Kevin Williams

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Kevin Williams

Post by Mothman »

As the Vikings have continued to sign free agents not named Kevin Williams, it's become increasingly clear that he probably won't be back with the team this year. he certainly doesn't seem to think so . he still wants to play and i suspect someone will give him that chance but if his time with the Vikings is up, it's sad to see him go. He's helped carry on a long tradition of great play from the Vikings defensive tackle position.

Ben Goessling has written a piece about the Vikings remodeling their defensive line and he ended it with this:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_ ... ne-remodel
Allen and the Vikings decided to part ways before the start of free agency, and while general manager Rick Spielman said the Vikings would keep the door open for Willliams, it seemed obvious the Vikings had other plans. Williams said Wednesday he hadn't heard from the Vikings in a week, and the team signed Johnson to add depth at the three-technique tackle position the same day. And then, to make the inevitable somewhat official, he told the St. Paul Pioneer Press on Thursday night he was even more sure his time with the Vikings was over.

It's a coldly efficient way for one of the Vikings' great defensive players to see his time with the team end, but it's the order of the NFL in 2014. The Vikings have swept through their defensive line remodel with little attachment to their past, and they've come out from at least the first phase of it with a markedly different look to the group. The ultimate success of their plan will depend on young players -- most notably Griffen and Floyd -- turning their potential into legitimate production, but at some point, the Vikings had to detach from their past and attempt going in this direction.
Maybe Williams will still end up returning but I doubt it and if his time in Minnesota is really over, I have to say I think the Vikings have been a little too "coldly efficient" in the way they've gone about things. If they didn't intend to re-sign Williams, it seems to me they could have just told him so. A great Vikings player shouldn't just get the cold shoulder and be casually cast aside and ignored when the team is ready to move on. He deserves more respect than that. Now, maybe the Vikings haven't said anything because they've been viewing him as a fallback option if other moves didn't pan out but if they know they don't want Williams back then I hope before this is all over, they'll be a little less cold to a guy who has played some great football for them.
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Kevin Williams

Post by VikingPaul73 »

Agreed!!!!!
Well put.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I'll miss KWill too but as the article says, it's the nature of the business. He'll find employment elsewhere if he wants it and he's made more money playing a game as a career than most people would ever see. The Vikings gave Childs free rehab, I think that was pretty generous. They let both their stars on the D-line play out their contract. There was no obligation beyond that contract by either party so I really don't see any issue. Best of luck to him.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Mothman wrote:If they didn't intend to re-sign Williams, it seems to me they could have just told him so. A great Vikings player shouldn't just get the cold shoulder and be casually cast aside and ignored when the team is ready to move on. He deserves more respect than that.
I agree, and that has been my frustration...

I understand moving on and whatnot, but I don't agree with how they are handling it.

I didn't like the Winfield thing, and I don't like this.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Yeah, I don't get it. A GM should keep the communication going with players like Williams. Call him and let him know updates or thoughts on his future. It's all a part of being a classy organization. It may be small things, but it goes a long way in the outlook of an entire franchise. Players hear about this stuff all the time in the locker room and if an organization consistently shows that they don't handle their own players with the utmost respect then that could be an underlying reason why a top free agent doesn't come here. Money usually does the talking, but it can notch Minnesota down a few pegs or at least make them run after their first contract is up, so they don't end with the same fate.
KSViking
Veteran

Post by KSViking »

Mothman wrote:As the Vikings have continued to sign free agents not named Kevin Williams, it's become increasingly clear that he probably won't be back with the team this year. he certainly doesn't seem to think so . he still wants to play and i suspect someone will give him that chance but if his time with the Vikings is up, it's sad to see him go. He's helped carry on a long tradition of great play from the Vikings defensive tackle position.

Ben Goessling has written a piece about the Vikings remodeling their defensive line and he ended it with this:

Maybe Williams will still end up returning but I doubt it and if his time in Minnesota is really over, I have to say I think the Vikings have been a little too "coldly efficient" in the way they've gone about things. If they didn't intend to re-sign Williams, it seems to me they could have just told him so. A great Vikings player shouldn't just get the cold shoulder and be casually cast aside and ignored when the team is ready to move on. He deserves more respect than that. Now, maybe the Vikings haven't said anything because they've been viewing him as a fallback option if other moves didn't pan out but if they know they don't want Williams back then I hope before this is all over, they'll be a little less cold to a guy who has played some great football for them.
The business side of the NFL leaves a bad taste in my mouth more and more every year. From both a Players and an Organizational stand point. Take Jared Allen, whom I haven't made it any secret that he is one of my fav players ever. Maybe we signed Griffin, and perhaps he feels he wanted to go to some contender. I don't know. But I can guaranfrickentee that he was not about to go to Rick Spielman and say. Hey, the Market has not been kind to me. I'm even considering a deal that would only pay me 4 million dollars a year. Would the Vikings, a team who has already made me rich beyond what I will probably spend in my lifetime, be interested in matching a 3 year 12 mil offer so that I can finish my days as a Viking.. an org that has done so much for me. No, there is no consideration by the player beyond his own needs/wants. We as fans are sort of like children stuck in the middle of divorcing parents. We like the Vikings Organization, and want it to succeed (be happy) but when they part ways with our favorite players, people we also are very fond of, we see both sides, having little or no consideration for the other party and everyone just says "Its just business". I understand it, but I don't like this piece of the business.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Spielman.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

S197 wrote:I'll miss KWill too but as the article says, it's the nature of the business. He'll find employment elsewhere if he wants it and he's made more money playing a game as a career than most people would ever see. The Vikings gave Childs free rehab, I think that was pretty generous. They let both their stars on the D-line play out their contract. There was no obligation beyond that contract by either party so I really don't see any issue. Best of luck to him.

