Joe Webb leaves Vikings to play QB for Panthers

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Eli
Hall of Famer

Re: Joe Webb leaves Vikings to play QB for Panthers

Post by Eli »

I certainly wish him the best of luck. Joe Webb is a great kid.

But he didn't leave the Vikings. He clearly wasn't coming back.
King James
All Pro Elite Player

Post by King James »

I figured last season was his last as a Viking. I feel like the only reason he even made the roster last year because Frazier was big on him. We're pretty much expandable at WR it seems.

Nice that he gets to try the QB position again in Carolina. I hope it works out for him. The fact that Cam Newton is injured may give Webb a lot of opportunities to work with the 1st string players in camp. I don't know if he ever got a chance to work with the ones during the offseason here.
Webbfann
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Webbfann »

Well that blows, but I will be sure to point it out every time he proves all his detractors wrong with a new team. Webb's talents were utterly wasted here.
radar55
All Pro Elite Player

Post by radar55 »

He couldn't make it as a QB here and yet he goes to Carolina where Newton is not only worlds better than Webb could ever be, but Newton is younger as well. I hope Webb will enjoy spending the rest of his career (?) on the sidelines holding a clipboard.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

radar55 wrote:He couldn't make it as a QB here and yet he goes to Carolina where Newton is not only worlds better than Webb could ever be, but Newton is younger as well. I hope Webb will enjoy spending the rest of his career (?) on the sidelines holding a clipboard.
While getting paid handsomely to do. Sounds like a good gig to me. :P
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

Wishing Joe Webb lots of success in Carolina. He was a team guy and did everything he was ever asked to do without ever complaining or showing anything less than complete class. It's a shame he will be most remembered for that horrible playoff performance in Green Bay. He actually played well at other times.

Last season, he didn't catch a lot of balls, but he blocked his butt off on a lot of plays and he played ST very well, too. I still have no idea why the Vikes didn't throw to him more in the end zone, with his size and vertical ability. The only throw to him in the end zone I can remember is when Ponder just totally overthrew him on an easy lob where he was wide open.

Anyway, good luck, Joe!
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

PacificNorseWest wrote: While getting paid handsomely to do. Sounds like a good gig to me. :P
:lol: I agree - It's nice work, if you're fortunate enough to find it. :)
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
maembe
Franchise Player

Post by maembe »

Dmizzle wrote:Yea I think a signing like this just shows me that some players dont really care about excelling in their careers its about the money but its not a bad thing. I guess their motivations change after a few years in the NFL.

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using Tapatalk
Because he was excelling at wide receiver?
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

I wish Joe Webb the best of luck. He seems like a great guy and he's an outstanding athlete.

Too bad Webb wasn't a better QB. Given his character and athletic abilities, it would have been great if he could read defenses and deliver consistently accurate passes.
Webbfann
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Webbfann »

Webb can hardly be blamed for incompetent coaching from Larry and Moe. He may not be a natural but a good coach could have gotten sooo much more out of him.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

I really liked Webb and I wish him well. I had hopes the Vikes might find a way to get him on the field more in those short-yardage and goal-to-go situations where his leaping ability and size should have created some mismatches. But, when you have guys like Jerome Simpson (ala the Michael Jordan of WRs according to Musgrave), guys have to wait their turn.

Hopefully Webb's incredible athletic gifts aren't fully wasted in Carolina and they find a way to get him on the field more than the Vikings did even if he is listed as a QB.
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

Dmizzle wrote: Well I think he could have went to a different place if he wanted to have a better chance to excell at qb but hey, maybe the change of scenary might help him

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using Tapatalk

I doubt Webb had a large choice of suitors. Not like teams were lining up to make him their starting qb
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

If Webb really sees himself as a QB he needs to get some glasses PRONTO
DarthBrooks
Transition Player

Post by DarthBrooks »

Webbfann wrote:Webb can hardly be blamed for incompetent coaching from Larry and Moe. He may not be a natural but a good coach could have gotten sooo much more out of him.
It would be hilarious if Webb (and Ponder!) became competent because of decent coaching. For the last three years none of the Viking players have improved and the offense has consistently looked out of rhythm. I though Joe had potential. When he was throw in the playoff game he was thrown in unprepared. To be on the team for that long and not be ready beyond a handful of plays showed grossly incompetent coaching.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

DarthBrooks wrote: It would be hilarious if Webb (and Ponder!) became competent because of decent coaching. For the last three years none of the Viking players have improved and the offense has consistently looked out of rhythm. I though Joe had potential. When he was throw in the playoff game he was thrown in unprepared. To be on the team for that long and not be ready beyond a handful of plays showed grossly incompetent coaching.
:rofl: "Larry and Moe" know more about football and coaching than any of us ever will but it's always easier to blame the coach than the player(s). They're just chess pieces, right?

Webb was prepared for that GB game. He simply didn't play well. When a defense can contain him in the pocket, he's just not a very a good NFL QB.