by Bears)
2. Corey Wooton (DL) Now playing for Vikes, likely a backup
3. Joshua Moore (CB) Free agent (cut by Bears, Broncos)
4. Dan LeFevour (QB) Free agent (cut by multiple teams)
5. J'Marcus Webb (OL) Free agent

Lions
1. Ndamukong Suh (DL) Starter, Pro Bowl
2. Jahvid Best (RB) Retired due to injury
3. Amari Spievey (S) Free agent (injury problems)
4. Jason Fox (OL) Still with team, I think he was a starter in 2013
5. Willie Young (DL) Signed 3-year contract with Bears, projected 2014 starter
7. Tim Toone (WR) Mr. Irrelevant of the 2010 draft, currently a free agent
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

720pete wrote:I was curious so I looked at who other NFC North teams drafted in '10. The Packers seem to have done the best job of anyone.

Packers
1. Bryan Bulaga (OL) Still with team, may be a starter next year (Injured reserve in 2013-14 season)
2. Mike Neal (ILB) Still with team, will compete to be a starter next year
3. Morgan Burnett (FS) Still with team, one of best of Packers secondary
4. Andrew Quarless (TE) Still with team, will compete to replace Finley this year
5. Marshall Newhouse (OL) Signed a contract with Bengals, was a starting Offensive lineman for 2 years with Packers
7. C.J. Wilson (DL) Free agent

Bears
1. Major Wright (S) Free Agent (cut by Bears)
2. Corey Wooton (DL) Now playing for Vikes, likely a backup
3. Joshua Moore (CB) Free agent (cut by Bears, Broncos)
4. Dan LeFevour (QB) Free agent (cut by multiple teams)
5. J'Marcus Webb (OL) Free agent

Lions
1. Ndamukong Suh (DL) Starter, Pro Bowl
2. Jahvid Best (RB) Retired due to injury
3. Amari Spievey (S) Free agent (injury problems)
4. Jason Fox (OL) Still with team, I think he was a starter in 2013
5. Willie Young (DL) Signed 3-year contract with Bears, projected 2014 starter
7. Tim Toone (WR) Mr. Irrelevant of the 2010 draft, currently a free agent
Thanks for the info. That wasn't a very good draft for the Bears!
mmvikes
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by mmvikes »

How about the 2009 draft.
1st-Stafford, above avg QB. Has he won a playoff game yet?
2nd-Jason Smith, cut repeatedly
3rd- Tyson Jackson. 1st round bust who had turned one good year into 25mill
4th- Aaron Curry. Bust. on his third team.
5th Mark Sanchez. Currently out of work.
6th-Andre Smith. Finally became a starting right tackle in 2011
7th Darrius Heywood Bey-Bust.
8th-Eugene Monroe. one of top tackes in this years free agent class
9th-BJ Raji- hahahahaha
10th-Crabtree. top notch
11th-Aaron Maybin. Bust
Add Larry English, Josh Freeman, Robert Ayers,

What a piss poor year for the NFL draft
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

mmvikes wrote:How about the 2009 draft.
1st-Stafford, above avg QB. Has he won a playoff game yet?
2nd-Jason Smith, cut repeatedly
3rd- Tyson Jackson. 1st round bust who had turned one good year into 25mill
4th- Aaron Curry. Bust. on his third team.
5th Mark Sanchez. Currently out of work.
6th-Andre Smith. Finally became a starting right tackle in 2011
7th Darrius Heywood Bey-Bust.
8th-Eugene Monroe. one of top tackes in this years free agent class
9th-BJ Raji- hahahahaha
10th-Crabtree. top notch
11th-Aaron Maybin. Bust
Add Larry English, Josh Freeman, Robert Ayers,

What a piss poor year for the NFL draft
Yeah, it's crazy how those names still stand out, five years later, even though so many were complete disappointments.

Aaron Maybin:
On January 25, 2013, Maybin was signed by the Cincinnati Bengals to a Reserve/Future contract. On August 18, 2013, he was released by the Bengals.
Say it isn't so. I guess that's one that Mike Zimmer had to throw back.