I agree with this take. Also, consider that Spielman's retention will never be contingent on how nice he was to some aging veteran but on how many wins the franchise racks up. I get that it isn't "nice" but how nice is it if Spielman gets canned? Let's face it, would anyone want the GM's retention to be based on how nice he is to fan favorites?

Obviously there is a balance here, you can't be total jerk either or you will have issues signing FAs. However, both guys played out their deals, so it isn't like they were just sent packing. Also, we do not know if they were in fact offered deals that they turned down. All we know is that they haven't signed with us.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Mothman wrote:As the Vikings have continued to sign free agents not named Kevin Williams, it's become increasingly clear that he probably won't be back with the team this year. he certainly doesn't seem to think so . he still wants to play and i suspect someone will give him that chance but if his time with the Vikings is up, it's sad to see him go. He's helped carry on a long tradition of great play from the Vikings defensive tackle position.

Good thoughts here, Jim. The issue of business and ethics is fraught. My guess is that they truly did not know, at the opening of FA, whether they would need/want KW's services. If they knew one way or another, I think they would have said as much, as they have with other players. It was all contingent upon whom they could acquire. There's A LOT of variables that play out in FA and leaving some situations undecided/ ambiguous is just part of the deal. Perhaps it's a necessary evil in order to ensure the best for your organization. Doing things with integrity is also important; Karma isn't just some hippy-drippy nonsense. What goes around certainly does come around. I wonder if that was an issue with Antoine.

I honestly don't think that I have enough information about this particular situation (KW's) to have a firm conviction about it.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

^I agree.

They probably wanted to see if they can bring in other FA DT's before doing anything with Williams. I think the only questionable tactic here is the lines of communication being shutdown, which is a little disrespectful for someone who gave a lot to the organization. Everyone, by this point, is familiar that it's a business, but businesses can also be classy organizations.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

PacificNorseWest wrote:^I agree.

They probably wanted to see if they can bring in other FA DT's before doing anything with Williams. I think the only questionable tactic here is the lines of communication being shutdown, which is a little disrespectful for someone who gave a lot to the organization. Everyone, by this point, is familiar that it's a business, but businesses can also be classy organizations.

Free Agency is still afoot, right? Perhaps they haven't finished addressing the DL. For all we know, he may still be in their plans, as dubious as that appears.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Also true.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

I’m guessing they haven’t communicated with him to this point because “we want you if we can’t sign some younger guys … “probably isn’t flattering but it’s definitely not helpful. I would expect if they are done filling the position that they’ll let him know he’s out of the running.

However, like some others have mentioned, it’s also possible that they’re letting Williams test his market first so if they make him a lower offer it’s not seen as an insult but rather based on market value.

Free agency is still going on and there are too many variables to say the Vikings have handled this poorly yet. If the situation is the same in a couple of weeks I’ll be chiming in to agree the organization handled it poorly.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PacificNorseWest wrote:Yeah, I don't get it. A GM should keep the communication going with players like Williams. Call him and let him know updates or thoughts on his future. It's all a part of being a classy organization. It may be small things, but it goes a long way in the outlook of an entire franchise.
Well said. That's my view as well. it's not about what the Vikings are obligated to do or what Spielman has to do to keep his job. It's just about treating someone who deserves respect in a respectful manner. A little communication can go a long way.
Texas Vike wrote:Good thoughts here, Jim. The issue of business and ethics is fraught. My guess is that they truly did not know, at the opening of FA, whether they would need/want KW's services. If they knew one way or another, I think they would have said as much, as they have with other players. It was all contingent upon whom they could acquire. There's A LOT of variables that play out in FA and leaving some situations undecided/ ambiguous is just part of the deal. Perhaps it's a necessary evil in order to ensure the best for your organization. Doing things with integrity is also important; Karma isn't just some hippy-drippy nonsense. What goes around certainly does come around. I wonder if that was an issue with Antoine.

I honestly don't think that I have enough information about this particular situation (KW's) to have a firm conviction about it.
I don't either and I'm not condemning the Vikings for the way they've handled this, especially because free agency isn't over, they still have a cap room and this is a story with no ending right now. It's just disappointing to read comments from Williams that give the impression he has no idea what the Vikes are thinking because he hasn't heard from them in over a week. He seems to think his career in Minnesota is over and the mere fact that he doesn't know is discouraging to me.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Respect? He wants respect he can check his bank account.

What have you done for me lately?

We let a veteran on the backside of his career hit free agency, and we're suppose to ring him like his mom to make sure he's kept in the loop? :confused: