Joe Webb leaves Vikings to play QB for Panthers

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Eli
Hall of Famer

Re: Joe Webb leaves Vikings to play QB for Panthers

Post by Eli »

DarthBrooks wrote:It would be hilarious if Webb (and Ponder!) became competent because of decent coaching.
I know I wouldn't be laughing very hard if that happened. I think the chances are incredibly slim, though.
NextQuestion
Career Elite Player

Post by NextQuestion »

Kind of wonder if he had been coached under QB guru coaches like Harbaugh where he'd be at. He isn't Kaepernick by any means, but I think he coulda realized what his strengths were.
Pull yr 84 jerseys out.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

NextQuestion wrote:Kind of wonder if he had been coached under QB guru coaches like Harbaugh where he'd be at. He isn't Kaepernick by any means, but I think he coulda realized what his strengths were.
We saw Webb's strengths. He's good at running and improvising when plays break down, using his athletic ability to punish defenses. He has a strong arm but he doesn't seem to see the field particularly well and his reaction under pressure is (somewhat understandably) to run. Keep him in the pocket, force him to read the field and make accurate throws, and he struggles.
Webbfann
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Webbfann »

Mothman wrote: We saw Webb's strengths. He's good at running and improvising when plays break down, using his athletic ability to punish defenses. He has a strong arm but he doesn't seem to see the field particularly well and his reaction under pressure is (somewhat understandably) to run. Keep him in the pocket, force him to read the field and make accurate throws, and he struggles.
This is a good assessment except for one thing: it fails to recognize how few chances he actually got to learn how to react, and of course that he was coached by Larry and Moe. I at least recognized and mentioned that while having all the athletic ability to succeed he was not a natural. Thats where coaching and experience come in. Naturals dont need nearly as much of that, but Joe got very little. It will be interesting to see what he can do under a different system. Maybe he will succeed and maybe not, but he certainly deserved that chance.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Webbfann wrote:This is a good assessment except for one thing: it fails to recognize how few chances he actually got to learn how to react, and of course that he was coached by Larry and Moe.
His strengths and weaknesses are, in all likelihood, what limited his number of chances he had to play. Talking about what they are doesn't exclude the potential that he could improve with increased playing time but that potential remains unrealized.

As for the coaching... Musgrave is no dolt, regardless of how many fans choose to believe otherwise. He's been around the game and the QB position a long time and he is well-respected in the NFL for his ability to work with qurterbacks. Blaming Webb's shortcomings on him is just passing the buck.
I at least recognized and mentioned that while having all the athletic ability to succeed he was not a natural. Thats where coaching and experience come in. Naturals dont need nearly as much of that, but Joe got very little.
That's another excuse, and one with no verifiable basis. I seriously doubt Webb got "very little" coaching in over 3 years on the Vikings roster as a QB, including one full season as the second QB on the depth chart. If he got very little coaching, what was he doing in practice every day, handing out towels?
It will be interesting to see what he can do under a different system. Maybe he will succeed and maybe not, but he certainly deserved that chance.
I'm glad he got the chance and I hope it works out well for him. It will be interesting to see what happens, assuming he ever sees the field.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Carolina has no experienced wide out either
So for them he can possibly cover two big holes
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

when webb started at qb for us against green bay in the playoffs it was one of the worst performances i've ever seen. after the first drive when we kicked the field goal, at no point were we even in that game it was sickening to watch.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

mosscarter wrote:when webb started at qb for us against green bay in the playoffs it was one of the worst performances i've ever seen. after the first drive when we kicked the field goal, at no point were we even in that game it was sickening to watch.
Shhh. Let's not talk about those things. I'm finally starting to heal. :)
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

The game itself was actually anticlimactic. Once they announced Joe Webb would be starting, you knew the Vikings didn't have a snowball's chance in Hell. And that's exactly how it turned out.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Eli wrote:The game itself was actually anticlimactic. Once they announced Joe Webb would be starting, you knew the Vikings didn't have a snowball's chance in Hell. And that's exactly how it turned out.
And yet, Frazier was all smiles like he had some secret weapon in Webb. Yep, just until we stopped what was working.

Admittedly, I was excited after that first drive...but that died down pretty quickly. lol Good ol' Vikes!

I like Webb, though...just not as a starting QB. I hope he gets on the field in Carolina and has some success. Would be nice.
Webbfann
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Webbfann »

mosscarter wrote:when webb started at qb for us against green bay in the playoffs it was one of the worst performances i've ever seen. after the first drive when we kicked the field goal, at no point were we even in that game it was sickening to watch.
Yeah, and he should have done a lot better with all the snaps he took that year and how perfect Moe's pocket-passer game plan was for his skill set. :roll:
DarthBrooks
Transition Player

Post by DarthBrooks »

During that first drive they used up the plays they had for him, after that those plays were abandoned, and he was thrown into an offense he wasn't prepared for. Think about that. He had not been prepared to start. Joe's whole and total role was a gimmick play here and there. He was not taught or prepared in case Ponder went down. The NFL is a tough place and even the best QB's get injured. OUR (former) GENIUS BOY Bill Musgrave decided he was fine with the backup QB not knowing the offense.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

DarthBrooks wrote:During that first drive they used up the plays they had for him, after that those plays were abandoned, and he was thrown into an offense he wasn't prepared for. Think about that. He had not been prepared to start. Joe's whole and total role was a gimmick play here and there. He was not taught or prepared in case Ponder went down. The NFL is a tough place and even the best QB's get injured. OUR (former) GENIUS BOY Bill Musgrave decided he was fine with the backup QB not knowing the offense.
They ran some read option plays on the first series that they had installed specifically for Webb but that didn't represent his entire knowledge of their offense. Those were just newly-installed plays tailored to his skills.

Webb was prepared. He knew the offense. Last summer, when he was converting to WR full time, there were reports that his knowledge of the offense was not only helping him make the transition but that he knew enough about it to help other young receivers line up and understand their roles in the offense.

He definitely prepared for the playoff game at GB. There were numerous reports leading up to the game about him taking the majority of the snaps during the week.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf ... b/1811203/
Frazier said Webb received plenty of practice reps as Ponder watched during the week and professed confidence in the backup.
From the Associated Press:
His participation in practice this week was limited and Webb took many of the turns with the first team offense. Ponder was listed as questionable on the injury report, though, and he took only about a dozen soft, short throws in early warm-ups.
There is simply no reason to believe Musgrave or anyone else on the Vikings was "fine with the backup QB not knowing the offense".
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Webb's problems in that game had nothing to do with knowledge of the offense, although the playbook did seem to be dumbed down a bit. They had everything to do with execution. And ability.